!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Geominster a first time Layout by a complete novice  (Read 90620 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Geominster a first time Layout by a complete novice
« Reply #285 on: June 25, 2015, 09:30:06 PM »
Hope your happy with the replacement Duchess, George.
The loco does look very nice in black. I almost tempted to get one but too many pre orders are starting to arrive :doh:

Offline georgehgv

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Geominster Mainline & Heritage Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #286 on: June 25, 2015, 09:38:32 PM »
Far too many new releases filtering through Mick. I see the A2 in apple green is due before long, then they all need a dcc chip adding to the costs. The a2 will be the last steamer at least for now.

The duchess just got a new tender, looking at it I do not know why the whhels would have got so hot to melt the tender. No explanation given at all.

The City of Bradford looks very good in black and runs ok now on DC, only one chip spare and I was hoping to pop that in class 20 if postie brings it tomorrow or Saturday.
A new layout Geominster Mainline & Heritage Line has been created after moving home and not being able to accomodate the old layout.

This then is my third version which is vastly improved from previous efforts.

Geominster was my first project which has now been dismantled.

Having learnt so much from  previous Geominster projects this is the latest one.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30850.0

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #287 on: July 01, 2015, 06:18:07 PM »
UPDATE

Well what with the heat etc today I have been having a serious rethink about Geominster and decided that whilst the fiddle yard and access via the helix worked there would possibly be issues accessing the fiddle yard storage sidings should anything derail etc. So planning consent was applied for and granted meaning the fiddle yard could be positioned to the right of Geominster and the helix would no longer be needed.

As I intend leaving the fiddle yard populated it also occurred to me that I could actually fit a lid to keep the dust out and if I made it transparent from Perspex or similar it could be used whilst the lid was still closed.

I have now rotated the fiddle yard so the two open ends face those of Geominster and hopefully tomorrow I can commence alterations to alter the access points to align. There was always something not quite right and stopping me progressing, this solution I think will address those issues so I can get some finishing work done.

Aerial photo showing the proximity of the fiddle yard with Geominster, more carpentry work to follow and a lot of alignment etc still to do as well as fitting point motors to fiddle yard, now though with renewed enthusiasm all systems go.

Thanks for following the posts. Helix will be dismantled or sold.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 06:20:47 PM by georgehgv »
A new layout Geominster Mainline & Heritage Line has been created after moving home and not being able to accomodate the old layout.

Having learnt so much from  previous Geominster projects this is the latest one.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #288 on: July 01, 2015, 08:12:29 PM »
Sad the helix has gone after all your work on it, George, but I think you'll enjoy the new arrangement more. Well done on concluding negotiations successfully with 'the Authorities' :)

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #289 on: July 02, 2015, 09:04:04 PM »
 I have spent today altering the track on Geominster to align with the fiddle yard and reinstating some of the scenery. Next up is the alterations so the track aligns on the fiddle yard.

Offline Bob Wild

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #290 on: July 02, 2015, 11:17:20 PM »
Sad the helix has gone after all your work on it, George,

Me too.

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #291 on: July 03, 2015, 06:15:32 AM »
Yes I am sad to say the helix has to go but the fiddle yard was just too near to the underside of Geominster and I could see problems if any derailments on it would probably have meant my clumsy hand knocking something else over.

Also Geominster was quite high and had to be constructed that way so I could turn it over and clear the storage unit beneath it, as most of the work was now complete there was little need to flip it over, by lowering it to about 750mm from floor level it now sits on some redundant chests of drawers and visually improves the room by an illusion of more space, there was also room for the fiddle yard to fit to the right of it and all be on the same level so I considered this to be vastly more user friendly.

However I learnt a lot with the helix, it worked and if the fiddle yard had just been an extension loop etc to run trains round would have been saved, but I need storage to run Geomister without keep getting stock from JB's boxes. It will be dismantled shortly.

However the challenge is now to create the see through cover which I propose to support when open with gas struts and will easily lift completely off when maintenance is required. I will document progress when it happens.

Today I hope to get the fiddle yard track adjusted to suit the inbound tracks from Geominster.

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #292 on: July 28, 2015, 08:55:43 PM »
The helix got revenge, as I was carefully putting it down ready to dismantle it I felt my back pull, the last three weeks has meant being very careful and now it has finally sorted I have progressed a little with the layout.

I have built a new facia and painted it to link the fiddle yard to Geominster, the whole room looks tidier and more spacious. I have stocked the fiddle yard and discovered far too many locos and rolling stock which are currently being sold. Some of the sale proceeds can buy the remaining point motors and decoders needed to finish the fiddle yard.

The idea of covering the fiddle yard with a lid is still under development but I intend using a sheet of 9mm MDF with about 70% of the MDF removed by cutting eight windows in it, then a sheet of acrylic fitted underside will allow me to keep the stock dustproofed and still use it while the lid is down except of course for any derailments, it will be hinged to lift with a couple of gas struts to support it open. If this works the idea may roll out across Geominster in a similar fashion but will be opened when in use.

I still have a lot of work to do but it is important that what has been done works and while the fiddle yard under the layout saved space, access was tricky and stock left on it was easily knocked creating a domino effect on adjacent tracks, all in a confined space and would have driven me mad.

Wide angle of complete fiddle yard

Left side of fiddle yard

Right side of fiddle yard

Overall view

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #293 on: July 28, 2015, 10:02:02 PM »
That's looking very professional, George :thumbsup:
Still some empty loops in the fiddle yard - maybe you need more stock :laugh:

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #294 on: July 28, 2015, 10:07:47 PM »
That's looking very professional, George :thumbsup:
Still some empty loops in the fiddle yard - maybe you need more stock :laugh:

Haha Mick, there is a drawer under the layout full of boxed items to go, the spaces will be filled by new releases mainly Farish.

I also have quite a few 6 pin chips in a box ready to fit in new stock.

I must get the tunnel entrances finished on the layout though and leave the fiddle yard till autumn when I will have more time
 to motorise the points.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #295 on: July 28, 2015, 10:12:42 PM »
You could always get rid of those class 70s :sick2: ;)

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #296 on: July 30, 2015, 08:00:55 AM »
It is disappointing to post here about progress on Geominster as of recent times no-one seems interested anymore, with the exception of just one or two members who encourage or comment. Just one thanks and only one comment from the last update shows me that the thread has run it's course as an interest to others. Therefore I will not post in it further. It takes a lot of time to take photos and edit them in.
Thank you for the advice and encouragement particularly in the early posts.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #297 on: July 30, 2015, 01:10:02 PM »
Not sure if you're being a little harsh on folks there, George :-\
With over 13,000 views your thread is obviously of interest to fellow members and, although they may not comment, I'm sure your progress is being appreciated by many. I, for one, would be disappointed not to see further updates :(

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #298 on: July 30, 2015, 01:47:28 PM »
Likewise here, people love looking at the updates etc but eventually run out of comments to put on a thread, especially a long running thread.  They've probably said it all before on previous posts but are still keen to seen what you are up to and carry on learning from your exploits so don't be disheartened.     :thumbsup:

Offline Chewy750

• Awards
« Reply #299 on: July 30, 2015, 02:41:04 PM »
 :sorrysign: Well, for one who looks and doesn't generally comment (maybe because I am in awe of your ability) I would say please do not stop posting updates as the layout is absolutely brilliant and I'm sure it inspires people to 'have a go'. Keep up the good work. Take the 10K+ views as confirmation of how good the layout is.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal