!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Lima coaches - too big?  (Read 4350 times)

Offline Frostyweb

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Lima coaches - too big?
« on: September 23, 2013, 09:52:16 AM »
Hello,

New to this forum and N gauge modelling. I am looking at buying some Lima coaches on Ebay, I did hear that they are bigger than Farish etc. coaches, is this true?

Thank you.

Tony.

Offline 4x2

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
Re: Lima coaches - too big?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 09:59:23 AM »
Hello,

New to this forum and N gauge modelling. I am looking at buying some Lima coaches on Ebay, I did hear that they are bigger than Farish etc. coaches, is this true?

Thank you.

Tony.
To be honest - don't waste your money, they are all over the place in terms of scale. Older farish stuff is a much better investment, and can be just as cheap.
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 11:01:28 AM »
As far as UK N gauge goes, Lima stuff is actually smaller (being 1/160 scale I think) and will look distinctly odd unless being hauled by a Lima loco.
However, if you REALLY want some I have about 20 or so I'm looking to sell :D

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 11:07:18 AM »
Almost all the uk lima is widely out of scale. They did a couple of things before the end which were better. I'd give the coaches a miss
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline BernardTPM

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3490
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 02:03:13 PM »
The only Lima rolling stock worth looking for are the late style Siphon G and the GWR Horsebox. All the rest has either been done better elsewhere or are the wrong size (the Mk.1 CCT would was to correct scale and would have been on the list, but the new Farish by Bachmann is much better). Even the first two could be improved with better running gear.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 03:30:03 PM »
The Siphon G is a direct fit to the Dapol Siphon chassis
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline E Pinniger

• N Gauge Society Number: 23704
    • Ebay
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 06:08:28 PM »
I'd agree with 4x2 that old Lima Mk1 coaches are just not worth bothering with - apart from the scale issue they're fairly crude detail-wise, have huge pizza-cutter wheels and no flush glazing. Old Poole Farish coaches can be bought for well under 10 each (even on eBay, with a bit of patience and/or luck) and Lima coaches don't sell as cheaply as you'd expect, presumably collectors still want them...

Ironically, the Lima Deltic and Class 31 are overscale (to fit the bulky Lima "pancake" motor bogie) so their own coaches will look even more undersized when hauled by them!

It's a matter of opinion, but I'd also avoid Minitrix Mk1s, they're more or less correctly scaled but have non-flush glazing and the roof curvature looks a bit "off" somehow compared to Farish ones - they also generally have inferior paint finishes though this can be improved by repainting the roofs + underframes. They do tend to sell for a fair bit less than either Lima or Farish coaches (I sold three WR ones for only 12 not long ago) so might still be worth considering if you want to run long trains on the cheap.

Offline BernardTPM

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 07:04:26 PM »
It's a matter of opinion, but I'd also avoid Minitrix Mk1s, they're more or less correctly scaled but have non-flush glazing and the roof curvature looks a bit "off" somehow compared to Farish ones - they also generally have inferior paint finishes though this can be improved by repainting the roofs + underframes. They do tend to sell for a fair bit less than either Lima or Farish coaches (I sold three WR ones for only 12 not long ago) so might still be worth considering if you want to run long trains on the cheap.
Since the underframe is better than either the Lima or Farish ones, they might make good candidates for Motorail flats.

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 07:07:24 PM »
The Minitrix Gresley Teaks are good though, just hope the prices stay down so I can finish the rake I want for cross country services.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 06:27:36 PM »
The Minitrix Gresley Teaks are good though, just hope the prices stay down so I can finish the rake I want for cross country services.

They were outstanding models for their time. The range was rather limited but they were very accurate and in some ways are noticeably more accurate than the Dapol ones, although the Dapol finish is much finer.

Alan

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 06:55:46 PM »
How would a mixed rake of Dapol and Minitrix look, is there any glaring difference in colour or other noticeable areas?

Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Paul B

• N Gauge Society Number: 19167
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 08:35:56 PM »
How would a mixed rake of Dapol and Minitrix look, is there any glaring difference in colour or other noticeable areas?

I often run a mixed rake of Dapol Gresley Teaks with Minitrix, and I don't mind the mixture of colours. When you look at photo's of LNER coaches, you often find differences in colours, as some coaches are older, some are newer, and some have been re-varnished recently. The Dapol coaches have had a good attempt at 'teak grain' effect, but it is probably a little out of scale - the Minitrix teaks have no teak grain finish, but are just all over 'teak' colour, whic, in N scale, looks OK to my eyes! I will have to try to get a few photos posted of both of you would like?
LNER (and PKP) fan in the home of the GWR!

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 09:27:03 PM »
If you repaint the minitrix ones you can get a pretty good paint match to the Dapol using the Precision enamel teak then a dry brushing of precision weathered teak

Offline BernardTPM

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 04:52:33 PM »
The Minitrix Gresleys are of a slightly earlier design with turnbuckle rather than angle truss underframes. The Brake Composites are correctly to a different arrangement (different LNER Diagram number). Interestingly the Thirds are nominally to the same Diagram number but, as well as the different underframe there's a subtle difference on the corridor side panel arrangement - you'd probably only notice it if they were side by side.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations