!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Geominster a first time Layout by a complete novice  (Read 93200 times)

Offline Marty

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Geominster a first time Layout by a complete novice
« Reply #345 on: August 14, 2015, 11:41:49 AM »
Just read through the whole thread from start to finish George and thoroughly enjoyed the journey. The helix was a work of engineering art but I do think your side by side arrangement of the layout and fiddle yard will be a lot easier to operate, stock and control.

Glad to see you coming to grips with the paper cut software, I know that Dorset Mike has had great success with one.

Do you plan to laminate multiple layers of paper into that canopy to provide some rigidity? I feel it might need it, doing so will allow you to sandwich the clear sheet firmly too.

Great work, especially selling off rolling stock, I could never part with anything, but then I don't have much.

Cheers

Marty

Offline georgehgv

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Geominster Mainline & Heritage Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #346 on: August 14, 2015, 11:48:43 AM »
Thanks Marty. Not sure yet about laminating the canopy, I will try assembling one later I am using 300gsm card which is fairly stout and then with clear glazing sheet under and a facia each side and two gables my fingers are crossed!

That was a lot of reading and must have taken ages, the helix was good but access to the fiddle yard beneath was dare I say it fiddly, in fact even at the same level I am clumsy enough to derail stock on adjacent lines. So definitely the right thing to do.
A new layout Geominster Mainline & Heritage Line has been created after moving home and not being able to accomodate the old layout.

This then is my third version which is vastly improved from previous efforts.

Geominster was my first project which has now been dismantled.

Having learnt so much from  previous Geominster projects this is the latest one.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30850.0

Offline Marty

• Awards
« Reply #347 on: August 14, 2015, 01:49:48 PM »
Look forward to seeing how you get on with the canopy as I have a couple to do too. I think you're right though, with the clear panel and barge boards it should be fairly rigid. Might need a truss where the upright joins but you'll work that out as you go along I'm sure.

Came home from work with a head cold so a good read was the way to go!

Cheers

Marty

Offline sp1

• Awards
« Reply #348 on: August 14, 2015, 02:04:21 PM »
Have you thought about using the cutter with the sticky backed vinyl used by signwriters to produce the canopy (read about this on another forum, where it was used to produce windows) - you could then stick this to rigid clear plastic to both glazing and strength?

Offline Maurits71

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23800
    • Awards
« Reply #349 on: August 14, 2015, 07:42:01 PM »
Hi Mr. G.

how are you getting on with the software, I have thought about the plotter as indeed it seems added value for scratch building, but the software holds me off, how are you getting on.

best regards

Maurits
Hills and Meadows on social media

For Hills and Meadows video channel please click here

For Hills and Meadows on facebook please click here

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #350 on: August 14, 2015, 08:09:35 PM »
Hi Mr. G.

how are you getting on with the software, I have thought about the plotter as indeed it seems added value for scratch building, but the software holds me off, how are you getting on.

best regards

Maurits

Hi Maurits, I have surprised myself with the software as I can make it work. It has to be simple or else I cannot handle it. I am just designing a couple of retail units to see how they turn out but put simply it all seems to revolve around rectangles, stretched, cropped and moved, copied etc. I have now cut out 9 sets of platform canopies, they were cut out while I was starting on the building. What I have done is made a rough scale sketch of the building using the Peco N Gauge ruler and then measured that off in mm and drawn the outline and windows, roof and door frames to those mm dimensions, just tweak things slightly for appearances. I was dreading do the scenery but now it seems to be enjoyable, in fact if I can do it I know you can, after all you are PC savvy I am not. I will definitely be posting some results tomorrow as I am home alone nearly all day to work on this, watch this space. :-)

Just teaser, this has taken about 20 minutes, still a way to go but this is how I have started it.

In the beginning there was a blank screen and a pc buffoon then .......

This was created, after cutting out it will be wrapped in brick paper and the window frames fitted and clear acetate for the glazing, interior lighting and I suppose the likes of shop fittings, home made of course :-)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 08:17:59 PM by georgehgv »
A new layout Geominster Mainline & Heritage Line has been created after moving home and not being able to accomodate the old layout.

Having learnt so much from  previous Geominster projects this is the latest one.

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #351 on: August 15, 2015, 06:58:11 AM »
Newly arrived at Geominster, another Class 220 Cross Country Voyager :-)

Just need to wait until the two 170's stop by to get the photograph of my entire Cross Country fleet.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #352 on: August 15, 2015, 07:04:10 AM »
Way out of my chosen era, but by heck, they look good sitting together like that!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #353 on: August 15, 2015, 10:07:42 AM »
Thanks for the photo., George. They DO look very good together, I also have to admit, despite being way beyond my chosen period. However, those station name signs look like 00 scale ones; they should be half that height.

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #354 on: August 15, 2015, 10:14:07 AM »
Thanks for the photo., George. They DO look very good together, I also have to admit, despite being way beyond my chosen period. However, those station name signs look like 00 scale ones; they should be half that height.

Thanks for that Chris, they do look way too big. Another job for the cutting machine then, new signage  :-[

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #355 on: August 15, 2015, 08:18:38 PM »
They could almost make me start afresh with modern image......no, let's not be silly.....but they do look very cool  8)

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #356 on: August 16, 2015, 09:47:46 AM »

Thanks for that Chris, they do look way too big. Another job for the cutting machine then, new signage  :-[

All nameboards removed ready to chop off legs!

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #357 on: August 16, 2015, 09:55:52 AM »
That's good. I must admit I never even noticed the signs... the two trains had me thunderstruck!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #358 on: August 16, 2015, 10:42:24 PM »
looks good

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #359 on: August 20, 2015, 05:31:38 PM »
Not had a lot of time this week but a quick update with the cutting machine, I have designed and cut out a pair of retail units as seen here

You should be able to view the window frames ready to separate and reapply after using cladding or brick paper to the body of the units, then I will apply a clear glaze acetate sheet to the rear of the window frames. I will then design some shop fittings and lighting will follow.

Close up showing the small window frames ready to separate.

All looks very promising to me, I also have a lattice design I hope to adapt to a footbridge sometime.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal