New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Fisherlea  (Read 22968 times)

Offline scottishlocos

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Fisherlea
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 01:30:22 PM »
Hi

Really like this layout and idea behind it I too am starting a new layout that can represent both blue grey and regional eras. Good luck with this the class 101s look good and the 37 will prove usefull for freight and passenger trains.

Kind regards

Dave

Offline johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 01:46:42 PM »
Neat idea to recycle those boxes into an art deco station building.  Can't wait to see how that turns out.

Offline gc4946

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5936
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 01:55:22 PM »
I designed in a staff halt inspired by IBM station on the Wemyss Bay line

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_railway_station

although the factory's located further away from IBM halt in reality compared with my model.

Haven't chosen the name of the firm yet who will occupy this building although it'll be a multinational company who could have afforded to build an Art Deco-style edifice.
I could even pretend that IBM opened its UK HQ in Portsmouth forty years earlier than when they actually moved there in 1976; during the 30s, the Western Road-Southampton Road areas of the city were open fields with growing suburban housing then.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 03:27:50 PM »
I really, really like the vibe of this layout - different, interesting, and a great idea to use those loco boxes!

Don't make it IBM though!  I had the misfortune to work for a company that was bought by IBM and those eighteen months were the worst five years of my working life!!   :(

Rage Against the Machine!!   :thumbsup:

Cheers  Jon   :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 08:01:40 PM »
Work's started on the office block.

The two long wings based on ex-Farish loco boxes will be the main offices and both will be symmetrical and identical in detail, with the ex-Oxford Diecast box forming the main concourse and reception.

It'll be finished in white resembling a concrete surface that was known in the building trade as Snowcreate a type of concrete "that always will stay looking like new even after the harshest of British weathers" (source) http://www.perivale.co.uk/hoover-building.htm
However my building will have detail features taken from a number of similar white concrete Art Deco structures.
Most of the detail will be built up using Evergreen plastic strip.

One of the long boxes may have a removable top so I can store stuff to help maintain the layout such as track cleaners.

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 11:53:40 AM »
I've made no progress with buildings and scenery but have modelled mini Virgin Cross Country HSTs to go with my Wessex and Wales & West sub-collection.

In my scenario they run Liverpool Lime St-Portsmouth Harbour via WCML, Birmingham, Cheltenham, Bristol TM, and over the Somerset & Dorset which remains open in my mind, via Highbridge, Glastonbury, Evercreech, Bournemouth and then Southampton, Fareham and Portsmouth Harbour.

Rule 1 applies for the insertion of a GNER power car owing to problems with Virgin's own power cars as the unit arrived in Liverpool on a diagram starting from Edinburgh.

I can also call on a Dapol Virgin 2 + 2 HST

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Seriously, a 2 + 2 HST, being shorter fits better in loops and the platform on Fisherlea compared with a 4-car Voyager. Also the power cars, being shorter and 8-wheeled can manage the sharper curves more easily.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2014, 11:58:55 AM »
Very interesting concept!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2014, 07:02:11 PM »
I've rejigged my DMUs so I can now operate two privatisation era periods, 2000-2002 and 2008.

Firstly, a SWT 159, suitable for both periods covered as above.

For 2000-2002, I can call upon Wales & West and Wessex 158s and a Regional Railways 150/2.

For early 2008, I can call upon the St Ives Bay and FGW 153s,
and an Arriva 150/2 of which five were sub-leased to FGW from early that year.

All these were chosen for maximum livery variety when run together within each of the specified eras.

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2014, 08:26:11 PM »
I can now recreate four separate eras on Fisherlea:

1976-77 - BR blue
1988-89 - Sectorisation, Network SouthEast

2000-02 - privatisation after award of first tranche of franchises
2008 - privatisation after award of second tranche of franchises

I need to address how best to deal with buildings and structures to cope with the different eras.
My planned Art Deco office complex now looks like a very shrewd idea after all.

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2014, 12:35:05 PM »
I won't include any dwellings on my layout because it's intended to be somewhere on the outskirts of town and décor and fashion have changed a fair deal between the 1970s and the noughties.

For example, I knew someone whose semi in the 70s had bright yellow wooden door and window frames but looked unfashionable only a few years later.

If I carefully choose my buildings then they could serve all four eras modelled with no modification.

On the other hand I already own buses in NBC green for the 70s and Stagecoach stripes for the late 80s, but will need to model Barbie-liveried First Group vehicles for post-2000 era.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2014, 01:30:31 PM »
I knew someone whose semi in the 70s had bright yellow wooden door

That's a lemon entry, dear Watson :-X

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2014, 03:04:59 PM »
After some retail therapy buying extra DMUs, I've gone back to work on the layout.

I've laid down some pavements cut up from a unwanted cardboard box. Some of the work was challenging because I had to cut several pieces of curved pavement and some more car parking areas bits at strange angles.

Not all the pavements are laid yet as I'll need to make up some level crossing ramps.
They'll be made from card, but will need a fair amount of trimming and patience to fit alongside the rails as the track curves over the roads.

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2014, 04:42:07 PM »
After some retail therapy buying extra DMUs

A treatment only surpassed by buying extra EMUs :thumbsup:

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2014, 09:37:23 AM »
This shows where I store my layout when not in use, in my spare room.
Every time I want to run any trains or do any work involving the baseboard, I have to transport it to/from my living room.

Therefore I haven't added details that could be damaged whilst in transit. I'll probably fix down the platform and some smaller buildings on the board but other structures may be removable.

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2014, 09:22:48 PM »
My Wales & West 158 unit was bought as a pair of bodyshells and made into a dummy unit. I wanted to motorise it with the later split-frame chassis as for maintenance purposes I prefer to standardise on them rather than the Poole-designed spring-drive shaft chassis.

It was one of a batch of these 158s produced about 2001 not long after Bachmann's purchase of Farish and appeared with an improved UK Farish spring-drive shaft chassis.
(BTW the Arriva Transpennine and First North Western 158s also had the same chassis)

However if the later chassis is attached to this batch of 158s, it makes the body sit 1mm higher so I carefully cut out the middle reinforcing clear plastic body section to bring it down to its correct height and glued the roof on for reinforcement.

Now I can wait for a suitable 158 to do a body and chassis swap.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything