!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Peanut Valley  (Read 16769 times)

Offline ChrisB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23021
    • Awards
Re: PeanutValley
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2013, 08:30:32 PM »
Ok, so incline has been totally re-worked and now starts before top curve (See diagram in Tom@Crewe's post)
This is a lot better - thanks for suggestions guys.

Lower section

Mid section

Upper section

Offline ChrisB

• Awards
Re: Peanut Valley
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2013, 08:50:46 PM »
First video of a run round from the outer loop to the inner.
(Please ignore the last 10 seconds - some doofus forgot to switch the points over  :doh:)

http://youtu.be/DO9zPajO7Hs

Offline Geoff

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2013, 09:20:21 PM »
First video of a run round from the outer loop to the inner.
(Please ignore the last 10 seconds - some doofus forgot to switch the points over  :doh:)

http://youtu.be/DO9zPajO7Hs

I just noticed a transformer and then noticed the powercab, are you using both to power your track if so how did you do it, or is the transformer a red herring?
Geoff

Offline Badger76

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2013, 09:28:46 PM »
Great looking layout!  :thumbsup:
" If in doubt flat out! "

Offline ChrisB

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2013, 09:48:24 PM »
I just noticed a transformer and then noticed the powercab, are you using both to power your track if so how did you do it, or is the transformer a red herring?

The power transformer is separate to the powercab. I used it on my last layout to power the CDU and LED's etc.
The circuit hanging off it is to convert 12v ac to 12v dc

I'm going to use it to power the servos for the points using this MERG unit. Plus as it has two 12v outputs it can be used for lighting and other things

Offline ChrisB

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2013, 09:47:55 PM »
Little bit of progress:
Track is now all laid and fully functional (excluding industrial area sidings). Hence reason for no recent postings - I've been playing  :)
I have a class 37 which has been playing up but gave it a quick service and it's behaving now. So she's pulling the crimson and reds. The class 03 is back on haulage duty.
Plus the MERG servo controller is also working and programmed so I need to connect it up to some points. That's the next job (if I can stop playing  :) )

Offline ChrisB

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2013, 11:28:48 PM »
Ok, so I thought I'd start work on the station area.
The main area was first laid out using some thick card. This was to get the overall shape and size and would then be used as the top layer of the platform. The mainline platform will take 6 carriages (I only have 5 at the moment)

Started work on building the side walls and underlying structure. This was done using the downloadable Platform kit (R008) from scale scenes and then bashed together. Most enjoyable.
Rear part of train and platform

Front section here. The station house is Metcalfe kit PN109

This shows the top covering after just being applied. Needs trimming and weathering but will look fine once finished and in place

That's about it for now. Need to concentrate on completing the main platform area now. More to follow soon.

Offline ChrisB

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2013, 01:24:39 PM »
Taking daughter back and forth to uni a few times really eats into railway time.  :( Feels like a full scale shunting operation sometimes
Still, a little more progress on the main station.
It's now fully built and covered. Needs some touching up and fixing in place but it's getting there. Important bit is that none of the carriages snag on the platform.

This gives the overall view of the station area. You can just make out on the base in the background where I've started to mark out roads etc.

(Yes the station changes colour. Obviously that's by design and not because the printer started to run out of ink! The lighter bit (under booking hall) is the new station area added later on so the flag-stones are going to be newer  :)  I'm not convincing anyone am I)

A lower view showing class 37 waiting for the off

Before fixing I need to drill a few holes to allow for some micro LEDs to be placed in the booking hall.  Ones for platform lights can wait.

Offline ChrisB

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2013, 01:41:02 PM »
This should give you a better idea of how the station approach roads will be done

Offline ChrisB

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2013, 07:13:58 PM »
Managed to get a few LED's (with built in resistors) that I can run straight off 12v. These will be used for shops & building and station lights.
Plugged 2 in to the main station - Seem quite white so may get some yellow glass paint just to tone it down a bit.

Also started to ballast the station area and weather the bridge and tunnel.

I'm sure the ballast looked a lot better before I glued it, but hoping it will look ok once dry.

Not too happy with the smoke weathering on the bridge. Will have to work on that a bit more.

Quite like the tunnel entrance though. The weathering has come out nice (unlike the weather!)

That's all for now. Hoping to do more scenery but I always end up 'playing with the trains'   :)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2013, 09:33:50 AM »
Hoping to do more scenery but I always end up 'playing with the trains'   :)

An affliction many of us suffer from :-[ ;)
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Offline ChrisB

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2013, 11:11:33 PM »
Not had a chance to do too much lately but here's a quick update.

Ballasting continues. I actually find it quite theraputic really - that's not an open invitation  :no: - just quite satisying.
Have also given the areas to the side of the tracks a coat of brown paint. Well it's supposed to be brown but looks more terracotta than anything. Will have to darken it. This is a base layer before the scatter goes down so I can rub away patches to show 'mud'.
An overall view of the layout

And one of the road bridge over the tracks by the station

It's a standard tunnel entrance but with polystyrene sandwiched between.

Also, inspired by Shauns excellent work on point rodding (http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=16019.msg174488#msg174488) I thought I have a go myself.
Except that as I'm using servos to control the points I'm going to make these actually work.

As a proof of concept, I started with some 1.5mm piano wire which I slid (accompanied with a lot of swearing and bits twanging off left right and centre) under the track and hooked into the point slide bar. I reckon I could get away with 1mm as it's quite stiff still and I may switch to this later but I only had 1.5mm to hand.
I made an 'L' shaped piece to change direction out of some aluminium and this is held in place with a track pin. Seems to work quite well so far so I think this is a goer.

The rods will eventually disappear beneath the signalbox and then through the base board where the servos will be located.

That's about it for now. More to follow when I get the 1st point rod finished and working

Chris

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2013, 07:26:45 AM »
Ballasting continues. I actually find it quite theraputic really - that's not an open invitation  :no: - just quite satisying.

At last! Someone else apart from me admits to actually enjoying ballasting :claphappy:

Good work on the functioning point-rodding :thumbsup:

Paul
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 07:43:39 AM by Sprintex »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2013, 10:43:07 AM »
Functional point rodding will be soooo impressive.
Keep us posted with results please :thumbsup:

Offline moogle

• N Gauge Society Number: 5694
  • Mad as a hatter and proud!
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2013, 02:08:20 PM »
I agree, impressive!
Neat looking station  :thumbsup:
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £66.00
Below Goal: £34.00
Site Currency: GBP
66% 
October Donations

Advertise Here