!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Chuck or colletts?  (Read 562 times)

Offline Dorsetmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
Chuck or colletts?
« on: October 21, 2013, 12:09:56 PM »
Hi, I seem to remember there being a reason for colletts, but never really liked them, given a choice I will always buy a tool with a chuck; when I'm lost in the middle of a job I can't put up with having to change collett because the bit I want to use is too big or too snall for the one in the tool, always assuming I can find the right size on the bench in what someone described as Clutter's last stand.

With a chuck it's always there on the tool when you need it.

I've always used Minicraft as they offer both chuck or collett and offer a chuck as an extra for tools supplied with colletts.

Dremel tools all seem to come with colletts, but they do offer a chuck as an extra.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Leo1961

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Chuck or colletts?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 12:39:13 PM »
A chuck will nornally only grip the tool in 3 places around it's circumference ( or 4 if you are using a 4-jaw chuck ) whereas a collet will provide grip through almost all of the circumference of the tool.

:thumbsup:

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
Re: Chuck or colletts?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 02:38:57 PM »
As Leo says, a collet will give a better grip, but unfortunately you need one for every size drill bit you want to use. I use a collet on my Archimedes drill as I only use one size of bit.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal