!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Hall  (Read 25457 times)

Offline JayM481

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28771
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Hall
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2019, 01:53:49 AM »
I haven't checked my other Dapol "DCC-ready" locos yet, but I'll be doing so. I tried to buy a couple of Digitrax DZ126s today and the shop was out, plus I discovered Digitrax's factory and entire stock was wiped out by a hurricane a few months ago, so existing stocks are running out. I wonder how Gaugemaster's stock is?

Looks like I'll be ordering a few CT decoders. I may have to add a few more after I check my locos for sizing.

Online longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2019, 12:25:57 PM »
Hattons and Rails have opened order books for four new Dapol Hall versions including BR lined Black, due 2Q 2019.

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2019, 01:17:26 PM »
Much though I'd like a Hall, reviews in many threads have failed to convince me Dapol have produced a good model. here's a more recent thread where at least the wheel colours are correct.

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12205.0

Online longbow

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2019, 10:03:30 PM »
AFAIK all the issues with early versions - wheels, lining errors - were corrected in previous batches and in my experience the Hall is a good runner. Perhaps this batch will get a NEM651 DCC socket, which would simplify decoder fitting.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2019, 08:58:33 PM »
Brilliant loco Mick, I've got 4 of them, all fitted with sound and lights and they are all great runners, you just have to be careful on how you pick them up.  Motion and drive shaft are the usual problems caused by clumsy handling.

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2019, 09:38:17 AM »
AFAIK all the issues with early versions - wheels, lining errors - were corrected in previous batches and in my experience the Hall is a good runner. Perhaps this batch will get a NEM651 DCC socket, which would simplify decoder fitting.

Agreed, they are nice locos. The first batch had some livery errors but the 2nd and subsequent batches are all correct as far as I am aware. It will be interesting to see if they have got the firebox right with no lining on Moreton Hall as this is only the 2nd one they have done in BR black livery.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2019, 09:53:39 AM »
Brilliant loco Mick, I've got 4 of them, all fitted with sound and lights and they are all great runners, you just have to be careful on how you pick them up.  Motion and drive shaft are the usual problems caused by clumsy handling.

Problem is @Caz I have so much on pre order loco and rolling stock wise. I may have to wait until I get more birthday/Christmas vouchers and hope there are still some left

Offline JayM481

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2019, 01:12:33 AM »
Finally got a selection of decoders to try. Fitted the CT Elektronik DCX76 which is a very thin decoder with components only on one side. It fits perfectly into the later version Hall (in my case Lanelay Hall), and is the same square dimensions as the blanking plug, and almost as thin.

With the decoder on DCC the loco runs slowly, and has a very pronounced hum. On DC without the decoder installed it's one of the best-running Dapol locos I have, but it won't run at all on DC with this decoder (I know I probably need to change a CV to allow DC running, though I don't plan to run it on DC). Is the hum and poor perfrmance decoder setup-related, or would it improve if I removed some of the DC running components like the capacitors? I've seen some info on both approaches in various places, but my Google-fu is failing me tonight.

Online longbow

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2019, 01:31:24 AM »
Try Nigel Cliffe's excellent 2mm decoder tuning tutorial

http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/CT-decoders.htm

Offline JayM481

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2019, 01:44:56 AM »
Thank you! That was one of the articles I remember seeing, but I forgot too much info to find it in a search. Bookmarked now.

Online longbow

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2019, 11:36:42 AM »
The latest Dapol Hall versions (2S-101-004 through 007) are now in stock at Hattons. Look forward to pics and news of any mods from the previous run.

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2019, 07:33:55 PM »

Agreed, they are nice locos. The first batch had some livery errors but the 2nd and subsequent batches are all correct as far as I am aware. It will be interesting to see if they have got the firebox right with no lining on Moreton Hall as this is only the 2nd one they have done in BR black livery.

Do you know what was wrong with the first BR lined black one. I have this model and apart from the driving wheels (fixed) and the odd white lining (same with their Schools loco - too bright), is there anything else that is out of kilter.
All my Halls (and my Grange with the Hall tender) run superbly. Its the newer designed Manor tender that they put on early BR Granges too that is pants for free running and pickup.

Best
Bob

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2019, 09:28:15 PM »

Do you know what was wrong with the first BR lined black one. I have this model and apart from the driving wheels (fixed) and the odd white lining (same with their Schools loco - too bright), is there anything else that is out of kilter.
All my Halls (and my Grange with the Hall tender) run superbly. Its the newer designed Manor tender that they put on early BR Granges too that is pants for free running and pickup.

There were a couple of errors. There was a Blue route indicator circle on the cab. In reality the Halls were Red route locos and the other variants all have red circles. Secondly the firebox is lined which is incorrect for BR days. Thirdly they picked a loco which had a fire-iron tunnel fitted from new. Dapol have modeled the earlier Halls with no tunnels so are only correct for locos up to somewhere in the 59xx series.

The early crest logo on the tender is also much too small, kit should be quite a bit larger. If you are being really pedantic I believe the smokebox numberplate is in the wrong font but that one really is for perfectionists. ;)
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2019, 09:30:52 PM »
Dapol seem to have a bit of a blind spot with GWR route indicators. They have also given the Granges blue circles whereas in reality they were red route locos and marked accordingly.

Online longbow

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2019, 12:28:43 AM »
The early Halls had the decoder socket mounted horizontally whilst on later versions it was mounted at an angle, allowing a Zimo MX622N to be squeezed in.

Just seen a pic of the new early BR version - Dapol have corrected the boiler lining but not the RA logos or the too-small crest.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 12:45:51 AM by longbow »

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £69.00
Below Goal: £31.00
Site Currency: GBP
69% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything