!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: "Micro" TMD layout -unnamed as yet  (Read 3352 times)

RST

• Trade Count: (0)
"Micro" TMD layout -unnamed as yet
« on: November 23, 2013, 03:03:05 PM »
Hi,

I've finally managed to make a decent attempt at a layout after many, many failed permutations.  I don't have much room and by whittling this one down to almost a micro size, seems to have worked for us so far -something more achievable anyway as a living room table project.

The biggest difference to this version was I started by sketching out in Anyrail first.  I think this is a fantastic improvement and as I'm an Autocad user anyway it's a complete doddle to use.  So I went away from allot of ideas and came up with a small fictitious TMD set somewhere between the end of BR green and well into BR Blue era.

Another big change was to scrap using settrack / streamline and go for finescale track as I really haven't had much luck with running locos over insulfrog so far.  I've dabbled with DCC and have the small Hornby controller, but decided to stick with DC so far, currently planning on using a Gaugemaster controller.  I may change this to one with a brake simulator and I may add in the option of DCC also.

Here's the track plan.  Size is 950mm x 300mm...

...there's 2 small headshunts, one hidden behind a shed / under the control panel, and the other on the r.h.s. which are long enough to accommodate a shunter and a couple of oil tankers for fuel deliveries.  I wanted this to be compact, in reflection I maybe should have made it 2" longer on each endwhich would also have meant shed 3 could be full length and not just a "low relief" effort (this shed was an afterthought with an extra point to give another siding rather than just one).  Having said that, the current headshunts are just over 190mm long which will be just enough.

Here's the mimic panel and controller layout so far which sits on the l.h.s.  All the points will be electric using Peco motors mounted underneath.  As you can see I built in as many isolated sections as possible -the mimic panels a bit tight for space as it's only 120mm wide.  The green dots are LED's for the point position, they'll be set-up using an indicator PCB I got from ebay ages ago which allows for the status of up to 8 points to be shown.  The grey circles are toggle switches for the isolated sections and the red dots are push buttons for the points (there's 3 of them for the triple way point on the bottom right hand side of the layout)...

...I have a gaugemaster track cleaner, so there's a toggle switch for switching it in/out.  I've heard so many contradicting stories with these I've decided to have it switched rather than permanently installed.

I'm a fair way into it now.  Will post up more later...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 03:10:08 PM by RST »

Online PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: "Micro" TMD layout -unnamed as yet
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 03:10:13 PM »
Beautiful!   :thumbsup:

Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 03:19:24 PM »
Nicely done and it is good to read you know where you are heading with your layout  ;)

cheers John.

RST

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 05:41:29 PM »
Well I have a rough idea though kind of making it up as I go.  I've made a few mistakes and wished I had planned a little further -some of the positions look a little cramped but ho hum...

I decided this time that I would make up my own baseboard rather than trying to use pre-made stuff like shelves from BnQ.  So tgis time I drew up a rough plan and had a load of 6mm PLY cut for me.  I made a couple of mistakes but went together well enough.  Glad I did it this way because it's much lighter than previous attempts.  The backscene uprights are covered in mounting board, painted with light blue emulsion so far.

I printed out the Anyrail onto A4 sheets at 100% and pasted them down with border and overlap adhesive.  This gave a great guide as to where track would go.  I made a couple of minor changes (added an extra point) and pasted over fresh sheets on top as I made the changes.  I made sure I allowed for wiring the point frogs -I had to add in some extra very thin wiring on the back of a couple of points.  The track is pinned down -using an archimedes drill to drill the track sleepers.  I'll ben over the track pins underneath when I turn over to do the wiring.  It'll all get secured properly when it's ballasted. I drilled the holed for the point motors first and blackened the areas underneath in case some ballast gets a bit thin round the mechanics.  I then cut all the isolated sections and soldered up small droppers everywhere so there should be a track feed every foot or so which should be more than enough.  Then I masked up the point frogs and sprayed everything with a can of sleeper grime...

NB:  I haven't bothered with cork this time -tried it often enough, I'm happier to go straight onto the baseboard.  I don't mind the noise and I don't find it much noisier anyway.

The bridge is made from card wrapped with brick paper, styrene strips etc. The small bit of surrounding scenery was made using scrap EPS from packaging then covered with the usual layers of plaster of paris bandage.

The scenic break for the fiddle yard top right is a bit of an afterthought really.  Tried a few different ideas from recycling old Metcalfe buildings into low relief warehouses.  I changed it and made a single warehouse structure from card etc.  Will post up details of that later as It's still a W.I.P.

NB:  Not everything is described in the right order here according to the picture sequence but I think makes sense as a rolling progress.  I'll break down the separate parts as individual items.

Offline beestie

• a 20 year old modeller and a BMW 3 series lover
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 05:51:05 PM »
looks good , :thumbsup:
James Beeston(aka mrjamestrain)

RST

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 05:58:38 PM »
So I might as well continue the "catch-up" and build up a few post counts...

I'm putting 3 sheds on the layout.  2 of them are the Scenecraft single road ones and the other is a Peco shed which I ended up cutting down as a "half model for the right hand side.

To make the concrete bases I first decided not to bother with inspection pits as they wouldn't be seen anyway (I've regretted this already).  After a bit of head scratching and failed previous attempts I came across a load of old stripboard during a clear-out and I thought the easiest way of doing the embedded track was to solder rails to it then infill with DAS clay.  The buildings are pushed into the wet clay so they locate themselves for final gluing down later...

The Peco shed was cut down with a razor saw -if I only made the board a few inches longer.  Nevermind...

...To be honest the idea's a bit rough'n ready.  I haven't got the hang of the clay -find it quite difficult to work with.  I sanded back some of the surface to get it a bit more level once it was dry.  Obviously I checked for shorts before laying the clay!  The sections were made using scrap code 80 rail sections which I didn't mind binning if it went wrong.  They sort of form individual isolated sections on the layout anyway.  Of course these were all made before the track was actually pinned own.  They got glued down and covered with the rail grime spray.  They'll get painted up later.

I just finished first painting of the Peco shed end now I got my airbrush cleaned up and spraying.  Needs weathering etc proper later...

RST

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 06:03:56 PM »
I have a CNC signwriting engraving machine at work for making up traffolite panels etc but as I'm off ill at the moment I've made up a mimic panel from very thin PLY with a paper print out stuck on top.  I've lacquered it with matt varnish I had but it'll need disassembling and a decent coat of clear varnish to give it any longevity before I can engrave up proper ones...

NB: I ran short of a push button when the pic was taken but I got another 2 since.

Offline DJFisher

• N Gauge Society Number: 24538
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 07:41:42 PM »
Ill keep an eye on this layout. Looks like a solid start :)

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 09:57:13 PM »
You are clearly an accomplished modeller RST, and I think some of the work you are producing would, if expanded a little, make great tutorials for many members.  I'm thinking about your point wiring, control circuits etc.
Nearly cried when I saw all that stripboard getting covered in putty, was thinking what I could do with it  ;D ingenious use for it though and a great solution  :thumbsup:

Offline porkie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20857
    • My Layout build so far.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 10:25:42 PM »
This is a stunning micro layout.
Love your idea of using pcb as a base.

Look forward to your next upeate.
:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1985 - 2000
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

Offline bees

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 05:46:42 AM »
keep up the great work, looking excellent so far
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

Offline dubbing_owl

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 03:37:53 PM »
this is looking a fantastic little layout, in such a small space it all fits together perfectly. Looking forward to seeing it progress
consillo et animus ~ it's how we roll

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
Truly a great little layout, looking forward to seeing this one develop. Thanks for sharing :greatpicturessign: :thankyousign:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Offline DJFisher

• N Gauge Society Number: 24538
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 05:34:30 PM »
Im hoping to see much more of this in the near future :) love a good little layout :)

Offline Shaun Harvey

• N Gauge Society Number: 22486
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 06:58:08 PM »
Great stuff. I'm a sucker for a good depot layout and this is going to be a good one!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £317.00
Above Goal: £262.00
Site Currency: GBP
576% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything