!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: How easy is it to build an LMS Garratt  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Loft

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: How easy is it to build an LMS Garratt
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2019, 09:04:36 PM »
Hi Alan

Many thanks for this helpful guidance. In the next few days, once my second power unit has arrived, I will tackle this reversal.

What I bought is as in the photo attached. The piece in the kit you mention, designed to clamp to the whitemetal footplate of the kit, is missing. Could you possibly describe what it looks like, then I can try to make something equivalent.

Best regards
David [aka Loft]

Offline stevewalker

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2019, 11:12:13 PM »
The following photo should help, as should the attached pdf.

I don't think that posting the pdf breaches any copyright, as it is only of use to someone with a kit and that would have come with a set.

SteveW

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+54)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2019, 11:29:26 PM »
Hi Alan
What I bought is as in the photo attached. The piece in the kit you mention, designed to clamp to the whitemetal footplate of the kit, is missing. Could you possibly describe what it looks like, then I can try to make something equivalent.

Steve has covered this with his pics. Essentially the retaining piece (only holds the cylinder block) is a simple L shaped lump of whitemetal with a screwhole for an 8BA bolt. The chassis itself is secured with a long 8BA at the other end - this bolt also is the part that the smokebox of the central boiler section interfaces with and pivots about.

It should be reasonably easy to replace all these parts.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Loft

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2019, 02:22:13 PM »
Many thanks to Alan and Steve W for the explanations, photo and the instructions. I will tackle this job in the next few days.

David [aka Loft]

Offline Chuffington

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2020, 02:26:18 PM »
What loco is the donor for the front & rear bogies with the couplers ?

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2020, 06:18:00 PM »
What loco is the donor for the front & rear bogies with the couplers ?

The kit nominally comes with replacement bogies, to which you just need add wheels (Farish larger pony truck wheels are the best).

I have used other modified Farish bogies on these in the past to have a proper coupler rather than a fixed one that's part of the casting. This is an easy change in the future though, if you find the supplied parts would benefit an upgrade in your use case.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Loft

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2020, 11:46:00 AM »
Hi Chuffington: I successfully finished this kit before Christmas  :). I sometimes think of whoever did all the work on it, before it ended up on the Anoraks stall at the N Gauge Show. I had to fit a Farish bogie at one end (which I managed to extend) but the other end bogie (quite long) has the fixed coupling you describe. Possibly you could say which item would fit? Currently, aiming to keep cheerful, I am trying to run power links between the two motor units. It is quite fiddly, especially incorporating a mini-plug. I am using "Nasa" wire.

Offline Chuffington

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2020, 06:43:07 PM »

Picked the whitemetal kit up on fleabay recently, this is the first white metal kit I have ever done, quite pleased with the way it has turned out so far. Ordered up some numbers & totems from Fox today. Big thanks to Dr Al who supplied me with the 2 black 5 chassis. Front & rear bogies are from an early GF Prairie which I extended using the Black 5 tender drawbars and a drop of superglue as I didn't like the kit supplied bogies.

Offline Loft

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2020, 09:12:28 PM »
Hi Chuffington
Best wishes for finishing the kit.

The main glitch I have with my model is that the coupling rods on one of the power units sometimes locks up, and has to be released. I have had this problem with another Poole chassis. Would you know of any cure?

All the best
David aka loft

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2020, 09:20:13 PM »
The main glitch I have with my model is that the coupling rods on one of the power units sometimes locks up, and has to be released. I have had this problem with another Poole chassis. Would you know of any cure?

This is not inherent in the Poole chassis, so something is bent, misaligned etc.

If you can supply photo, (even better with the chassis locked up) then folks may be able to advise with more targetted advice.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline east anglian

• N Gauge Society Number: 15731
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2020, 09:39:38 PM »
Where    most    people     that    build     these   go   wrong    is   that   they    use    a    3 pole    motor   and   a    5   pole   motor,   its    better   to    use    both    of   the   same    poles    and   speed    match     to    within    a   small   tollerence    in    speed,   if   this   is   not   possible   use   the    faster   one    to    drag   the    slower,   sorry   about   the   speling   but   I   hated   skool   

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2020, 09:59:18 AM »
Where    most    people     that    build     these   go   wrong    is   that   they    use    a    3 pole    motor   and   a    5   pole   motor,   its    better   to    use    both    of   the   same    poles    and   speed    match     to    within    a   small   tollerence    in    speed,   if   this   is   not   possible   use   the    faster   one    to    drag   the    slower,   sorry   about   the   speling   but   I   hated   skool   

Why not type messages in word or word pad, and use the spell checker , then paste?

It also helps if the system jumps between pages and loses all that you’ve just typed! 
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline east anglian

• N Gauge Society Number: 15731
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2020, 11:39:04 AM »
Hi   Railgun,
Received   your    message   but    as   well   as    hopeless   at   speling   I   am   also   useless    on   computers   and   too   old   learn    but   I   get   by   and   I   think   all    the   fellow    members   on   the  Forum   will   accept    me   as   a    am,

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2020, 12:37:42 PM »
We are a catholic church! I was only trying to help!

bw

Nick R
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP