!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Flashing warning lights on level crossings.  (Read 1270 times)

Offline sidkent

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18789
    • Awards
Flashing warning lights on level crossings.
« on: January 10, 2014, 11:47:59 AM »
Hello, I wonder if some kind souls can give me some advice about what I need on the track for a train to start the lights flashing. I have bought a Faller set which contains what I assume is a "flasher unit" but no information about automating them. I have decided to go with just the lights working and not a working crossing. My knowledge of things ends with pressing a switch and something lights up or moves.
 :thankyousign:

Offline Agrippa

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Flashing warning lights on level crossings.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 01:16:41 PM »
You would need some kind of detector trackside, there are various electronic modules available. My electronic knowledge like yours   , perhaps other members have installeda similar setup and can advise.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:37:18 PM by Agrippa, Reason: alignment »
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Western Destroyer
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 10:24:22 PM »
The Merg website certainly sell such things, however if you want cheap (remember my motto "buy cheap buy twice"!) go onto ebay and buy one of those chinese IR n gauge signal kits but use the parts you receive to activate and de activate the flashing lights insted of changing the signal colour :)

Like ebay item 121056065356
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:26:17 PM by Only Me »

Offline sidkent

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18789
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 10:14:48 AM »
Thank you both for your help, I will start looking for some IR on ebay.

Offline Ray Haddad

• SMF Railroad and SMF Lines
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 12:39:50 AM »
Just plugging in an IR system might be the answer in limited circumstance. Let's look at it from a logic perspective. You have two conditions to be concerned about before you even start looking for a suitable sensor or train detector.

First: Is you mainline or branch line single direction only? Do the trains run in one direction?
Second: Is your mainline or branch line bi-directional? Do trains run in either direction?

In case one, you need only two single function detectors and a control circuit that sets the lights on when one sensor detects the start of the train and then after a second sensor reports the end of the train, turns them off.

In case two, you need two sensors but your control system has to be smart enough to know that either sensor, when it detects any train means turn on the lights and then the second sensor indicates end of train.

In the first scenario, the control is simply first on then off. In the second it requires logic to determine both direction and then start and end of train.
I exclusively model the WSMF Railroad.

Offline springwood

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 10:48:53 AM »
Just coming back to this topic briefly. Looking to instal one level crossing on my layout where it will cross three rail lines. I have bought the Ratio level crossing (with barriers), their code 235. Am keen to have controllable barriers and the flashing red lights (got some suitable LEDs from Bright Components) on the warning boards. As per below image:

Not looking to have any track-side train detection (layout not really big enough for that), but will control the barriers and lights from switches etc on the panel.

This is all well and good but reading into level crossings a bit more I discover that this type of warning board was not introduced until around 1992. as per Wikipedia 'The modern warning lights used on level crossings in the UK consist of one amber light at the bottom and two red lights at the top, all on a black board with a checkerboard outline in red and white (the red and white borders weren't introduced until 1992; the borders were just white beforehand).

As my era is late 70s/eraly 80s (BR blue), just wondering if I could 'get away with it' on the layout?? Any thoughts?

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 12:10:48 PM »
I think that refers to the red/white of the surround.  Before that it was just plain white, so just repaint the surround?

Found this image of a crossing in the 70s.
https://www.datchetvillagesociety.org.uk/gallery/dvs-photo-archive/1950-60s-railway-station/

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 01:39:55 PM »
I remember them adding the red bits to the surrounds, but I don't remember them being plain white before that, if that makes sense. But yes, I'd just repaint what you have.

Offline springwood

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 09:21:23 AM »
Doing a lot of thinking around the installation and operation of a set of gates as per the photo ntp posted. As mentioned earlier, I will manually control the lights on the warning boards with a switch on the panel - that should be relatively easy. I see there being a few options on the movement of the gates, i.e. some servos or using wire in the tube with some angle cranks and lever frames. Found an interesting article on the uses of 'Mercontrol' on the lytchett Manor models website which covers 'wire in the tube' control of points and signals, as well as level crossing gates, engine shed doors etc. I like the idea of this and would welcome any pointers as to where I might obtain the supplies, i.e. wire, tube, cranks, levers, brass fixing pins etc. Thank you

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 12:41:46 PM »
@springwood you could try a model shop which deals wth RC planes and boats - they will have all those kinds of bits and pieces.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal