!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Back to the lakes  (Read 3830 times)

Offline Lee

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Back to the lakes
« on: December 14, 2013, 08:43:54 AM »
Hi all,

And Hello cant believe I never seen this forum 3 years ago   this is a layout based on the original layout I had a few years ago its been scaled down so the shed can be used for other stuff.

The whole layout area is 4200 mm x 600 mm so plenty for N gauge.

Its going to have hills, streams, lakes, woodland and walks and small villages but unlike the old layout will have a basic track system main lines with maybe the odd service areas I don't want it to complicating like the old layout due to the N gauge stock not running to well over all the mass points I had.

Right the framework and shelves are done got to get some curtain material to hide the junk, but apart from that the whole right side will be the layout.

The whole layout area is 4200 mm x 600 mm so plenty for N gauge

This is my last layout that a took up due to some running factors, the sheds better now and this new one will be less complicated.

Heres a full view

Thanks for looking

Lee

« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 09:22:36 AM by Lee »

Offline Lee

• Awards
Re: Back to the lakes
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 08:46:22 AM »
 Had a few hours in there today finishing adding the entrainment system (monitor) and cut some base wood ready to play around with some track ideas before I get the jig saw out  >D

I might go for a main line layout with a second layer with preserved railway then I can have a mix of trains going on.

fish plates and pins are on the menu  :D

Lee

Offline Lee

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 08:48:05 AM »
I done this over the last 2 weeks so its a bit of a catch up

Yes my plans have not gone well in fact I have spent a good 2 hours staring at the layout to be like you say on paper it looks great so hard to get going.

I have  actually starting getting some were I am going to have a straight run with a small station or siding area that goes into the one hill, there will be another hill the opposite side to hide them awful tight bends  lol

Near the back will be a viaduct with a stream linking to the start of a lake and I will probably infill the middle areas with more hilly steam areas to break the flatness.

Hopefully if there's room will add a second maybe single or double line on another level.

Thanks lee

Offline Lee

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 08:48:58 AM »
Ok quick update started laying track left side but this lead to me needing to test it as I go along so into the house I went after a few hours, 3 hours later after realising I missed a simple configuration setting I've finally remembered how to set the damn railway software up wow that was hard work got there in the end well just got to get my thinking cap on to how to add points in there  8|

So track plan is started and managed to get a train working on the software will add the rest tomorrow

The work bench of hell

Thanks Lee

Offline Lee

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 08:51:55 AM »
Hi all,

Started this yesterday on the upper preserved line so far so good will show you a picture from the last layout this is what I will try to achieve again but slightly small this is currently were I am Enjoy all.

Lee

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 09:04:17 AM »
Looking really good Lee, if this turns out half as good as your last one it will be a cracker, looking forward to seeing this develop.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 09:43:09 AM »
Pity you had to rip the last one up, it looked spectacular. Hopefully this one will be just as good, but with better running.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Offline Luke Piewalker

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 12:22:57 PM »
Have you considered wall mounting the monitor?
It's just that stand looks like it takes up an awful lot of space.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 01:31:44 PM »
Hi Lee,
You're obviously no stranger to railway modelling and the new N gauge layout looks very promising :thumbsup:
I do have concerns about the tight radius curves at each end but maybe it's the camera angle giving a false impression?
How neat is your shed, though :goggleeyes: No mess under the layout :D

Offline Graham 623

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »
Your last 1 looked realy good and this is taking shape , have yu got a track plan you could put up ?  :thankyousign:

Offline Lee

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 02:11:30 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks very much for the kind comments, will trying to answer all of you

@  newportnobby have tested it on old layout it was the same loops hidden under the boards but have retested again anyway and seems fine  ;)

@ Luke Piewalker There's no other place for the monitor unfortunately its inline with a cross trainer and its her viewing to stop her getting board, Hopefully the hills and water will take our eyes away from the monitor  ;)  8).

@ Graham 623 Thanks Not really done a track plan its just been laid down and tweaked I will sort something out once I input the track into the running software on the PC  ;)

Of to look at some your awesome layout

speak soon thanks again

Lee

Offline Lee

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 07:59:07 AM »
Hi all,

upper track work in place and managed to run 3 separate trains together had to do a bit of fine tuneing  but got there in the end.

Merry xmas all

Lee

Offline Geoff

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 09:36:51 AM »
Lee that looks superb i am enjoying this thread so much as I do not have the space like you do, so it just makes me feel happy to be shown how a big model railway is put toghether.

Keep up the good work and I am enjoying your progress.
Geoff

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 10:27:46 AM »
Agree with Geoff, and can't wait to see how the scenery will come about :thumbsup:

Offline Lee

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 02:45:27 PM »
Hi all,

Thank you

Its defiantly good to see some trains going after all them years it feels good.

Not done much the whole house old has had the dreaded man flu we all nearly back on our feet so dragged myself out to get some chicken wire ready for the hillside building.

I have glued the tunnel entrances into positions and had a mess about with placing some buildings around to get an idea of what I am trying to achieve ( I don't really know but I am sure I will get there hehehehe )

The two ends of layout will have  very high gradual  sloping rocky hills with at one side will have a mill with streams  coming down to the middle of the layout, there will be a few loco sheds in the area shown on the right with a little station of the main line,  on the left layout side will have a viaduct within the hills and valleys and of course more water leading to a lake.

Have a great new year speak soon

Lee

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here