New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Fisherlea  (Read 22967 times)

Offline gc4946

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5936
    • Awards
Re: Fisherlea
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2014, 05:14:22 PM »
I'm pretending the Somerset & Dorset lines stayed open :) and some Virgin Cross Country HSTs were routed that way - this is why I own Wales & West, Wessex and FGW stock as well.

Under my scenario, the HSTs would run via Highbridge and Glastonbury along the Somerset Levels.
However the sound and sight of them would be awesome if they climbed up the 1:49 from Bath (Green Park) towards Midford! :claphappy:

"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2014, 07:17:09 PM »
I went to the Sheffield model rail show today and came back with a dummy Farish Regional Railways 158 and two spare Farish 101 centre car bodies in NSE livery.

Once I got home I quickly modified one of the 158 bodyshells to take the later Chinese made flywheel drive unit, this is my fourth such conversion to date.

The RR liveried unit is far more useful for work on Fisherlea, as it's numbered in the series allocated new to RR South West & Wales in 1991. It may get some very light weathering, but probably not as much as Farish's forthcoming RR 158 might have received.

However I pinched the motorised chassis from my Transpennine 158, but will keep it as a dummy so I have a model record of the former Northern Spirit's purple/gold livery, alongside its counterpart in turquoise/green, a class 156 (Dapol)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2014, 07:23:21 PM »
Very nice; I remember the Class 158s when they were new when I was living in Manchester. What will you use the two spare Farish 101 centre car bodies in NSE livery for? I thought the later (darker blue) NSE livery was very attractive as was the Provincial Railways and InterCity liveries of the period. I cannot say I'm very impressed with the current liveries on British railways.

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2014, 07:38:18 PM »
I quite fondly remember the NSE 101 3-car units in particular, I always passed at least one of these DMUs at Guildford whilst travelling between Portsmouth and London, and when I lived in London for a while, they turned up on Paddington services at well.

One of the centre car bodysides on my 3-car NSE units is bulging badly and I've tried straightening it out with some success but isn't a long-term solution.
They are very difficult to get hold of, moreover Farish aren't planning to release any class 101 3-car units in NSE livery in the foreseeable future, so it's a case of getting hold of spares whenever I can.

The other centre car bodyshell will be held back for long-term possible fitting onto a newer 101 chassis as a sandwich between blue/grey DMU carriages.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2014, 08:12:36 PM »
Thanks; sounds like an excellent plan. I have a later model Class 101 unit in BR Green livery which I just about remember in real life c. 1967. I also remember the NSE Class 101s on the WR and SR.

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2015, 04:10:10 PM »
I haven't given up on this project ...!

This is my latest progress:

- completed all the pavements and level crossing approach ramps, however the infills between the rails will need checking and trimming to fit;
- gave all bare card surfaces one coat of acrylics, but will paint extra layers on to hide the card base colours, and refine the shades of tarmac and road surfaces for the different functions such as car parks and hardstanding.

These actions have began to transform the layout.

Finally, after naming the Italian-styled upmarket restaurant as Camilleri's Ristorante, the main thoroughfare (in lighter grey) will be called South Grayton Road.

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2015, 04:58:33 PM »
Even though a lot more work needs to be done, I've posed a typical late 1970s/early 1980s streetscene.

The Southdown Leyland Atlantean on route X16 to Southsea speeds along South Grayton Road on the outskirts of Portsmouth amongst a selection of cars, a few of which are parked up at Camilleri's Ristorante.

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2015, 09:52:08 AM »
Work is continuing to refine the differing road surfaces - I mixed a pot of Tamiya acrylics specifically to represent concrete.

I'm trying to represent roads and hardstanding in various shades, it's made easier by the fact I've used a lot of card, which allowed differentiation between the various road surface colours clearly where sheets of card join.

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2015, 10:51:42 AM »
Here's the comparative footprints of both my proposed Art Deco office block and four light industrial units:

I'm considering, as an interim measure, whether to model four flat-roofed, single-storey light industrial units or model the Art Deco office block as originally intended.

Surplus Kestrel Models platform sections will be used to represent the felt roofing and the units will resemble brick-built types.
The main advantage doing it that way is that I can produce four identical structures quickly.
The other big thing is that I can name each of these factory/office units after fellow schoolmates who I knew - I've plenty of ideas on these!
Devine Inspirations, AK's FotoWorld, Goodall & Hillyer Computing Services are ideas already under consideration ...

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2015, 11:37:18 AM »
I'm pretending the Somerset & Dorset lines stayed open :) and some Virgin Cross Country HSTs were routed that way - this is why I own Wales & West, Wessex and FGW stock as well.

Under my scenario, the HSTs would run via Highbridge and Glastonbury along the Somerset Levels.
However the sound and sight of them would be awesome if they climbed up the 1:49 from Bath (Green Park) towards Midford! :claphappy:

I'm also pretending that the Somerset & Dorset lines stayed open so that Cornwall can be supplied with best Somerset steam coal and cider with 'Castle Estates' produce being supplied to Somerset! 8-)

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2015, 06:30:30 PM »
This afternoon, I've started building four light industrial factories/workshops/offices, using plasticard, Evergreen strip, and Kestrel platform sections for the roofs.

The clear pieces on top of the roofs will be glazing to fit behind the large openings and the structures will include representations of fire exits and roller shutters/doors to their storage areas.

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2015, 08:10:20 PM »
This'll be my last update today ...

I've placed the part-completed buildings on the board to see how they fit into the scene.

roadside

railside

I must admit they're not as impressive as my Art Deco office block would have appeared in the same location.

However I may cut away some greenery elsewhere in order so these factory units can be accommodated somewhere ...

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2015, 04:45:23 PM »
Change of plan - these structures looked better as part of a small, partly rail connected industrial estate. Moreover I had been looking for ideas for buildings on that part of the layout.

So therefore, last night I modified two of the structures to represent rail-connected warehouses.

The warehouse at the far end of the siding (below) has headroom and storage room for one BR short wheelbase van.

The longer warehouse (below) has a loading gauge profile which accepts Continental European wagons - a bogie telescopic roof wagon (Dapol) and a longer covered wagon (Minitrix)

I haven't decided where to locate my two other units - in these images they're only provisional.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 06:04:36 PM by gc4946 »

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2015, 08:09:55 PM »
I've settled on my final design of rail-connected warehousing:

It's meant I've encroached a bit on my green space, but this provides focus for the other side of the board.

The main modification is that the track terminates short of the warehouse door, suggesting partial track abandonment. (below)

The warehouses also hide the siding from the other side of the main road (below)

Enough hardstanding has been provided for mini commercial vehicles to safely manoeuvre around much of the site.
I'll decide on a name for the whole complex, but also name individual warehouses.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2015, 09:33:32 PM »
Neat idea :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31