!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Northallerton  (Read 77312 times)

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Northallerton
« Reply #120 on: May 11, 2012, 05:26:26 PM »
'Tis a fantastic layout  :thumbsup:

Don't envy the work involved even though it's a team effort, bad enough having the workload I have with my 'little' 12'x3'  ::)

Great work so far though by all involved, looking forward to seeing it finished at an exhibition sometime in the future  :)

Malc, regarding joining boards have a look at THIS POST which gives another method of fixing/aligning track at board-edges and also has a link to suitable dowels for making sure the boards line up every time  :thumbsup:

Paul

Hi Paul
It's the building of a project like his that I find highly rewarding. It's great working with others, when you look at it as time well spent. That's actually something I have learned since the project started. Somewhere in he thread i thinkive said that I spent a lot of my summer holiday putting he boards together. I have to say that that was the most unfulfilling part of the project because I was working by myself. Working (if you can call it work?) in a team is so much more fun, for me at least.
We hope to be exhibiting at our own show in August 2013, although it will be on show at our club room open day in September.
Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: May 11, 2012, 05:41:30 PM »
Hi Malcolm
Thanks for your kind comments.
We do use dowels, brass dowels to align the boards, but I would say much more crucial than that is having boards that are straight and square. Straightness and squareness makes the boards line up easily. This is achieved by using good grade ply which is all cut cut on a machine, and a jig used to assemble the girders. A different jig was used to put the girders together. There is still some movement  but it has been minimised.
We only use two m10 bolts between two boards, though we could use a third in the middle if needs be. So far, the problems have been more to do with poor track laying/ soldering than anything else. But mainly we've been pleased with the results.
Cheers
Kirky

Thanks for the info...just off to B & Q for some M10 bolts and wing nuts.

Regards

Malc
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Offline Donkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22825
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: May 11, 2012, 07:20:23 PM »

We hope to be exhibiting at our own show in August 2013, although it will be on show at our club room open day in September.
Cheers
Kirky

Details of open day nearer the time please kirky, I would love to see this layout "in the flesh" so to speak.

Marty

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2012, 07:39:17 PM »

Cheers
Kirky

Details of open day nearer the time please kirky, I would love to see this layout "in the flesh" so to speak.

Marty
I'll try to remember, a gentle prod might be needed in August.
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: May 12, 2012, 04:31:08 PM »
Some more videos, taken with the ipad;

http://youtu.be/PSEH5UyPkyc
http://youtu.be/Vhwmec6N6Yk
http://youtu.be/tiENFVaDV2s
http://youtu.be/DqpMx2vmME8

Various test runs to check track work before we stick it down, its still only attacked at the ends of the boards.
Still need to iron out one or two issues.
Running, is a dapol voyager with sound chip fitted but not on. A farish 66 pulling dapol spines with a few containers. A farish ews 60 pulling some dapol megafrets and a farish freightliner shanks without train.
Enjoy.

Cheers
Kirky
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 07:34:07 PM by Illori, Reason: fixed links »

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: May 12, 2012, 06:34:47 PM »
Thanks for posting these. I particularly liked 4 and 7 where the Voyager goes past the freight train. Its certainly going to be a very, very impressive layout when it is finished. Looking forwards to seeing it in the flesh (so to speak).

Malc
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2012, 06:42:54 AM »
Thanks for posting these. I particularly liked 4 and 7 where the Voyager goes past the freight train. Its certainly going to be a very, very impressive layout when it is finished. Looking forwards to seeing it in the flesh (so to speak).

Malc

So do I - that Dapol voyager goes much quicker than my slowcoach Farish ones! Love this layout
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2012, 09:03:09 AM »

So do I - that Dapol voyager goes much quicker than my slowcoach Farish ones! Love this layout
That's interesting. We were saying yesterday we thought it was a bit slow. It's partly due to the chip too though. That voyager has a CT Electronik sound decoder installed, which are great for slow running!
Anyway it is flat out on the videos, whereas the other locos are set to a more realistic speed.

Glad you like it though.

Cheers
Kirky

Offline Greybeema

• N Gauge Society Number: 22399
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2012, 09:11:36 AM »
Brilliant build - really enjoying this - keep the videos coming.  Quite interested in the Fiddle Yard as we dont see them very often and am interested in its design (really looking for the best wat to get the longest loops into the shortest space)...

:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2012, 09:37:25 AM »
Brilliant build - really enjoying this - keep the videos coming.  Quite interested in the Fiddle Yard as we dont see them very often and am interested in its design (really looking for the best wat to get the longest loops into the shortest space)...

Glad you like it.
The fiddle yard really isn't built yet. This is due to funds more than anything. We're hoping to get a couple of loops in soon though.
You might be best looking at the plan, at the beginning of the thread, in order to see what the fiddle yard will look like. Incidentally when we started planning in earnest, we started with the fiddle yard. That's because we nicked he idea from allerton junction.
I think he longest loop we have is twelve feet long, but I'll measure it on Tuesday if I remember.

Cheers
kirky

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2012, 09:53:38 AM »

That's interesting. We were saying yesterday we thought it was a bit slow. It's partly due to the chip too though. That voyager has a CT Electronik sound decoder installed, which are great for slow running!
Anyway it is flat out on the videos, whereas the other locos are set to a more realistic speed.

Glad you like it though.

Cheers
Kirky
My Voyagers do 85mph top speed.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline hawkeye

• N Gauge Society Number: 20247
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2012, 11:01:09 AM »
Hi Kirky,
This thread gets better & better :thumbsup:. Really interested in this location as it's my local station, so can't wait to see further progress. Hope to get to see it when you have your open day so don't forget to give us the date asap.

Tony

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2012, 11:42:28 AM »
Hi guys
According to our website the provisional date for our open day, where you can see Northallerton is 22nd Sept, see herehttp://www.cleveland-mrc.org.uk/events.html for further details?

Don't forget you can come and talk to me about the project at our exhibition on August 4th and 5th, I'll be on a dcc demo stand.

Cheers
Kirky

Offline Maurits71

• N Gauge Society Number: 23800
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: July 10, 2012, 01:16:50 PM »
Any updates yet as this is one of the topics I love to follow  :)
Hills and Meadows on social media

For Hills and Meadows video channel please click here

For Hills and Meadows on facebook please click here

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: July 11, 2012, 12:12:31 AM »
Thanks for that, glad that it interests you.
The update is basically that we are up to point control. This has been discussed in a different thread which I think I called 'servo point control'.
I'll check that in a minute or two, I'll see if I can work out how post a link ( after several glasses of vino, hick)
Cheers
Kirky

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here