New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Battle of Britain/West Country pacifics  (Read 14292 times)

Offline roundhouse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20577
    • PhotoBucket
    • Model Rail South East
    • Awards
Re: Battle of Britain/West Country pacifics
« Reply #135 on: December 05, 2018, 05:09:50 PM »
I really hope it is a good runner and a good looking model as will require a few for a future layout but at that price I won’t be having as many as I do in OO scale.
Modelling N scale  USA and UK

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: December 05, 2018, 05:43:31 PM »
One thing that is often forgotten about the average wage today compared to what it was in the 1970,s as in a post above, today's average wage is seriously inaccurate because of the much higher number of very very high salary multi millionaire business executives, it is their high salaries that are making the "Average Wage" look good when in real life most people in normal jobs earn closer to the minimum wage which is just over £15k with most having little chance of ever being average. 8)

Obviously if we average people cant afford to buy trains we should find less expensive things to spend our heard earned on, like food and rent, and leave all the toys to the wealthy, who don't have to ask how much is that and just ask can I buy them all so I can put them in a cupboard and drool over my exclusive collection :wave:

To be honest its never been and never will be a poor man (Other sexual denominations are available) hobby.

Hat Coat Door
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 09:04:09 PM by Paul-H »
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2018, 12:35:18 PM »
Again, I could be wrong but usually the tooling cost is amortised in full (or major part) over the first run so subsequent runs should not incur the same cost levels.

That used to be the case for Dapol but I do not know if it still is It was often the case that 2nd and subsequent runs were cheaper than the first although that is now no longer the case. Farish amortise the cost of their toolings over several runs but have not said how many.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2018, 02:07:51 PM »
I don't know where this myth of the tooling costs being amortised and therefore the price can go down has come from. Whilst it is true that in financial accounting terms you amortise the cost of the tooling over the production run but this is merely so you can define financial profit and loss each year. Whether tool costs have been fully amortised or not is irrelevant to the price. What matters to a business, whether it is profitable or not, is the cash position. In the real world the cash generated by sales of current stock is needed to provide the investment for future models. Reduce the cash being generated and you reduce your future model programme which ultimately will see your business sink. Hornby's problems are all around how to raise enough cash to invest in new models and nothing to do with whether previous models have paid for themselves or not.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: December 06, 2018, 04:30:52 PM »
I don't believe it has been said 2nd or more runs are lower in price, only that they may be cheaper to produce. Personally, I don't believe anything becomes cheaper to the purchaser until the manufacturer wants it to.

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: December 06, 2018, 05:04:09 PM »
Well said and so true
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #141 on: December 06, 2018, 07:59:35 PM »
I don't believe it has been said 2nd or more runs are lower in price, only that they may be cheaper to produce. Personally, I don't believe anything becomes cheaper to the purchaser until the manufacturer wants it to.

It used to be the case that second and subsequent runs from Dapol were cheaper than originals. The second batch of 9Fs were £20 or £30 cheaper than the first ones. At the time, Dave Jones explained that it was because it was Dapol policy to amortise the tooling on the first run so subsequent runs were cheaper.

This is not a myth, you can find posts on here to that effect if you go back 6+ years. Of course a lot has changed since then and Dapol certainly don't do second runs cheaper now.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: December 07, 2018, 01:13:53 PM »
Kernow newsletter is listing them at £169.99 for DC (and they're usually slightly more expensive than Rails or Hattons) along with anticipated availability Qtr 1 2020.

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #143 on: December 07, 2018, 02:15:30 PM »
Kernow newsletter is listing them at £169.99 for DC (and they're usually slightly more expensive than Rails or Hattons) along with anticipated availability Qtr 1 2020.

That is the traditional 15% off the RRP so looks accurate.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything