!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Modellbahn Union black A4  (Read 5914 times)

Offline Mr Sprue

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
Re: Modellbahn Union black A4
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 01:21:02 PM »
They just paid me.

Perhaps they must have been following this thread.  :uneasy:

If I recall correctly a similar thing happened to Dr Al whom was sorted on the eleventh hour also! So maybe airing complaints on public forums can be good thing after all.

Offline Elvinley

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 01:48:08 PM »
It is a good thing but people like MBU don't like it and have said as much to me. I am not happy with the way they have dealt with this. The reason I went for a refund rather than repair was because I felt they had been pretty rude in their response to me when I had two of their locos fall apart on me. There has been no apology for all the hassle.

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 02:00:46 PM »
It is a good thing but people like MBU don't like it and have said as much to me.

I'm no trying to defend MBU's actions on your situation, but in general I can understand why a retailer wouldn't like it as it becomes difficult/impossible for them to actually solve a problem if all that happens is someone complains on a random forum. For a start there is no guarantee that the retailer actually knows the problem exists at that point, let alone has the chance to remedy it.

Offline Norfolkrover

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 02:37:42 PM »
I think most folk on here are fair and open minded and likely to post about good service as well as bad. I assume mb are german and used to dealing with continental models so are perhaps understandably dont believe the number of reliability complaints from uk customers about uk models. Be interesting to see if they commision anymore uk models.

Offline Mr Sprue

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 09:50:15 PM »
Just out of interest has anyone here had a loco repaired under warranty via MBU yet?  :hmmm:

Offline jlineton

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 09:59:18 PM »
i had a wartime black mallard repaired. i sent it direct to DCC supplies, which was fine as they are MB's UK retailer i believe.

Offline Shiney Sheff

• N Gauge Society Number: 23792
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 05:05:51 PM »
I too bought from MBU via a certain auction site.

I got 2 wartime black Mallards and 2 Flying Scotsman in express blue, the loco's arrived very quickly which is a credit to MBU but I'm afraid it all went down hill after that.

One Mallard wouldn't go round 2nd radius curves without de-railing and the other literally caught fire after about 10 minutes running, both Flying scotsman loco's would not run smooth at all and both tenders kept jumping off the tracks at various places.

I contacted MBU and they were very quick and professional in so far as it was arranged via DCC to have them repaired, a week later I got an email from DCC saying all 4 loco's were not worth repairing and were scrap. needless to say MBU were very quick to give me my money back, including postage costs, so my conclusion is MBU is a company I would certainly deal with again, Dapol steamers on the other hand is a totally different story.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 05:19:25 PM »
I too bought from MBU via a certain auction site.

I got 2 wartime black Mallards and 2 Flying Scotsman in express blue, the loco's arrived very quickly which is a credit to MBU but I'm afraid it all went down hill after that.

One Mallard wouldn't go round 2nd radius curves without de-railing and the other literally caught fire after about 10 minutes running, both Flying scotsman loco's would not run smooth at all and both tenders kept jumping off the tracks at various places.

I contacted MBU and they were very quick and professional in so far as it was arranged via DCC to have them repaired, a week later I got an email from DCC saying all 4 loco's were not worth repairing and were scrap. needless to say MBU were very quick to give me my money back, including postage costs, so my conclusion is MBU is a company I would certainly deal with again, Dapol steamers on the other hand is a totally different story.

Given these are a run of either 125 or 250 models (?)  this does rather imply that the claims that are sometimes made of ~1% returns or whatever are garbage - that's already 4 out of the A4s reported as failures just on this list.

If I were MBU I'd be a bit put out that the quality of the product they are getting from Dapol isn't great....

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 05:25:18 PM »
Incidentally, of my two A3s both are fine.

One needed adjustment to the tender weight which was rubbing on the axles, so maybe this could be classed as a failure.

Both have been lubricated cleaned, run in and work very well now - much better than the first batch Dapol A3s which all needed additional pickups and tender weights added to get any decent performance. Does make me wonder if that was due to some poor quality materials used in the wheels.

So positive in this respect!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 06:14:50 PM »
If the runs are so small I wonder how many have been bought by collectors and will never get put on a track?

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 08:33:57 PM »
I would be the first to give praise where it's due and I actually own a first batch of the Dapol A3 which I have experienced no issues with (as yet!!) however I was totally disgusted with Dapol after reading that 4 loco's bought by one gentlemen were deemed fit only for scrap after one in particular caught fire!!

Now before anyone blames me of being anti Dapol, I would just like to point out I bought a silver class 67 from MBU at TINGS and iam very happy with it, and as pointed out I own a first batch A3 with no issues which I have praised elsewhere on the forum.....

I have read now that several different members with no connections to each other have all experienced issues. Even the people who have bought a special A4 or A3 from Dapol via MBU have had to tinker in some way to get them to run properly.(I deem this a QC failure)

Im not being funny but for £100+ per model the quality control should be second to none. I also feel sorry for MBU who will no doubt not be doing any repeat business with Dapol after the issues they have had with displeased customers all about quality control.

It seems to me that instead of hiring two new managers to replace Dave Jones, Dapol should in fact hire a new quality control manager and send him/her to China as their recent steamers are clearly an embarrassment to British N gauge at this present time........
Just to remind Dapol, I bought a new KATO steamer from Japan recently. Loco + postage to the UK was £110. This loco runs like a dream, why can they not offer this level of quality??

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 08:49:02 PM »
Just to remind Dapol, I bought a new KATO steamer from Japan recently. Loco + postage to the UK was £110. This loco runs like a dream, why can they not offer this level of quality??

Not a useful comparison - Kato serves a much much bigger market with far larger volume, and volume is a major part of plastic moulding pricing.

It would be good if Dapol models were more relaible but pointing at Kato isn't the whole story.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline OwL

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 09:01:21 PM »

Not a useful comparison - Kato serves a much much bigger market with far larger volume, and volume is a major part of plastic moulding pricing.

It would be good if Dapol models were more relaible but pointing at Kato isn't the whole story.

Alan

Fair comment Alan, but surely a good comparison?, as you have pointed out KATO serve a bigger market. This means they make more models than Dapol albeit to a better standard with less quality control issues? Dapol make less models to a smaller market yet have failures that would I would deem as dangerous (in regards to the model that caught fire :o)

Why is this so?

Like you say it would be good if Dapol were on par with KATO but they are failing to even make SAFE models let alone models free of failing components. I think Dapol plastic is a s good as KATO, its just their mechanisms that are really starting to unnerve people into not spending :(

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 09:09:57 PM »
Fair comment Alan, but surely a good comparison?, as you have pointed out KATO serve a bigger market. This means they make more models than Dapol albeit to a better standard with less quality control issues?

- Kato make lots more of the same model so their cost per model is lower (or to look at it the other way around they can spend more per model making them at the price the market will bear). If your tooling costs $30,000 and you sell 1000 then it costs you $30/unit just to cover tooling. If you sell 10,000 it costs you $3/unit to cover the tooling. Volume is king.

- Kato have more clout with their suppliers (as well as being nearer them). They are bigger and they are more important

- Kato can buy/manufacture components in bulk in ways and volumes that small companies can't

- Kato can invest in machinery which isn't cost effective at lower volumes

It all has a huge cumulative effect on what can be achieved for the price.

Not to say there are not elements of the Japanese designs that can't be (and in some cases have been) incorporated into UK models. Some kinds of smart design translate to low volumes.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline OwL

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2013, 09:18:51 PM »
Totally agree with you Alan :thumbsup:

KATO comparisons aside, It doesn't escape from the fact that Dapol have a responsibility to ensure their models are passing basic QC tests and not arriving at the customer's door steps with mechanisms that are deemed by their own appointed service dealers as 'fit for scrap' on four separate locos!! :o

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal