!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Grange  (Read 7914 times)

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Grange
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 04:23:20 PM »
by the way Dave, if you in the future contemplate a making a King, I will be right with you!
Me too. No idea what one would be doing down my small west-country branchline but that didn't stop me getting a pair of Westerns. :D
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline portland-docks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 05:17:36 PM »
hi dave

i expect dapol to be flogging off more stuff at unbelievably low prices at warley again? i couldnt believe the prices last year, all coaches £10, most locos £40 etc, i imagine same again to clear stock?

if thats the case im gonna need a big bag for coaches!
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Offline DJM Dave

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • DJModels Ltd
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
Hi Portland,

I have no idea I'm afraid as I no longer work for them (breaths heavy sign of relief), but in past years it happened, so maybe this year will be no different?

Cheers
Dave
N gauge Model Railway locomotive and rolling stock manufacturer.

Offline portland-docks

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 05:26:22 PM »
Hi Portland,

I have no idea I'm afraid as I no longer work for them (breaths heavy sign of relief), but in past years it happened, so maybe this year will be no different?

Cheers
Dave

well it would be nice! love warley its bargain central! will you be there in any shape or form?

i do know a few traders werent happy as one trader i know said he was told he "HAS" to sell dapol at warley at a certain price and dapol went and sold them for half price so they werent selling much dapol at all :/

whats your take on that? i dont mind i just go for cheapest option all the way!

Offline DJM Dave

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • DJModels Ltd
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 05:34:16 PM »
Hi Portland,

My take is no comment I'm afraid. Not for me to say, except wait for my memoirs. Lol

I might pop along to Warley and see some good friends and maybe be lucky enough to make some more.
Cheers
Dave
N gauge Model Railway locomotive and rolling stock manufacturer.

Offline portland-docks

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 05:35:55 PM »
hi dave

thats fair enough! your memoirs should make an interesting read ;)

wel i wish you the best with your new venture, i look forward to the j94s! (i think you should do one in NCB green number 49 :P )

ParkeNd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 07:19:36 PM »
Having just bought Pendeford Hall for my new layout I would be glad to see more new GWR designs in N - like the Grange.

Returning to N Gauge modelling post the Minitrix era when I last followed this hobby I find that locos for western regions and branchlines are in short supply. Early diesels like the 22, 24, 26, and 27 etc are around it is true and I have bought one of each. But even 57xx, 1400, and 64xx pannier tanks with which the region teemed are still on the Pre-Order lists. Any new spec Prairies to be had right now ?

Northern routes crack steam expresses abound in N (A4, A3, Britannia, etc) - as do very long bodied diesels from Class 56 upwards.

Given that the real train preservation scene is so dominated by GWR designs and BR standards then N gauge is going through a blank patch - or maybe just emerging from one?

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 11:04:56 PM »
The reason that so many GWR, BR standard & bullied pacific survived is down to one scrapyard, one man - Dai Woodham.
Alone amongst other scrapyards, he had a huge wagon cutting contract, and kept the locos for later - all the others were hand to mouth, and cut theirs up as soon as they arrived - heres to ST DAI, without him, most of the preservation movement would not exist

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 11:47:40 PM »
He was also a bit fond of them, and had his own model railway and I believe a garden railway too.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Online Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2013, 07:46:44 AM »
I already have 2, one black and one green from the initial batch, and would have bought a third at TINGS, but I like others noticed that the running plates of all those on sale were bent upwards from the leading driving wheel splasher to the buffer beam, that perhaps is why they have been so slow to sell - this is a problem that is not confined only to Dapol and N gauge, I have noted other models suffer this with, I presume, similar results.
by the way Dave, if you in the future contemplate a making a King, I will be right with you!

I have an Ixion Manor in black and love it.  I have noticed the bent running plate on the Halls and this put me off too.  Why is the running plate bent?

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbMLEwYTXc6fdwur2wOb0LA/videos

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2013, 08:08:43 AM »
I have an Ixion Manor in black and love it.  I have noticed the bent running plate on the Halls and this put me off too.  Why is the running plate bent?

It seems to be an assembly error at the factory rather than a problem with the parts themselves. There is a thread here about how to fix it. Mine are not bent so I have not tried it myself but it sounds like a quick job of unscrewing and replacing.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=16825.0
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2018, 07:04:48 PM »
Hi there.

There doesn't seem to be much in this thread about Grange's bad running, but I have a BR early crest Grange with a Manor tender (and also a Manor with a Manor tender) which have a tendency to have pick up problems from the tender. If I apply pressure to the tender top they run really well, when I let go, they go all jittery. I guess it is an electrical continuity fault, as I dont get this on my Halls or my Grange with the Hall tender.
Does anyone have anything to add to this, and how to solve the problem?

Bob

Offline potts

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2018, 07:43:32 PM »
Small amount of weight added to tender will help it.

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2018, 12:26:30 AM »
There doesn't seem to be much in this thread about Grange's bad running, but I have a BR early crest Grange with a Manor tender (and also a Manor with a Manor tender) which have a tendency to have pick up problems from the tender. If I apply pressure to the tender top they run really well, when I let go, they go all jittery. I guess it is an electrical continuity fault, as I dont get this on my Halls or my Grange with the Hall tender.
Does anyone have anything to add to this, and how to solve the problem?

Extremely common.

The pickup design on the tenders is extremely poor, but the Hall tender is an earlier (read: superior) design.

Therefore you need to make sure the loco pickup is working - check this first by lifting the tender off track. If no power then you need to check the loco-tender wires, and their posts for continuity.

Assuming it does get power, then it may well be intermittent. If so then this is another design issue where the front bogie lifts the front drivers enough that their contact with the track is poor. Easy to test - remove the front bogie and try running - if notably better then you need to file down the raised bump on the front end of the bogie drawbar - it will be taking the weight of the loco, which you don't want.

I've always made errant Granges work notably better with these mods.

HTH,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2018, 08:58:07 AM »
Thanks Alan
That's very useful knowledge to have.
Bob

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30