!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 30 year old layout resurrection - continued...  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Geriatrix

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
30 year old layout resurrection - continued...
« on: January 15, 2014, 04:51:38 PM »
Right, so control panel rebuilt. Engines next. All eventually coaxed into life with the aid of lighter fuel and/or isopropyl, with a bit of pushing too.

Decided (bad decision) to lower the top section to reduce the gradient on the climb up to it. I can't believe how solid my construction efforts were all those years ago. Great big wood screws, adhesive everywhere. Great chunks removed from lower baseboard when dismantling. Took ages and because of the headroom needed in the hidden section i gained all of half an inch!

The layout was designed to allow for shunting moves, with uncouplers all over the place. I've decided that doesn't really work. At least not with the old style 30 year old couplings. Operating the uncoupler normally simply sends the two wagons[/img] up in the air. Too fiddly by half, so the new plan is simply to make up five trains into fixed formation and enjoy moving them around.

The original 30 year old hardboard Peco backscenes had not survived terribly well, so they all came off, and were replaced by plywood ones, with Guagemaster backscenes, and a bit of my artistic work, as I hadn't ordered quite enough of them.

Pepped up the scenery a bit, with scenic powders and a lot more lichen, together with some trees that my wife made. I also made some station name boards, and as I'm interested in the outer reaches of Metroland, decided to name the main station Quainton Town (not Junction, as there isn't one), with smaller stations being named Brill, and Wood Siding. I wish someone did 2mm Metropolitan Railway transfers though. I finished off the ballasting and scenery in the upper section, which had been on hold for thirty years.

All the engines are running reasonably well now. Star performer is the little Arnold 0-4-0. It has a body (not sure if it's the original one) painter in GWR green, and I can't for the life of me remember where I got it. Runs beautifully though, and even goes through the insulated frogs without any problem despite the short wheelbase.

The Farish Hall runs beautifully as well, which surprises me as I seem to remember it being a bit of a pig 30 years ago. Exile in the cupboard seems to have done the trick, a bit like poor old bricked up Henry in the tank engine stories.

The Farish pannier is OK, but a bit jerky - might change the brushes when  I have a moment. The Minitrix dock tank is alright as well, although sometimes the gear seize, and it waddles a bit.

The Farish Prairie is actually a new acquisition from Ebay, being sold on the basis that the valve guides were broken. Turned out to be a good deal, as my original Prairie had a wire come adrift on the armature, so I was able to swap over the valve/piston guide block onto the eBay one. It ran beautifully forwards, but wouldn't reverse at all. Anyway a bit of fettling and it saw the errors of its ways and started to behave, except for the pony trucks derailing on certain points and curves, just like my original one did.

The other running problem I get is spontaneous uncoupling - its those ancient couplers I believe. Might try some sticky stuff experimentally.

Now some pictures:

Below is the layout immediately after it's 30 year rest, with the old backscenes, and lack of scenery.

The remaining pictures are as the layout is today after tidying up and adding scenery.

View of the main station, no renames Quainton Town. This bit hasn't actually changed much.

Brill station with the Brill "tram" having just arrived.

Quainton shed, with the Arnold 0-4-0 on the gradient, with the out of service Prairie on shed.

Thats it for now - just need to sort out some of the running problems, and add a bit more fencing, then it might have to go back in the wardrobe for another thirty years as I'm not sure that planning permission to keep it in the main bedroom (!) will be forthcoming...

« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 04:55:25 PM by Geriatrix »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: 30 year old layout resurrection - continued...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 09:01:53 PM »
Thanks for the update. Amazing so much has stood the test of time, although when you mentioned lighter fuel I had my worries as to your intentions :worried:
In the meantime, I hope negotiations with the 'planning authorities' go well :thumbsup:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 09:17:14 PM »
It looks good.
Perhaps we should start up a petition to the Planning Authorities to stop it being re-consigned to the cupboard !
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline haeckmaen

• N Gauge Society Number: quit
    • Ebay
    • PhotoBucket
    • My flickr photo stream - totally railways
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 10:47:51 PM »

Good to see that properly built Prototype models card kits survive 30 years or more! As far as I know, the Arnold 0-4-0 is originally a German Bn2t ("Ploxemann") and yours fitted with a Peco body available at that time.

Offline Geriatrix

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 11:06:03 AM »
Interesting. Thanks for the info about my Arnold. I thought it was a bit strange as the body doesn't have Arnold couplings, and fits on the chassis by "interference" fit - i.e. it just pushes on, and is meant to hold the can motor in position by force of goodwill.

I can't believe I had time or patience to build those Prototype buildings all those years ago. We had two toddlers running around at that time. I guess I must have locked the door....

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £317.00
Above Goal: £262.00
Site Currency: GBP
576% 
December Donations

Advertise Here