!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sonmel  (Read 33458 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Sonmel
« Reply #615 on: July 18, 2019, 12:11:42 PM »
Ferry Interesting

The great tidy up after the bier festival is almost complete. The German bier wagons make their way to the ferry terminal for the homeward journey.

Some time later... (if I told you how long you would be able to start to calculate where Sonmel could be located  :telloff:)

the ferry returns from West Porthsea with some new visitors and three wagons of Fine Foaming Ale. Please note that this Ale is simply a re-provision for the island. We are not yet ready for another beer festival.

A big thank you to CiP for arranging for the wagons to be routed out to Sonmel.  :beers:

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #616 on: July 18, 2019, 12:36:25 PM »
Many thanks, Keith, for these terrific pictures.  I allowed my attention to wonder from the fine, foaming ale to admire, once again, the row of houses.  Are these Kestrel kits?

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #617 on: July 18, 2019, 08:52:18 PM »
  :hellosign:. Thanks Keith  :greatpicturessign: looking good   :thumbsup:
  A twice weekly ferry on a day return would fit Very nicely in to the trainferry scheduling,
     regards Derek.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #618 on: July 18, 2019, 09:14:23 PM »
Many thanks, Keith, for these terrific pictures.  I allowed my attention to wonder from the fine, foaming ale to admire, once again, the row of houses.  Are these Kestrel kits?

Best wishes.

John

Thank you John. Yes, they are indeed Kestrel kits. The one on the right is the row of 4 terraced cottages. On the left is the double shop units. Both have the same footprint. They are good kits and quite straightforward to construct. Not super scary at all.  ;)

You can see that the cottages have guttering and drainpipes. These are not as supplied in the kit, I felt that the supplied ones were rather overscale. The guttering and downpipes are by Ratio. You can buy them as a kit. The downpipes were a tad short, hence the improvised barrels as water butts. Note also that I have yet to fit the guttering to the shops! I need to find my round tuit......

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #619 on: July 18, 2019, 09:20:51 PM »
  A twice weekly ferry on a day return would fit Very nicely in to the trainferry scheduling,
     regards Derek.

Thank you Derek. Is it possible that you are trying to calculate the position of Sonmel?

Let me say that a day return would not be possible between West Portsea and Sonmel. (Well not in a conventionally powered ferry). I do hope that this will not cause too much disruption to your scheduling.  :uneasy:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #620 on: July 18, 2019, 09:43:01 PM »
     regards Derek.

Thank you Derek. Is it possible that you are trying to calculate the position of Sonmel?

Let me say that a day return would not be possible between West Portsea and Sonmel. (Well not in a conventionally powered ferry). I do hope that this will not cause too much disruption to your scheduling.  :uneasy:
  :hellosign: Thanks Keith, if it`s not North or South it must be East or West of wherever   :doh:
     regards Derek.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #621 on: July 18, 2019, 09:49:14 PM »
Many thanks for the excellent photos., Keith. Good to see that the three vans arrived safely. The BR Grey ShocVan is indeed full of best West Country ales as hurriedly organised at Lord Trevelver's insistence but, due to the infrequent ferry service, arrived just too late for the festival. The unpainted brown van is an SR design for reliverying, maybe Sonmel yellow? Whilst the other van is an LNER design and is already in an unknown livery but could be reliveried to suit? They were organised by the Wadebridge Yardmaster being surplus to BR requirements. Rather than send them empty, they were loaded at West Porthsea with supplies for the island, including some fine food as well as alcoholic beverages which had just arrived there from the Continent. [Ask Chris, Weave.]

The "Chelsea Girls" were informed by the Honorary Consul that train ferries to Sonmel are not a regular event and even twice a week would be too frequent for the very limited commerce and visitors allowed, Derek. Even getting a tourist visa for the Republic of Rockall is easier and that is almost impossible! In both cases, you need a prior invitation and to pass a rigorous interview by the respective Honorary Consul (who you have to, first, track down, although Rockall's is easier to find).

I too am a great admirer of the harbour cottages and the use of Ratio guttering and drainpipes; however, I have something different in mind for the very short railway terrace at Cant Cove.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 09:51:48 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #622 on: Yesterday at 11:37:33 AM »
Nice photos Keith.
Bier Festival? I was expecting to see an undertakers convention  :smiley-laughing:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #623 on: Yesterday at 11:43:28 AM »
Sofia is still rather put out at how quickly Catalia had captured Christian's heart (and Christian Sofia's). There's nothing like a very handsome, very eligible bachelor to come between even the best female friends! Catalia, however, fully understands why Sofia is rather put out and, on the ferry back from Sonmel, after many many very pleasurable private activities, Sofia suggests that Christian really should meet Giles Roskrow and visit his Chelsea wine and spirits importing business. To Sofia's surprise, Christian nonchalantly replies with a grin that Giles is a good friend and had, already invited both of them to visit him in Chelsea but he had wanted to keep that a surprise. In fact, Christian, informs her, he already had 1st class tickets and seat and restaurant car reservations for them on the Western Region boat train that would be waiting at West Porthsea Quay to convey them, in style, (here Christian winked), to Paddington.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £90.00
Below Goal: £70.00
Site Currency: GBP
56% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything