!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Does anyone here know much about the Bounemouth MPD in the Steam Era?  (Read 530 times)

Offline TimothyB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26733
    • Awards
Hello All,

(Mods. if this is in the wrong place, apologies)

I'm trying to plan a model of Bournemouth MPD as it was in the good old days of steam.  So I'm after details of the real thing

According to the maps in both Paul Bolger's book 'BR Steam Motive Power Depots SR' and Chris Hawkins & George Reeves' book 'An Historical Survey of Southern Sheds', there appears to be a line , the leftmost shed road (when viewed from the front of the shed), exiting from the rear of the shed and passing under one of the the road bridge arches, however looking at what's left of the site on Google maps and comparing with contemporary photographs there seems to be too much of a height difference for this to have been the case.

Does anyone on here know how the line in question actually was arranged?

Regards to all,

Timothy

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
Re: Does anyone here know much about the Bounemouth MPD in the Steam Era?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 03:03:50 PM »
You could try getting in touch with the chap posting this thread on RMweb, (and drool at some of the modelling shown in the thread!)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/44478-bournemouth-central-model-railway-group/

I'll go through my books and see if there is anything to help. I suspect the line you are enquiring about may have been a siding on the far side of the bridge.

There was a siding ran between the shed and the up running line which would be used to reverse stock into when joining the Bournemouth West and Weymouth portions bound for Waterloo, the first portion to arrive was pulled back onto the siding, the second portion would then arrive and the coaches in the siding propelled forward again and coupled on, the loco of the second portion would then take the train on. I didn't notice any set operation for which portion arrived first, Weymouth or B West. In the years before MNs were allowed west of Bournemouth then the Weymouth would arrive and set back and an MN come in from B West.

In the other direction I recall almost continuous announcements blaring out about which portion to be in for the continuation of the journey which often seemed involved when there was a Swanage portion as well!

Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline TimothyB

• N Gauge Society Number: 26733
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 10:24:41 AM »
Hello Dorsetmike,

Many thanks for your reply, I've subsequently found a couple of photographs on Flickr, albeit modern image and showing the current track arrangement, taken from the other side of the road bridge which seem to show the main running lines climbing again as the pass the older part of the shed such that on the up side of the bridge the two sections are more or less level by the time the crossing into the siding was reached.

Thanks for the operational info on how the up trains were assembled, I knew roughly how the down trains were split up but until your post the up movements were a total mystery.

Regards

Timothy

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 10:46:52 AM »
Thanks for the operational info on how the up trains were assembled, I knew roughly how the down trains were split up but until your post the up movements were a total mystery.

Reminiscences, having experienced it as a passenger and viewed it as a train spotter a number of times back in the 1940s - in both directions! 
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 03:34:22 PM »
The great thing about Bournemouth shed was that you could watch all the action from the station.
Great memories.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
April Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal