!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Geominster a first time Layout by a complete novice  (Read 91083 times)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Geominster a first time Layout by a complete novice
« Reply #270 on: June 06, 2015, 09:47:40 PM »
Good luck on everything, layout looking really super. On a side note we also have an Olly (cairn terrier) 2years old.
regards Derek
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline Jimmy77

• Awards
« Reply #271 on: June 06, 2015, 11:30:08 PM »
That fiddle yard is a work of art! And to get it running nice and smooth must be so satisfying.

Offline georgehgv

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Geominster Mainline & Heritage Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #272 on: June 07, 2015, 06:19:40 AM »
The fiddle yard was designed solely so that I could store as much as possible, surprisingly to me the track laid very well and after connecting all the dropper wires I tested each and every siding I discovered two uneven joints which were simply rectified.

I always wanted a layout that could be dismantled easily and moved out of the room, this project does just that in only three sections.

I still have a lot of work to do, the fiddle yard points mainly but meanwhile I think I must get Geominster scenery improved and I also have a couple od derailing issues.

Yesterday the GF Duchess of Hamilton which is only a few days old overheated on the tender and melted part of the wheel mountings, it was extremely hot when I noticed and picked it up. It still runs OK  but think I will return it in case it catches fire.

Thanks for all your kind comments about the layout etc.
A new layout Geominster Mainline & Heritage Line has been created after moving home and not being able to accomodate the old layout.

This then is my third version which is vastly improved from previous efforts.

Geominster was my first project which has now been dismantled.

Having learnt so much from  previous Geominster projects this is the latest one.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30850.0

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #273 on: June 07, 2015, 07:27:17 AM »
Very sorry to read about your GF "Duchess of Hamilton". I hope that it was a one-off and not a batch fault. I look forward to seeing the replacement running.

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #274 on: June 07, 2015, 07:44:51 AM »
Very sorry to read about your GF "Duchess of Hamilton". I hope that it was a one-off and not a batch fault. I look forward to seeing the replacement running.

Thanks Chris. This is the result.

I am worried that this could have caused a fire on the layout, total running time about 20 minutes on DCC possibly maximum 5 minutes at a time. Ran in on DC without issues.

Smelt something burning and lifted Duchess from track and burnt finger on the wheel.

I have contacted Bachmann and await a response from them.

Anyone any ideas? Meanwhile I say Watch your Duchess!
A new layout Geominster Mainline & Heritage Line has been created after moving home and not being able to accomodate the old layout.

Having learnt so much from  previous Geominster projects this is the latest one.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #275 on: June 07, 2015, 08:01:04 AM »
Wow....  ???
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #276 on: June 07, 2015, 08:25:53 AM »
My thoughts entirely. Am I right or wrong to be worried, may this be an issue with others?

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #277 on: June 07, 2015, 10:32:51 AM »
Thank goodness you noticed it in time, Geoff. I hope that it is a 'one-off' failure but it may be a fault with a particular batch?

Offline 25901JFM

• N Gauge Society Number: 23462
    • Awards
« Reply #278 on: June 07, 2015, 09:32:47 PM »
George,
Firstly, sorry to see that nasty looking failure on the Duchess.  Secondly, after your comment on my thread in the layout planning section, I've popped over here to see your helix.  What a feat of engineering that is!  I have a couple of questions: 1. What size trains do your steam loco's handle when climbing it and what is the gradient/height of climb per turn in order to clear the previous level?  It is certainly an option I would like to consider when I finally get round to building my layout.

:thankyousign:
John

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #279 on: June 07, 2015, 09:52:27 PM »
George,
Firstly, sorry to see that nasty looking failure on the Duchess.  Secondly, after your comment on my thread in the layout planning section, I've popped over here to see your helix.  What a feat of engineering that is!  I have a couple of questions: 1. What size trains do your steam loco's handle when climbing it and what is the gradient/height of climb per turn in order to clear the previous level?  It is certainly an option I would like to consider when I finally get round to building my layout.Dh

John

Hi John, as I only have three steam engines none of which are happy pulling up the helix my plan is to keep them on the main layout so that is not such an issue. The diesels all seem to cope well with a moderate rake behind them, bearing in mind Geominster is not a large layout I cannot accommodate long trains anyway.

My mentor on the helix was Maurits who posts here with his new layout Hills and Meadows who is very knowledgable and helpful. He suggested bullfrog snot to assist the steamers climb but at the moment I am happy without.

Space being a premium it had to be a compact helix to climb in that short distance. However since building it another Forum member kindly sent me a programme which calculates the heights angles etc etc. He was happy for me to share it so pm me your email and I will locate it and send over.

But look at Maurits post it is awesome. A very helpful guy as well. Cheers George.

Offline 25901JFM

• N Gauge Society Number: 23462
    • Awards
« Reply #280 on: June 07, 2015, 10:23:56 PM »
George,
Firstly, sorry to see that nasty looking failure on the Duchess.  Secondly, after your comment on my thread in the layout planning section, I've popped over here to see your helix.  What a feat of engineering that is!  I have a couple of questions: 1. What size trains do your steam loco's handle when climbing it and what is the gradient/height of climb per turn in order to clear the previous level?  It is certainly an option I would like to consider when I finally get round to building my layout.Dh

John

Hi John, as I only have three steam engines none of which are happy pulling up the helix my plan is to keep them on the main layout so that is not such an issue. The diesels all seem to cope well with a moderate rake behind them, bearing in mind Geominster is not a large layout I cannot accommodate long trains anyway.

My mentor on the helix was Maurits who posts here with his new layout Hills and Meadows who is very knowledgable and helpful. He suggested bullfrog snot to assist the steamers climb but at the moment I am happy without.

Space being a premium it had to be a compact helix to climb in that short distance. However since building it another Forum member kindly sent me a programme which calculates the heights angles etc etc. He was happy for me to share it so pm me your email and I will locate it and send over.

But look at Maurits post it is awesome. A very helpful guy as well. Cheers George.

:thankyousign: George.  I've just seen another option for a lower level storage solution. Halberford by bellringer has a traverser below part of the layout which would require less height to be gained to join the layout.  This forum certainly is the place to be to find ideas that you wouldn't necessarily think of or consider until you see what someone else has come up with!   :NGaugersRule:

John

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #281 on: June 10, 2015, 10:30:16 AM »
[I am worried that this could have caused a fire on the layout, total running time about 20 minutes on DCC possibly maximum 5 minutes at a time. Ran in on DC without issues.

Smelt something burning and lifted Duchess from track and burnt finger on the wheel.

I have contacted Bachmann and await a response from them.

Anyone any ideas? Meanwhile I say Watch your Duchess!

Ouch! looks like a short circuit across that wheel potentially - the only thing that could get the brass strips *that* hot I'd have thought. If you can measure [I know it'll be returned, but just for your own interest] the resistance of the wheelset or the current the model draws you'll soon see (it should draw no more than something around 25mA).

Either that or a DCC oddness that's cause the chip to draw a lot of current - how long did you run it on DC?

Shame :-(

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #282 on: June 22, 2015, 06:56:22 PM »
Not really my week, after the episode with The Duchess the laptop which is used to control Geominster points and track decided to lock up, it would not stay alive long enough to deactivate Railmaster to be used on another and I was very worried that Geominster plan would be lost in cyber space.
However I managed to get the track plan saved to memory stick and I went about using a rebuilt laptop running Windows 8 to download the trial version of RM, after getting Hornby to deactivate the old laptop I have now successfully transferred the vital plans to the new one and it now runs so smoothly and quickly I have a better operation than previously, I have also played with some settings improving the overall view of both Geominster and the fiddle yard on the same screen, I will add programme buttons to give a close up of each one independently for clearer view.

Below is the new version which after a few settings tweaks runs well.

Onwards and upwards now as they say.

Still waiting for GF to return repaired Duchess.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #283 on: June 22, 2015, 10:09:04 PM »
Congratulations on getting the software problem fixed. I look forward to seeing the repaired "Duchess" running smoothly, soon.

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #284 on: June 25, 2015, 08:47:30 PM »
Good news at last, The Duchess of Hamilton has been returned by Bachmann with a replaced tender and currently being run in on the roundy roundy DC test track. I have left the tender off so to save taking it apart again to fit the chip.

The latest arrival here is Princess City of Bradford now run in and ready for a Digitrax chip and then onto Geominster Preservation Line.

I am waiting for a Class 20 BR Blue unweathered which I have been trying to get for ages and should arrive tomorrow.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal