!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Geominster a first time Layout by a complete novice  (Read 90864 times)

Online Jack

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Geominster a first time Layout by a complete novice
« Reply #390 on: September 13, 2015, 07:25:14 AM »
Thanks for the ride that has been Geominister. I've watched from the side lines from the beginning and have enjoyed watching it grow. I wish my first attempts were as good, I wouldn't be on my fourth (I think  :-[  ) fresh start.

In answer to your question, I would be inclined to start a new thread because the next layout wouldn't be " your first time layout by a complete novice"   ;D.

New beginning, new layout, looking forward to it.  :thumbsup:
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Offline Jimmy77

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #391 on: September 13, 2015, 07:48:52 AM »
Good luck with the new project! Must be hard to make the decision to start again, but now you can implement your new ideas into a great layout. I'd also say start a new thread, as Jack says you aren't a novice anymore!

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #392 on: September 13, 2015, 09:24:29 PM »
If you are not happy with it then a change will only be for the better. Good luck and I look forward to see the new improved version! Make it L shaped. I think it makes for a more interesting layout.
Start a new thread when you are ready but let us know through this thread. :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline georgehgv

• Geominster Mainline & Heritage Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #393 on: September 16, 2015, 07:10:14 PM »
Having had a few days to deliberate over what and how to do with Geominster I have come to the conclusion that a lot of the layout is good and works well. So I have decided to use the Fiddle Yard area as a new scenic board and purchase one of the Nelevation vertical storage units which will let me admire my locomotive stock as well as access it all easily and sheltering it from any dust.

I have concluded that there is too much track on the original layout and I have therefore set out to reduce some of it creating a more spacious feel. During the construction and use of Geominster several issues have come to my attention so these will be addressed in the revamp. The main reverse loop will be extended to allow longer trains, the complication of running roundy roundy trains will be remedied by changing some of the mainline track by the station area, a dedicated Heritage Line will be created as my tendencies towards Steam has increased along with the stock during the build.

There will be a change in the actual hidden sections mainly to ensure that only curved rails are enclosed lessening any trouble out of easy access, the climb to the top level of the original layout will transfer to the scenic section and be more gradual, the wall supporting the track will have open arches so that errant locomotives can be retrieved without the use of a push stick and cleaning the track should be far easier.

All the signals will in turn be changed to a more real scale and more lighting will be created with some additional building lights, emergency vehicles illuminated, some tall car park lighting, etc etc.

That is about as far as I have reached so this is the plan and as I am not rebuilding the layout I will continue this thread, perhaps someone could tell me how to access the Thread Title to update it as i have progressed somewhat from the Newbie in the title.  :D

This is the first edition of the alterations, subject to alterations without notice! I intend introducing some soft curved tracks to the scenic section and the tracks will be more parallel than I can draw with Anyrail. The lines at the rear will accommodate the new Nelevator when it is available to save too much further disruption.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 07:37:08 PM by georgehgv »
A new layout Geominster Mainline & Heritage Line has been created after moving home and not being able to accomodate the old layout.

This then is my third version which is vastly improved from previous efforts.

Geominster was my first project which has now been dismantled.

Having learnt so much from  previous Geominster projects this is the latest one.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30850.0

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #394 on: September 16, 2015, 08:21:58 PM »
Your new plans for your layout make a lot of sense to me, George. The track plan looks pretty complex but full of operational interest.

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #395 on: September 16, 2015, 08:35:13 PM »
Your new plans for your layout make a lot of sense to me, George. The track plan looks pretty complex but full of operational interest.

Thanks Chris, it is difficult to interpret particularly different levels, but I have taken out and tidied a lot of track, and by adding some change of relief on the right hand board I hope to show a transition from town to country.

A new layout Geominster Mainline & Heritage Line has been created after moving home and not being able to accomodate the old layout.

Having learnt so much from  previous Geominster projects this is the latest one.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #396 on: September 16, 2015, 09:11:32 PM »
I await with bated breath the "Phoenix railway"! :) On a serious note remember that reversing sections cause elektrickery problems in DC, DCC problems can be solved with elektronickery.
Looks good. Photos when you can.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #397 on: September 16, 2015, 09:12:08 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, George. Sounds very good to me. I look forward to seeing it develop.

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #398 on: September 16, 2015, 09:15:19 PM »
I await with bated breath the "Phoenix railway"! :) On a serious note remember that reversing sections cause elektrickery problems in DC, DCC problems can be solved with elektronickery.
Looks good. Photos when you can.
o

Yes there are two RLM currently on Geominster and work fine thanks.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #399 on: September 16, 2015, 10:10:30 PM »
A brave move George to start again, I have done the same. I was having too many failed running sessions and decided to make things easier to work on and get too, no steep gradient for a start. Good luck with your new build, it can be a steep learning curve making a good layout. By the way I kept my fiddle yard too like you but I have started a new thread too for a new layout.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #400 on: September 16, 2015, 10:40:03 PM »
So I have decided to use the Fiddle Yard area as a new scenic board and purchase one of the Nelevation vertical storage units which will let me admire my locomotive stock as well as access it all easily and sheltering it from any dust.

I took a good look at the one on display at TINGS. Very interesting! Also sadly very expensive!
I watched people struggling with long cassettes, and must admit that the lift system is superb and so much better.
I'd love one, but as mine is destined to be an exhibition layout eventually, I don't think the Nelevation would travel that well.....

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #401 on: September 17, 2015, 02:19:04 AM »
I wish you all success with the new layout, George. May it prove to be a happy journey for you :thumbsup:

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #402 on: September 22, 2015, 08:12:02 PM »
Another change of plan ....

I have finally decided to alter some of the track on Geominster and move some of the track covered areas to expose a couple of inaccessible parts of the layout. In modifying the plan I have allowed an access track to the Nelevator storage/display unit that I will be purchasing. The result is a slightly larger layout but with the fiddle yard no longer needed space saved in my train room.

The plan, subject to revision of course as work progresses.

The bulldozers have moved in .... well me and a chisel and screwdriver!

Some of the track changes implemented and a work in progress.

Hopefully all will be running again shortly then serious scenery can begin.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 08:31:18 PM by georgehgv »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #403 on: September 22, 2015, 08:25:38 PM »
Good to see progress well under way, George. Don't rush into the new track plan though; give yourself time and opportunity to adjust it as required.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #404 on: September 22, 2015, 09:38:06 PM »
What a disaster area :o
Looking forward to the changes :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
45% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal