!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Grange  (Read 7760 times)

Offline 4x2

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
Dapol Grange
« on: October 08, 2013, 11:53:46 AM »
Just reading my November issue of Railway Modeller and Dapol are to release a Grange. Due to be released mid 2014 and priced at 120 for DC and 140 for DCC. Usual features including 'super creep' motor and tungsten chassis etc, no liveries announced yet though...
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline GWR-Kris

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Grange
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 12:53:24 PM »
.... Due to be released mid 2014...

Thats about mid 2015 normal time

Offline 4x2

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 01:34:53 PM »
.... Due to be released mid 2014...

Thats about mid 2015 normal time
considering the announcement from Dapol at their open day, i'll be supprised if it appears at all ! I suspect that the piece in the mag was done before the open day, so it probably got missed.
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline Richard G Dallimore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17713
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 03:09:49 PM »
what announcement at open day? This was announced at TINGS a month ago, It was mentioned at the open day as middle of next year.
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Dapol Apologist (according to RMWeb)
Grumpy Old Git (Late 40s)
Member of NGS (but not allowed to comment)
Why am I surrounded by maroons?

Offline 4x2

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 04:22:52 PM »
what announcement at open day? This was announced at TINGS a month ago, It was mentioned at the open day as middle of next year.
I may have crossed wires here... This was the 'Announcement' I was referring to....

Quote from Robert Shrives - Hi gang,
Great day at Dapol open day, held at Cambrian Rly Owestry. Engine/brakevan rides in 12" to the foot scale. Only anouncement was on consolidation of range and directed efforts at upping electrical standards with a more hands on management style with Chinese factory - good luck my thoughts !!!

I took it from this that some models would be cut or put on the back burner, which seemed to contradict with the article in the Railway modeller that a new model had been announced, hence my comments - I wasn't aware that Dapol had previously announced the Grange, I don't tend to model steam these days and I was at TINGS so I probably heard it, but it didn't sink in...

Sorry if I caused confusion... :( :dunce: At least I've started the thread for it !

Mike

Offline Richard G Dallimore

• N Gauge Society Number: 17713
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 04:31:30 PM »
See Dapol open day thread, consolidation means stop announcing lots of new items and get on with what has been promised. I am not aware of any new cancellations or items moved even further back. 2 new staff need to find their feet and play catch up and try to improve things as well.
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Dapol Apologist (according to RMWeb)
Grumpy Old Git (Late 40s)
Member of NGS (but not allowed to comment)
Why am I surrounded by maroons?

Offline trkilliman

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 05:05:11 PM »
I reckon the Grange will be well received.

They were used extensively on the Cornwall/Devon banks, and I imagine many will model parts of this.
Dapol have come in for their fair share of flack, so I would think two new members of staff would be working on improving things.
They have always been in the shadow of Farish, and with a new kid on the block (DJM) they will surely look to sort out the areas that niggle some customers. I have several Dapol steam locos (with no problems) and really look forward to the Grange appearing, hopefully with some in early emblem.

The Kardon shaft they use must merit somewhat a re-think with the competition making advances with their motors?

Steve

Falmouth 

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 07:09:41 PM »
I reckon the Grange will be well received.

They were used extensively on the Cornwall/Devon banks, and I imagine many will model parts of this.
Dapol have come in for their fair share of flack, so I would think two new members of staff would be working on improving things.
They have always been in the shadow of Farish, and with a new kid on the block (DJM) they will surely look to sort out the areas that niggle some customers. I have several Dapol steam locos (with no problems) and really look forward to the Grange appearing, hopefully with some in early emblem.

The Kardon shaft they use must merit somewhat a re-think with the competition making advances with their motors?

Steve

Falmouth

The Ixion Manor shows though that a Cardan Shaft need not be all that obtrusive but I would think that the Grange will take advantage of using the Dapol's existing GW tenders to keep tooling costs down. So, coupled to the comment that the "Super Creep" motor will be used, for that loco at least it appears the Cardan Shaft arrangement will remain.

As to the future releases who can say, but it does rather look like the latest Farish offerings are leaving Dapol behind in almost every respect possible (The Ivatt and WD in particular are in a totally different league). I do not doubt that Dapol will want to address that and with DJM specifying coreless motors too...

Roy

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 11:45:04 PM »
The position of the cardan shaft is an implementation issue not a tender motor limitation. Its perfectly possible to drop it just below the fall plate so its out of sight.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 12:44:42 AM »
depending on your point of view, a Grange is a Hall with Manor wheels, or a Manor with a Hall boiler, the coupled wheel base being the same and I think also the bogie, so the various components are already there - I cannot understand why Dapol didn't do one sooner

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 12:02:49 PM »
Plus they ran with both 3500 gallon churchward tenders and 4000 gallon collett tenders (and others too) both of which Dapol have in their range.

I think they did not announce it earlier to avoid flooding the market. We have had a Manor, Hall, 2884 and pannier tank in the last few years. I think that pacing their releases to avoid market saturation (and customer bankruptcy  :laugh: ) is probably a wise move.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline DJM Dave

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • DJModels Ltd
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 02:06:15 PM »
Hi Matt,

I can tell you that the Grange wasnt a model i had talked about before i left, as i had plans already in China for 4 other steam locos for production at a future date.

Knowing the sales profiles of the Manor and Halls i wouldnt, however, have chosen a Grange until almost every other loco in the UK had been done.

Cheers
Dave

N gauge Model Railway locomotive and rolling stock manufacturer.

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 02:25:57 PM »
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info, always interesting to get inside story. The Grange is of course similar to both the Manor and the Hall. On the one hand this means that their sales potential could overlap, on the other it also makes development comparitively easy.

It is somewhat ammusing that the same standardisation policy that the GWR employed to help keep its own costs down are helping model makers do exactly the same 80 years later.  :laugh:

Interesting comment about the sales profiles. The Manor is on its 3rd production run and the Hall its second. This suggests that they have been well received (I have bought from further batches as well as the originals).

Regards, Matt
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 02:27:48 PM by Karhedron »
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline DJM Dave

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • DJModels Ltd
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 03:42:36 PM »
Hi Matt,

don't forget the Manor has been around wince 3 years ago, the hall 2 years or so.
Now if you only produce 300 of each name and number, that aint a lot.

Also, bear in mind that in the last year (Ally Pally, NGS show, Warley, Leamington, Ally Pally, NGS show) the halls and Manors have been sold off to clear at very cheap prices (and note that there are 100 Pendleford Halls currently jobbed into train set packs to get them off the books too).

That's not a huge demand really is it?
It's one of the reasons that I wouldn't touch another GWR 4-6-0 for a long while apart from a Castle (already taken) or a King.

Cheers
Dave
N gauge Model Railway locomotive and rolling stock manufacturer.

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 04:00:59 PM »
I already have 2, one black and one green from the initial batch, and would have bought a third at TINGS, but I like others noticed that the running plates of all those on sale were bent upwards from the leading driving wheel splasher to the buffer beam, that perhaps is why they have been so slow to sell - this is a problem that is not confined only to Dapol and N gauge, I have noted other models suffer this with, I presume, similar results.
by the way Dave, if you in the future contemplate a making a King, I will be right with you! 

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations

anything