!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Tora Bora Line  (Read 5018 times)

Astonp and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Dizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
Re: The Tora Bora Line
« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2018, 10:58:08 PM »
Laser cut 1/32" ply profile to tidy up the front edge and blend in with the remainder then wacked on some undercoat.

Cut balsa block and glued together to make the higher ground the White Horse Hotel stands on.  I need to check the map and do some scaling so I can mark out the building foot print then I can carve/sand the land.......but that will have to wait until Thursday evening.

Online Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2018, 09:30:15 PM »
Have messed around with the station plan in Auto Cad and printed the relevant area to see the relationship between the various buildings and a ground plan for the White Horse Hotel.  Am happy it is all going to fit ok.  Although the Ratio station building is probably too small (as the signal box, shelter and foot bridge all line up pretty well with the scaled plan)..........it will have to do! 

Have carved some more balsa block to deepen the up storage loop cutting to the rear of the up platform.  I want to be able "hide" a full length express passenger train or 2+8 HST in there.  Coaches obvious............

Coaches not so obvious with the balsa banking :)

I will get a little more height on the embankment with some bushes and small trees in due course.  High ground for the hotel makes a positive difference to the overall impression too.
Got the bit between my teeth now I am seeing progress again :bounce:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 11:43:39 PM by Dizz »

Online Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #137 on: December 07, 2018, 02:41:36 PM »
I am about to complete the basic scenic work on the main line sections of my man-cave layout.  All sections are based on real locations in South Devon and Cornwall with an appropriate dose of artistic licence and fictional development.  Full back ground information is on the first couple of pages of this thread.

As a follower of the “Alternative Cornwall” threads it occurred to me that when their usual line north of Dartmoor to Exeter was not available some of the Cornish traffic would be seen crossing the Tamar and then moving through South Devon (definite Tora Bora territory) whilst making it’s way up the line. 
In my fictional world, Churston Station lies on the main line from Newton Abbot to Plymouth via a South Hams route (as was briefly proposed at one point in the very early days), so the Cornish traffic would also interact with that to/from the Brixham branch.  Earlier this week I approached Martin (and Chris through Martin) to ask if it would be possible for me to join in and occasionally add posts from my “Alternative South Devon”.   I’m very pleased to say that I have had the thumbs up to that! :claphappy:
I’m expecting to finish the basic scenic work on Churston Station and get trains running again by 20 December.  Today I have ordered several NGS wagon kits to build and finish in appropriate liveries over the Christmas period, so hopefully there will be through-workings from Cornwall to show in the New Year.
As they say…………………watch this space!!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 02:42:51 PM by Dizz »

Online Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #138 on: December 14, 2018, 09:57:17 PM »
Have cracked on in the last week whilst the forum was being upgraded.....
I have made my own N gauge version of the White Horse Hotel.
Started with a couple of photos:

I don't have views of the other 2 sides so they are only a best guess.  I have taken a few liberties in general which I’m sure people will notice, but it speeded up the the drawing process and simplified construction.  After saving the .dxf there is a second stage to lay out the parts for the laser cutter and set the laser power/speed combinations.  This software then sends the code direct to the laser to do it’s stuff.

I need to do some levelling work on the top of the hill.  Windows are glazed with Humbrol Clearfix which is still drying: it will go clear by the morning. 

Happy so far........

Online Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #139 on: December 14, 2018, 10:09:27 PM »
Have made some station fencing using the laser as well.  Plywood railed fence and palisade support. Card uprights.  Haven't found the best way of gluing the card to the ply wood yet.

I have learnt and practised a few more techniques whilst making the Churston Station area (eg use of ash for the platform surfaces) which will help as I move onto the next section proper, however there is a bit more work to do on the other side of the road bridge first.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: December 15, 2018, 01:24:00 PM »

I have learnt and practised a few more techniques whilst making the Churston Station area (eg use of ash for the platform surfaces)

How many ciggies do you smoke per platform please? ;)

Online Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #141 on: December 15, 2018, 05:05:39 PM »
 :D ..... ash from the log and smokeless fuel fire place run through a tea strainer sieve twice to get the finest stuff.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 05:07:03 PM by Dizz »

Online Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #142 on: Today at 01:32:37 PM »
Took a while to clear the general clutter that had accumulated on the branch line boards so I could remove them to work on this area:

The baseboard join had to be fettled, made secure/repeatable and the track ends packed/fixed.  I ended up using quite a few track pins on each side of the join to make sure everything really solid; hopefully I will be able to remove at least 50% of them once the ballast is down and set.

After I took that photo I slid some card under the refuge siding track where it crosses the corner and glued down some balsa sheet in the corner of the fuel depot board (to make a start on land-forming the spur of high ground that is going to hide the opening in the back scene).

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £347.00
Above Goal: £292.00
Site Currency: GBP
631% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything