!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Woodgate Junction  (Read 3128 times)

Offline 60156 Great Central

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Woodgate Junction
« on: August 28, 2013, 12:45:11 AM »
Hello one and all,

At the tender old age of 23 I shall soon be commencing work on my first ever layout 'Woodgate Junction' set on the ECML from the end of the LNER through to the end of steam.

Rule 1 will occasionally come into play with a 28XX and 57XX as well as a 14XX I already own. But on the whole I will try and stick to prototypical locos and stock  :-[ yeah lets see how long that lasts  :laugh3:

I have my track plan and I am afraid that is the only picture I can provide for now unless anyone wants to see my Graham Farish model of 60156 'Great Central' at the head of 5 Chocolate and cream Mk.1's?

Thinking about the DCC route I have a controller from the OO left still and would like the smooth running and ease of shunting yard/shed operating but will be interested to hear peoples thoughts on that

I shall be using Peco track on this layout and look forward to getting under-way at last - I have a wardrobe in the way currently so need to get rid of the thing should be fun  >:D

Christopher

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
Re: Woodgate Junction
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 05:00:59 AM »
Nice plan with lots of interest :thumbsup:

One small concern if you're going to be running big kettles is that point at the left end of the station on the inner loop. Having it right after the curve may lead to pony trucks derailing, it's usually better to have a small straight between the curve exit and the point to allow the pony truck to straighten up first ;)

Paul

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 10:02:28 PM »
I can second what Sprintex said. Also, current advice seems to be that you shouldn't use OO controllers for the latest N stock. Apparently it's not good for their innards. A specific N Gauge controller seems to be the order of the day, such as the Morley offerings  :)

http://www.morleycontrollers.com/Details.asp?ProductID=88

By all means include pics of your locos, though. The motto should always be  :photospleasesign:

Peter

Offline Sprintex

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 10:59:45 PM »
Doesn't apply to DCC controllers ;)

Thinking about the DCC route I have a controller from the OO left still and would like the smooth running and ease of shunting yard/shed operating but will be interested to hear peoples thoughts on that

Paul

Offline 60156 Great Central

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 11:43:03 PM »
 :thankyousign: right will look at a bit of a redesign with a little straight before the point - though with trains passing at speed only going through the centre lines will it still be an issue?

right a few quickly taken pictures sorry for the quality

My Graham Farish 4F

My Standard 4MT tank

and my favourite the pride of my collection A1 60156 Great Central

Offline Country Joe

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 12:04:57 AM »
Nice track plan Christopher. I like the steamers a lot. They need a nice layout so they can run.

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 04:56:10 PM »
The track plan looks really great Christopher  8)

Just one small suggestion from me - consider having another bridge at the RH end of the layout rather than tunnels.  The reason I say this is that tunnel mouths right next to stations are relatively uncommon on the real thing (I know, they do exist!) and much over-represented on models.

I am guilty of this too - "Deansmoor" has tunnels as the scenic break at one end!  :doh: - though I didn't make the same mistake on "Lofthole"

All the best

Jon   :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 07:31:41 PM »
Doesn't apply to DCC controllers ;)

Me no hablo DCC  :-[

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 08:18:30 AM »
I can second what Sprintex said. Also, current advice seems to be that you shouldn't use OO controllers for the latest N stock. Apparently it's not good for their innards. A specific N Gauge controller seems to be the order of the day, such as the Morley offerings  :)

http://www.morleycontrollers.com/Details.asp?ProductID=88

By all means include pics of your locos, though. The motto should always be  :photospleasesign:

Peter

I know that Morley have a great reputation but as an alternative option, I use a Gaugemaster Model D twin controller for my DC layout. This is fine and gives me excellent slow speed control.

http://www.gaugemaster.com/controls.html

My Great Central has recently arrived and as you say, super stuff!  :thumbsup:

Dave G

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 09:13:48 AM »
I too am a Gaugemaster man - can't get on with the "centre off"  philosophy of Morley controllers.  :confused1:

Cheers   Jon   :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline Sprintex

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 09:47:41 AM »
Is it me or has everyone missed this bit?

:-\

Paul

Offline Geoff

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 02:36:02 PM »

Paul

No mention of  :ngauge:
Geoff

Offline Country Joe

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 03:40:08 PM »

Paul

DCC is not specific to any scale, though there are proprietary systems by certain manufacturers. The only thing you might need to do is to reduce the track voltage from the approximately 15 volts that HO/OO uses to 12 volts. I don't know if the 15 volts would harm anything in N but it was the advice I received when I started out with DCC. My trains run just fine with the voltage reduced.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 03:48:42 PM »
Should be no need to tweak anything. Its only the big scales O,G etc that turn it up and some Z that needs less.

You really want well over 12 in N as your decoder drops 1.4v or so across the H bridge.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 04:24:21 PM »
You really want well over 12 in N as your decoder drops 1.4v or so across the H bridge.

Alan

Is the H Bridge anywhere near the Dartford Crossing?   :D

You can tell I'm Technical, can't you?  :dunce:

Dave G

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £51.00
Below Goal: £49.00
Site Currency: GBP
51% 
October Donations