!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Battle of Britain/West Country pacifics  (Read 20578 times)

Online Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Re: Battle of Britain/West Country pacifics
« Reply #165 on: January 27, 2020, 01:12:11 PM »
Hattons are showing "Due in stock March 2020"  :thumbsup:

Offline eddief83

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27517
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: January 27, 2020, 01:25:12 PM »

Given that we have not seen a sample body yet, nevermind a painted sample of each model I would say that date was an old one that has not been updated by Dapol for Hattons to correct

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: January 27, 2020, 03:35:52 PM »

Maybe they got that info from Farish :-X

Offline GWR-Kris

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: February 09, 2020, 10:39:42 AM »
What makes me laugh is on the Dapol website the rrp for the sound fitted is £330 I mean seriously, that is just a complete rip off.,

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: February 09, 2020, 10:55:51 AM »
What makes me laugh is on the Dapol website the rrp for the sound fitted is £330 I mean seriously, that is just a complete rip off.,

So you have inside information on the cost of making one of these and equipping it with sound? It would be interesting to see what cost information you have.

The base loco price is circa £200 so that's about £130 for sound. It includes the speaker, the chip and the labour for fitting it plus something to cover any warranty issues and hopefully a bit of profit. Sound chips cost virtually nothing to make so why are they so expensive? The answer is that, in order to make the sounds work correctly, someone has to collect recordings of the real thing and break it down onto base components of sound and then  a skilled programmer has to write thousands of lines of code, test it, modify it and test it again. That's thousands of pounds worth of of work to be amortised over the number of sound chips sold.
And just as an aside, the best quality G scale sound chips cost £240, just for the chip!
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: February 09, 2020, 11:07:58 AM »
Yet the full RRP for the Farish sound equipped Stanier 8F is £254.95. Sorry, but £330 is somewhat steep in comparison.

Offline leachsprite4

• Awards
« Reply #171 on: February 09, 2020, 11:39:10 AM »
While hattons may say march the Dapol catalogue says late 2020. 

To me March is not late 2020 unless we are using late in the financial year 19/20, but I guess not as nothing has been seen/heard in public since the announcement it was back on 18months ago.

For added detail the original re announcement on their website said early 2020, below, which two months to add online after the announcement on 1 October at the open day.

https://www.dapol.co.uk/2018-archive/December%202018/Dapol-Battle-of-Britain-%20West-Country-Class

There has been nothing since on the project and by chance I noticed the catalogue had changed on line.

Offline GWR-Kris

• Awards
« Reply #172 on: February 09, 2020, 11:45:11 AM »
Around £170 for the base loco, so that £160 just to have factory sound, and like already has been mentioned compared to Farish I stand by my statement.

Offline Skyline2uk

• Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #173 on: February 09, 2020, 12:23:45 PM »
My prime interest in this loco is that, using Dapol terminology, it is ďin the pipeĒ before the alleged N gauge class 59.

I do wish Dapol would drop the pipeline entirely and follow Bachmann: If itís not coming within 3 months donít talk about it. This of course brings other issues but personally I prefer it over loosing all credibility when it comes to timescales.

Thatís a bit rantish from my sofa, sorry... :doh:

Skyline2uk

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: February 09, 2020, 12:44:38 PM »
Around £170 for the base loco, so that £160 just to have factory sound, and like already has been mentioned compared to Farish I stand by my statement.

The base loco price is currently shown as £199.95 dcc ready and £330 with sound which is quite a hefty £130 extra. You could always buy a base model without sound and fit it yourself or pay someone else to fit the chip. Some some chips are as low as £80, Locoman sounds are £118 to £137 depending on options so I don't think you are paying a lot for having it factory fitted rather than fitting it yourself. The Farish 8F has a smaller price differential of only £90 on RRP (£254.95-£164.95). We know that Dapol fit the sound chips  into the locos at their factory in Wales which involves paying UK wage rates for this job. I suspect Farish take advantage of Kadar being able to  fit the sound chips in China at Chinese pay rates. Also Kadar will be using a lot of sound chips on their USA locos and will be able to get a better unit price on sound chips; hey might even make them in their factory.

So far as I can see the price difference seems understandable, albeit somewhat unwelcome.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #175 on: February 09, 2020, 12:51:38 PM »
Worth a reality check here, we haven't even seen a CAD of this model yet so I would think it highly unlikely that tooling is anywhere near and based on that, I would predict that this loco, assuming work is actually being done on it is at least 18 months away.

I would be delighted to be proved wrong, but somehow doubt I will be.

Roy

Online Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #176 on: February 09, 2020, 12:58:24 PM »
Worth a reality check here, we haven't even seen a CAD of this model yet so I would think it highly unlikely that tooling is anywhere near and based on that, I would predict that this loco, assuming work is actually being done on it is at least 18 months away.

I would be delighted to be proved wrong, but somehow doubt I will be.

Roy

There were CADs early on before it was suspended, however I hope they have been improved and updated.  they also predated the planned change of motor type.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #177 on: February 09, 2020, 01:08:17 PM »
Sorry, I meant new CADs post the ditching of the "Super Cr*p" motor in the tender.

Roy

Offline Karhedron

• N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #178 on: February 10, 2020, 02:58:42 PM »
There were CADs early on before it was suspended, however I hope they have been improved and updated.  they also predated the planned change of motor type.

I can confirm that those CADs are no longer valid. They have either been reworked or simply redone from the ground up.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Fardap

• N Gauge Society Number: 26027
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #179 on: February 10, 2020, 03:28:56 PM »

The base loco price is currently shown as £199.95 dcc ready and £330 with sound which is quite a hefty £130 extra. You could always buy a base model without sound and fit it yourself or pay someone else to fit the chip.

So far as I can see the price difference seems understandable, albeit somewhat unwelcome.

Exactly what you are paying for, chip and someone to fit - DIY a Loksound 5 Micro will cost around £100 and then £30 of your time or someones time to fit it...

I think I remember though that are these not super detailed, die cast chassis and other improvements hence the higher potential price compared to GF? Not that a price has any meaning to something that is currently a twinkle in Mr Dapol's eye...

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
April Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal