!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Need help and advice  (Read 1694 times)

Offline boonie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • a clumsy perfectionist, so mostly disappointed
    • Ebay
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
Need help and advice
« on: December 02, 2013, 07:38:21 PM »
I hope this is the right place to ask this. If not somebody please advise! I am new to forums and quite new to n guage and just about to add nn3 to my n guage layout.
But its not that simple cos the tramway i am trying to emulate is half sized trams running on 2' 8" gauge track (Seaton to Colyton Tramway)
I have purchased the z guage track and thought i had found the right trams at 1:250 scale but they turned out to be too small for any hope of fitting a motor.
My need is some advice re the kind of tram to be approx right scale (or even just N sized if i have to to accomodate a motor, and where to get a motor for it to run on z gauge flex track (Peco). Plusdo i need different controller for z gauge motor?
I hope someone can help!
Cheers,
Boonie

It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always get in.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
Re: Need help and advice
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 08:16:48 PM »
Firstly, welcome aboard.
However, this is well outside my scope of expertise but someone will no doubt pop along later who can help you.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Agrippa

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 08:42:48 PM »
I think there is as confusion of scales and gauges, plenty of N scale trams, but not compatible with z track.
Z scale trams on an  N  gauge layout would look strange because the vehicles should be about the same size
as N scale , but the track would be narrower. Controllers for N should be ok for Z but not sure.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 08:46:50 PM by Agrippa, Reason: typo »
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 08:50:20 PM »
I think there is as confusion of scales and gauges, plenty of N scale trams, but not compatible with z track.
Z scale trams on an  N  gauge layout would look strange because the vehicles should about the same size
as N scale , but the track would be narrower. Controllers for N should be ok for Z but not sure.

No the Seaton ones are different - they are basically very large models. That differs from say Birmingham trams which were narrow gauge (and which is why there isn't one running at Crich  :'( )

On chassis see previous reply

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1724.msg179222#msg179222

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline boonie

• a clumsy perfectionist, so mostly disappointed
    • Ebay
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 12:21:04 AM »
Thankyou for the feedback folks, and the link to the reply to my first request which thought had dissappeared into the ether. I am having difficulty with forum type systems and using this iphone thing as well.
I did follow up the morised chassis but one is out of stock and the other was rather vague on cost of shipping and i am far to scottish to agree to an unknown amount. Has anyone successfully removed a motorised chassis from z gauge vehicle and put it in something else like an oxford model or matchbox?
Cheers,
Boonie

It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always get in.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 09:17:55 PM »
The Oxford tram is too narrow for the Marklin Z gauge motor. Don't know about some of the newer Rokuhan japanese chassis.

The matchbox one is a bit bigger than N gauge so can just about get a chassis stuffed into it. My measurer says you can *just* stuff a Märklin chassis up it.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 09:34:48 PM »
My measurer says you can *just* stuff a Märklin chassis up it.

They don't like it up 'em, Mr. Mainwaring :D

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
March Donations

Advertise Here