!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: On my Pre Grouping (Southern) workbench  (Read 38157 times)

Offline thebrighton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
Re: On my Pre Grouping (Southern) workbench
« Reply #210 on: May 13, 2020, 04:39:03 PM »
Another loco has been released into traffic by the paint shop.

Following on from the SECR Q1 build further up this page Simon Dawson created a 3D print for the earlier Q before Wainwright modified them (it's listed as a Metropoltan C Class but it's the same thing: https://www.shapeways.com/product/WG3NK7TAT/b-148fs-metropolitan-c-class-0-4-4t-loco?optionId=153771829&li=ostatus )

I found myself ordering one which duly arrived in record time. After cleaning up the print lines I removed the dome as they didn't originally carry them as I'd decided to build mine in SER condition and livery as I felt a change was needed from SECR liveries. Otherwise not much work was required to the body except handrails etc, although a bit of scraping was required on the inner faces of the splashers to fit the wheels in. Having a relatively small boiler a Farish mechanism wasn't going to fit so the chassis is a combination of a heavily butchered Farish Prairie, Nigel Lawton motor and a scratch built bogie which all seems to work well.

It can now run alongside my O Class which also carries Stirling's livery and fits in with my late 1890's LBSCR stock although both await etched number plates so an order will be going in to Narrow Planet shortly.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #211 on: May 15, 2020, 10:47:51 PM »
Another loco has been released into traffic by the paint shop.

Following on from the SECR Q1 build further up this page Simon Dawson created a 3D print for the earlier Q before Wainwright modified them (it's listed as a Metropoltan C Class but it's the same thing: https://www.shapeways.com/product/WG3NK7TAT/b-148fs-metropolitan-c-class-0-4-4t-loco?optionId=153771829&li=ostatus )

I found myself ordering one which duly arrived in record time. After cleaning up the print lines I removed the dome as they didn't originally carry them as I'd decided to build mine in SER condition and livery as I felt a change was needed from SECR liveries. Otherwise not much work was required to the body except handrails etc, although a bit of scraping was required on the inner faces of the splashers to fit the wheels in. Having a relatively small boiler a Farish mechanism wasn't going to fit so the chassis is a combination of a heavily butchered Farish Prairie, Nigel Lawton motor and a scratch built bogie which all seems to work well.

It can now run alongside my O Class which also carries Stirling's livery and fits in with my late 1890's LBSCR stock although both await etched number plates so an order will be going in to Narrow Planet shortly.

:goggleeyes: :goggleeyes: 8) :drool: :drool:

Stunning!  8) 8) 8)

Offline strain

• N Gauge Society Number: 14589
  • 2mm Association Number: 5527
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: May 15, 2020, 11:44:58 PM »
That is a seriously nice item - well done.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #213 on: May 16, 2020, 12:03:27 PM »
I think the thing about Gareth's builds, apart from the sheer consistent excellent standard, the inventiveness of use of RTR parts and means of finish, is the fact that the models are of prototypes that are just so unique - so different to everything the rest of us are generally doing.

So many of these will never have been modelled in N by anyone, and some of them I've never even heard of! Finding the reference material for this must be a challenge!

A delight to view!

Best,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #214 on: May 16, 2020, 12:12:59 PM »
Many thanks for your kind words Alan. Luckily I have stacks of SECR related books and am a member of the SECR Society who have a wealth of useful info. Also if you model the late 1800's, early 1900's there isn't anyone left that was there to tell you where you've gone wrong and photos are grainy and black and white ;)

Offline PGN

• N Gauge Society Number: 7306
    • Awards
« Reply #215 on: May 17, 2020, 04:38:42 PM »
Looking good, Gareth!

I've been looking at Simon's 3D prints and trying to decide which ones I want to have a crack at. There's just SO many to choose from ...
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

Offline thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #216 on: May 17, 2020, 04:51:48 PM »
Looking good, Gareth!

I've been looking at Simon's 3D prints and trying to decide which ones I want to have a crack at. There's just SO many to choose from ...

It's just a pity they are only available through Shapeways (something he won't be changing) as the latest resin printing is so much better than FUD and its layering.

Offline PGN

• Awards
« Reply #217 on: May 17, 2020, 05:42:38 PM »
Well ... that's certainly a pity; but I think the greater pity (for those of us whose modelling skills can at best be described as moderate to mediocre) is that there is no information offered with the locomotives as to whether they are designed for / capable of being fitted to a commercial chassis (and which), or whether you're completely on your own when it comes to motorising them. There are some great offerings there, but I'm very reluctant to commit to buying a locomotive body without some indication of whether, and how, it can be turned into a working model without resorting to scratch-building a chassis and mechanism for it!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

Offline thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #218 on: May 17, 2020, 06:50:29 PM »
You need to view them as a bonus that they even exist in N. All were designed for larger scales but Simon reduced them in size as he was asked and subsequently now automatically makes all his designs available in N as it doesn't impact timewise too much. If he had to design them to fit an existing N chassis I guarantee none would exist as a range of N gauge locos is of no interest to him.
It's a case of looking at the dimensions and the 3 D image to see if motorising it is possible.
It's much the same with other offerings on Shapeways. There is an LBSC E1 from another designer but if you look at the 3 D image there is no cutout for the rear wheels in the footplate or any kind of chassis and the fragility of FUD means cutting it out is a risky enterprise.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #219 on: May 17, 2020, 06:57:44 PM »
the fragility of FUD means cutting it out is a risky enterprise

Its a nightmare to cut or saw as any angular stress causes it to split.  I find drilling is OK and my preference is to use a Dremel type drill with a dentist burr

Offline PGN

• Awards
« Reply #220 on: May 17, 2020, 07:29:40 PM »
You need to view them as a bonus that they even exist in N. All were designed for larger scales but Simon reduced them in size as he was asked and subsequently now automatically makes all his designs available in N as it doesn't impact timewise too much.

Oh, it was in no way intended as a criticism ... and there's my answer: they WEREN'T designed for existing commercial chassis. Maybe when I'm feeling braver I'll try my hand at one or two of them; but first I need to make inroads into the massive pile of unbuilt models I have which WERE designed for existing commercial chassis.

At least with 3D print you don't have the agonising over "shall I buy it now in case it's no longer available when I have time to tackle it". One the design is in the Shapeways database it's there, and it's not going to run away.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal