!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Class 108 motor  (Read 2416 times)

Offline mickeyflinn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21893
    • Awards
Class 108 motor
« on: December 30, 2013, 06:12:53 PM »
Has anyone replaced the motor in the Class 108?
Just went to run mine, heard a loud buzzing noise and the roof felt hot where the decoder is (was).
Decoder had burnt out, and my Dynamis handset was showing a short. This was the second time it has burnt out a decoder, so I've stripped it down and ran the motor directly on DC - only runs very slowly even on full power.
I've e-mailed Bob at BR Lines to see if he's got any spares, even though nothing is listed on his web site, and will send off the same e-mail directly to Bachmann when they re-open after the holidays.
If either of them haven't got any, does anyone else know where I could get a replacement - there is 66972 printed onto of the motor and I'm assuming this is the type.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: Class 108 motor
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 10:28:42 PM »
- there is 66972 printed onto of the motor and I'm assuming this is the type.

I'm not sure this is the type - it may just be related to production - have seen different numbers printed on identical motors that Bachmann use, so is best not to assume that's a part number.

Bachmann should have spares even if BR Lines don't.

It may be a commutator issue (clogging up) which might be repairable - these motors can be soaked in solvent and then run to self clean, or if you're brave the motor end cap can be removed and the commutator cleaned by hand.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline mickeyflinn

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 11:14:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply Alan.

I've just taken the motor back out to soak it in IPA. How long would you leave it in the solvent?

The number on the motor lifted off almost as soon as it hit the IPA, but the replacement number from Bob at BR Lines is B372-J.

Regards, Jon.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 11:57:39 PM »
Thanks for the reply Alan.

I've just taken the motor back out to soak it in IPA. How long would you leave it in the solvent?

Not sure, but I'd definitely rotate the shaft while submerged a good number of times. Guess it's trial and error - if the motor is replaceable then you have nothing to lose trying this a few times first.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline mickeyflinn

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 06:02:09 AM »
Left it soaking for 20 minutes, and it ran...................for 10 seconds, then started pulsing again, which is what it was doing when I first tried it out of the DMU. Left it overnight and tried it again but no different.

I've been messaging with class37025 who has a unit he intends to de-motor, and if it's the same as mine (which I think it will be), I'm going to buy that off him.

In work today, but I'm going to open up the motor tonight and have a look inside to see if there's anything obviously wrong. Then I'll probably file the motor in the bin (I'll take the flywheel off first though and put it in my bits box).

Jon.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 03:45:39 PM »
Left it soaking for 20 minutes, and it ran...................for 10 seconds, then started pulsing again,

That sounds promising - I think it may well be a clogged commutator or brushes that need cleaned.

If you dismantle, clean the commutator slots, its surface and the surfaces of the brushes.

Also, sometimes you need to run these motors at full power for a bit to clear them.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline mickeyflinn

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 04:17:18 PM »
Also, sometimes you need to run these motors at full power for a bit to clear them.

I've just got home from work and tried it again; still the same. I've had it connected to a 12V supply every time I've tried it, so I'll dismantle it tonight and have a look.

Jon.

Offline mickeyflinn

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 05:06:09 PM »
Just tried taking the flywheel off and the flywheel side motor bearing promptly broke in half. It's in the bin now.

Offline dodger

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 05:29:50 PM »
Ive just removed the motor from my class 108 and it is numbered 6685D. It looks identical to the motors numbered 66949 from my 4 CEP.

Thanks for the cleaning tip Alan. I gave my defective 4 CEP an IPA bath. Funny though after failing in March it was running again. After the bath it wouldn't run but the following day it ran again and sounded a lot better. Just need the courage to put in something to see how long it lasts.

Dodger

Offline mickeyflinn

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 04:01:14 PM »
Many, many thanks to class37025. My Farish 108 is now back up and running  :bounce:

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 06:44:26 PM by mickeyflinn, Reason: Video in post not link »

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £66.00
Below Goal: £34.00
Site Currency: GBP
66% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything