New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tiree  (Read 6231 times)

Online The Q

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Tiree
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2018, 07:10:12 AM »
If you look on the net for painting Heather you definitely don't  miss anything....

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #121 on: November 24, 2018, 07:36:38 PM »
Most of today was spent continuing the build of the transport carriage for boards 1and 2.

I found I had previously  made an error in the design of the end door which lifts up to make part of the layout supports.  It gave a 1inch step to the supposedly  flat surface.  After some thought and searching through the spare wood pile a suitable batten was found to raise the top edge of the rest of the layout..  It surprisingly stiffened the entire carriage a lot.

Two legs were made,  the socket for the adjustable foot indicated for it's size I needed a 2.5 inch square leg, which is a hefty lump of wood to cart around (X8) so I used 1.25inch square 31 inches long.  To which I screwed four 4 inch long 1 inch batten bits around the bottom., to this is screwed the socket.  It looks like a bit like a square rocket with 4 boosters strapped round the bottom.

One leg for each door has a hinge on top and folds inside the carriage,  the other has to be removable as it would fold into the space where the internally carried section of the layout is, so it has a clip fitted to the top.

These adjustable feet  are meant to support kitchen cabinets,  and you can get clips which would normally hold the kick board below the cabinets.  I've screwed a set of these clips to hold the adjustable  feet on the inside of the door when not in use.

Tasks left to do,
Fit the lifting  handles when they arrive.
Fit the floor and side to the electronics bay  above the storage space for the internally carried layout board.
Paint the inside white,
Fill and paint the outside Highland Railways Olive Green

And then....

Screw  layout board one, on top, with a piano hinge down one side and catches on the other

And then...

Build two more
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 07:47:35 PM by The Q »

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2018, 11:30:34 PM »
Evening all,
Just back from the MRC,  with lower numbers this week due to sickness...

The Heather was dark blue this week so I've coated it with blue / pink mix of the new paint, we'll see how that works. However even with more trimming I still don't think it looks the  right shape.  The colour was good though when I left.

I attacked the cliff faces with a sharp knife to get more crevices I'm not sure that was entirely successful. With the carefully studying of Highland hillside cuttings I came to the conclusion  I had too many big loose rocks on the downhill side.  So most were removed, it's a great improvement. After that another different shade grey mix was painted over. I think next week it's time to introduce  some black and brown shading.

The folding side/ front scenery board was attached to board 3 and the main layers of polystyrene  PVA'd on, its now weighted down for the week.

Next week  I hope to bring back board 1 so I can set up the reshaped viaduct piers,  there is temporarily space in the club room before they start the next layout.

I had a thought  about a small cameo if I can find room for it. Peat cutting and stacking,  very much a Highland and island way of life if not on Tiree because they had exhausted the peat of Tiree in the 1700s and the Duke of Argyll gave the islanders permission to cut peat on the main land.
 I can remember  on the school bus children getting on and if the weather was good it would stop and drop them off at the peat cuttings.  Then pick them up on the way back home.  If it was bad weather they went to school...

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #123 on: December 01, 2018, 05:27:34 PM »
I've been shown some excellent work by southern42 aka Ray and Polly on the Camel Quay layout on rmweb ( page 29 post 720 gives the best view and information )   This  showed his modellled Heather,  using dyed lichen,  and a almost dust like beads of the correct colour glued on.
 much better than my efforts so far.  Hence an order for said lichen has been placed.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 08:08:00 PM by The Q »

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2018, 07:30:12 AM »
I've been thinking of the current main station design as I'm not happy with it and realised what's wrong  is that it has two island platforms.  Island platforms are as rare as hens teeth on the highland railways or the west highland lines. Also the platforms are narrow not allowing station buildings on them.

This means I can choose to,
1 keep the layout as it is and design a building and foot bridge that's not quite west
and or  Highland.

2 move the feed in to the branchline to after the platform, keeping the current pair of main line tracks through the middle. Making a island platform an outside platform.

3, remove one of main lines and a island platform replacing it on to outside of the branch line moving the branch turnout to after the station. This would give the wide Cess that is a characteristic of the Kyle line.

Then to the station building after much sketching I've decided that the Kyle station doesn't work for the available space. 
I fancied Strathpeffer station but the ornate station awning I think is beyond my modelling skills. 
So at the moment Stromeferry station is favourite,  while it still had an overall roof,  is my favourite,  unusual enough to provide interest,  but simple to build.

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2018, 10:09:20 AM »
apple green
light apple green,
olive green,
light olive green,
moss green,
light moss green,
quaker green
brunswick green,
Scotch green
and improved engine green.

All colours I've seen associated with Highland railways locomotives main body colour!!!
There are 8 colour plates in the book Dathan an Gaidhealtachd, Highland liveries.
So I've chosen one and am attempting to paint the travelling carriages in a shade near one of them. I've painted the outside in a modified paint colour (as an undercoat)  that I've attempted to match to the colours, it's not quite there yet I need to buy more yellow to mix in..

Also in that book, the lineside paintwork colours, very useful that..

The electronic bay inside was constructed in the first carriage., just had an Idea how to do the control panel, drawing will commence shortly to see if it will work..
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 10:12:15 AM by The Q »

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2018, 07:59:33 AM »
I was studying Highland railways locomotives last night, and came across HR number 56.
 Designed by Willaim Stoodley for HR, who went on the design the terriers for the LBSC..
If you see here https://chasewaterstuff.wordpress.com/category/steam-locomotive-classes-of-a-leisurely-era/page/16/  and look down the pictures. You'll see the definate family resemblance.
 I feel the purchase of a secondhand LBSC terrier coming on, along with the sharpening of some craft knives...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 08:08:41 AM by The Q »

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #127 on: Yesterday at 05:37:31 PM »
We're  back,  for which I am grateful, I hope the shift of server is successful.

So Friday,  I took  board 1 back to the club, after putting up another trestle,   attached it to board 2 then tried to place the viaduct in situ,  it took a bit for chiseling of the "ground" to make the piers fit, once done, pollyfilla was poured into the foundations and left to set.

After that, the track no longer needed on board one was removed,  previously lifting track was easy, just wet the ballast to loosen the glue, pull a few track pins and up it came.  This section was absolutely solid,  and had to be chiseled away.
 This allowed a single track  tunnel mouth to be installed,  also set in place with polyfilla.

Then the removable  section of scenery (over the tunnel)  was pollyfilla 'd  to match the new tunnel mouth, though this will require adjustment Next Week.

I was going to take board one back home, but was told I can leave it a few weeks as the next club layout to be built won't be needing the space till after the festivities.

Next week I hope to adjust the removable section to fit and then take a photo or two for you. Then colour matching will occur,  between the boards.. Particularly the grey rocks..
Then I hope matching tracks on board 1 with the new layout of tracks on 2 and 3.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything