!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Molesworth Vale  (Read 6928 times)

Offline andy-sf

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Molesworth Vale
« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2019, 07:37:47 PM »
Hi All,

My March track laying push is progressing well. Over the weekend I lifted the parts that were identified in my previous post as being poorly thought out and replaced as much as I could while the new single-slip was being shipped to me. I also pushed on with laying more of the sidings. The slip arrived on Tuesday and so with a quick trip down to the train room I was able to complete the relay. I still have three sets of points to wire up and fix into position, along with 6 short sections to form the remaining sidings in the goods yard and the loco shed spur. I should be finished with this at the weekend and may even be able to start the mammoth job of attaching the point motors and starting to wire everything up. I need to build out the control panel before the wiring can be finished completely.

Here is the relaid section that allows more direct access to the goods shed:

And a couple of pictures showing the entirety of the 'station' board:

For anyone who is curious, when I'm finished track laying, I will have used 40+ ft of track for this area alone, and something north of 150ft for the whole layout. There are 36 sets of points, 2 crossings, 1 single slip and 1 double slip. Phew!

- Andy

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2019, 09:25:44 PM »
That's looking seriously good.
Mind you, I think you may get some derailments on the point bottom left in the first pic :worried: ;)

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2019, 09:39:46 PM »
The line on the far right does not look too good either.  ;) :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2019, 11:32:08 PM »
The points bottom left as well as top left (and the associated sidings), and the siding middle right, have all been flagged by the site supervisor as wholly unacceptable. Rest assured that the P-Way team will not be rewarded with a large, cold beer until this situation has been resolved.  You just can't get the staff these days... :(

- Andy

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2019, 09:57:14 PM »
Hi All,

I'm happy to report that as of Saturday evening, and a whole day ahead of schedule, I have finished all phase 1 track work and have been able to start on the control panel and wiring tasks. I hope to have this all completed by the end of April. Phase 2 will take place once the control panel and track is all wired up/fully tested, the structures are placed, and will consist of adding sleepers to the gaps/joins and then ballasting.

Sunday saw the start of the point motor placement. This actually progressed much faster than expected, thanks to the extra access available for this baseboard when compared to the one for the fiddle yard. Despite this it still took me about 4 hours to get everything placed and oriented exactly where I wanted it. After a couple of close calls nearly stabbing myself with the actuator wires coming up through the baseboard, I decided to add little flags to them until I can trim them down to track level (which may be a while as I don't want to do this until everything is shown to be working correctly).

With all point motors in place, I switched my attention to the construction of the 14 lever frame that is needed to control movement through the station/goods yard area, as well as the two junctions that allow me to run a shorter continuous loop that avoids the fiddle yard and station. I added this connection early in my planning so that I could have some movement on the main lines while I entertain myself with some shunting etc. You can just make out the connecting lines at the far end of the second picture - the higher part of the line splits at the far end of the station board on the left (under the two white boxes), crossing the middle of the three bridges and rejoining the main line a little way before the road bridge.

I need to build out the enclosure for this frame and then I can start to tackle the wiring up of this forest, which will get much worse before it gets better...

- Andy

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2019, 10:03:48 PM »
Eek! :goggleeyes: :worried:

Online dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2019, 10:05:42 PM »
Eek! :goggleeyes: :worried:

Well that's one way of putting it!  :)
David.

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2019, 10:41:25 PM »
I somewhat over-engineered my track feeds - every single piece of track is powered independently, regardless of size, and anything over 18 inches gets two sets of feeds. I should have no problems with the reliability of the track power, but it has certainly generated a lot of extra work when it comes to wiring...  :uneasy:

- Andy

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2019, 07:53:44 PM »
Hi,

I had a very productive weekend working on the layout, making good use of the time I had available to progress the wiring up of the station board. The first job that was undertaken was to build out the level frame/control box cut-out. This followed the same basic method as the one for the fiddle yard which was detailed in an earlier post. There are 14 levers in this frame as opposed to the 10 in the first one I built so things are just a little more complicated. Unfortunately, I neglected to photograph the woodwork as it progressed  :(

Once the notch was made for the panel, I could position the levers and their stand within it and fix these to the supporting board which attaches beneath the layout. With that in place, I added the terminal blocks that will ultimately be wired to the point motors themselves, and then settled down with a cold beer to solder the 168 pieces of wire needed. I could have avoided this many connections, but I'd rather have everything tidy than leave a bunch of unconnected bits floating around and causing confusion. Here is the end result:

The following images show the supporting board fixed in place under the layout, and also with the 'lid' of the panel in place. I'm pretty happy with how these lever frames have turned out. They were a lot of work and more complicated than I really needed, but I think having working levers adds to the atmosphere and fun :)

With all that work completed, I could tackle the first cluster of track feeds.

There is a LOT more wiring to finish off, so it may be a while before my next update (I'm pretty sure no-one wants to look at photos of dangling wires over and over again!) but I'm pleased to say I am a little ahead of schedule and should be able to run trains by the end of the month at the latest.

- Andy

Online dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2019, 08:04:00 PM »
Quite a clever piece of work Andy - and neat. As regards not taking photographs as the woodwork progressed, can you not take it to bits and then put it back together again, taking photographs as you go along!  ??? :no: ;D
David.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2019, 09:32:02 PM »
I'm pretty sure no-one wants to look at photos of dangling wires over and over again!

Please - no! :no: It just gives me nightmares of what's to come on my layout

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2019, 01:07:15 AM »
The wiring is complete! At last!!!

All things considered it went pretty well but it was not completely smooth sailing... My first issue was that I had to reverse the wiring for my point motors to make sure frog polarity was correct - sadly I had all except 3 wired the wrong way. Next I discovered a fault with my double slip. It seems that after laying it, and before testing, the thin wire for powering one of the frogs was breaking and so the feed was failing fairly often. Fortunately I was able to solder a new dropper to it on the inside of the rail (but not where it would snag any wheels as they run over it) and feed it down through the baseboard, avoiding the point motor that lurked underneath. Once I've ballasted the track you will have to look pretty hard to find it. Another interesting challenge was getting my single slip wired up. I had to add a dual frog juicer to deal with the frog polarity but once the part had arrived, it was a straightforward job to connect everything up. I've now run a locomotive over every set of points and every crossing with no issues to report.

The final problem involved two pairs of points randomly activating. These two pairs are each operated by a single lever and are at the far end of the station baseboard - a wiring distance of almost 10ft. It seems that the mass of wires under the board were enough to induce a current in them. After a bit of internet sleuthing, I realised that my failure to twist the feed wires to these distant motors was likely the cause. After a frustrating hour or so of disconnecting, pulling back all the way to the control panel, twisting and re-threading the wires through the baseboard supports, I tried again. Same problem. A bit more internet digging and I found that a second step should finally eliminate the problem. So, after a purchase from Amazon (other online retailers do exist), I returned to the railway room armed with some 1N4002 diodes. These were added to the ends of the wires and hey presto, no more phantom point movements. I've still got a bunch of these so if the issue ever occurs again, I will add then wherever needed (there will be a little more electrical work to be done as the scenics progress as some of my buildings are going to have lights and I may add a few other features in the future.)

On the final weekend in April, I got started with my platforms. Using some card that was cut roughly to shape, I used the standard method of a pencil placed on the mid 'inner' side of my longest stock to trace the edge for platform 1 and the end of the 'outer' side for platform 2. After trimming this down, I had my basic card formers.

My initial plan was to use Metcalfe platform kits as I've had success with these before but after some thinking, I was concerned about possible sagging of the surface, given the 3-4ft length. I opted for Peco platform edges and after finding some foam board lying around unused, discovered that a double thickness of this is pretty much a perfect fit for the sides (I had to trim the bottom edge support of the platform edges for this to work properly). The end result is that I now have a solid platform that has remained incredibly lightweight. I've done all of the rail side of platform 1 with the exception of the end ramps. I'll finish off this side of the station at the weekend and will take some better photos (the following ones are a little blurry) as that should help me decide if it's worked out well enough before I tackle platform 2.

The eagle-eyed amongst you may also notice that the sleeper gaps left from when I was laying the track have vanished. I spent far too many hours cutting up old bits of track, removing the sleeper ends and middles, then very carefully picking them up with tweezers and glueing them into place. It's still giving me nightmares and I have more to do on some other stretches.  :(

- Andy
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 01:18:32 AM by andy-sf »

Offline Michiel

• Nothing is wrong, as long as it's fun!
    • Google+
    • PhotoBucket
    • YouTube
    • Brussels-Luxemburg anno 1920
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2019, 06:56:13 AM »
I just discovered your topic, and I really like what I see. I adore the flow of the tracks. Very inspiring, great work there, and thank you for sharing.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2019, 07:19:33 AM »
Looking very good Andy, and the lever frame is truly impressive.  :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £90.00
Below Goal: £70.00
Site Currency: GBP