!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: First Ever Layout - opinions  (Read 360 times)

castrovalva and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Simon1983

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Instagram
    • Awards
First Ever Layout - opinions
« on: December 09, 2018, 07:31:09 PM »
Hi everyone,
Just wondered whether you experienced members would mind looking at my layout idea (attached). Its made up, not based on anywhere in particular.

Electricaly I know nothing yet and have zero experience - but I think I will use DCC ( if you think its worth it?) with cobalt point motors. Then I can add a few lights here and there when I move on to the scenery too.

Do you think the radius of corners etc. are all OK? Each square represents 1 foot and its all PECO code 80 strack - a mix of streamline and setrack. The points are the electrofrog type but I don't really know where or what insulators I should use and where. I can post a version showing the part numbers of each piece if it helps?
Thanks a lot!
Simon

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: First Ever Layout - opinions
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 09:28:19 PM »
Hi Simon.
The plan looks OK to me although I believe the inner oval curves may be a tight radius for some large steam locos (if you intend to run any). Is there any reason for that short length of straight between the 2 points making up the crossovers as my preference would be for the 2 ovals to be closer to each other without rolling stock hitting themselves as they pass. I can't help with the DCC aspect - sorry.

Offline Simon1983

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 10:30:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I put them short bits of track there because I didn't want to risk things touching as they pass each other. Perhaps it would be ok without?

Hmm, is was steam locos I really wanted, the inner oval is ST-15 at the top and ST- 12 at the bottom. Maybe I should have a rethink and try moving bits

Offline Ditape

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25087
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 12:41:05 AM »
Most steam engines need 2nd radius to work well so ST14/15 is the minimum recommended radius. Go larger if you have the space, using set track the spacing between the two loops will give ample clearance.
Diane Tape

Offline Simon1983

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 11:52:45 AM »
Thanks for your help, I've tweaked it a bit and managed to get all my curves ST-17 now - so quite a bit smoother than before, that should be fine for larger steam locos? The reason for the wide rail spacing at the back is because I want to try modeling an enbankment and tunnel. The incline will be an inch where I will make a higher area but you can only see this around the track on the diagram. (I've put a 3d view attachment here to show what I mean).

I've moved the track slightly closer together, each square represents 1" on the plan. What are your opinions now? Be honest because I want it to look as nice as possible and the layouts I see on here are really good.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 12:07:36 PM »
Those curves look a lot better now. With UK stuff we drive on the left and the outer oval travels in a clockwise direction. You can see, therefore, on the inner oval you'll be driving a loco into/through the goods shed. I would prefer to see the LH point after the short curve entering the goods area turned round 180 degrees so the goods siding/shed runs alongside the inner oval. This would enable you to run a train into the current siding and then reverse the train into the goods shed, much more prototypical. Hope that makes sense as we can't upload pics at present and the only attachments possible are pdfs and I don't have that facility.
Please take your time over the plan and don't be in a rush to get started laying track. To my mind, the plan is the most important part of any layout as, get it wrong, and you'll soon lose interest in it.

Offline Simon1983

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 05:48:55 PM »
Ah I think I understand. I'm away from my PC now until later in the week, if the images begin working on here before then would you mind possibly showing me what you mean?

Regarding gradients, I just wanted to have about half of the layout raised, not much just say an inch for aesthetics. How many inches long would you say I need to make the slope so trains don't struggle?

Offline Ditape

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25087
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 07:11:05 PM »
Ah I think I understand. I'm away from my PC now until later in the week, if the images begin working on here before then would you mind possibly showing me what you mean?

Regarding gradients, I just wanted to have about half of the layout raised, not much just say an inch for aesthetics. How many inches long would you say I need to make the slope so trains don't struggle?

2% gradient will do the job and for 1" rise will be about 4' long.
Diane Tape

Offline stevewalker

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 07:49:45 PM »
... we can't upload pics at present and the only attachments possible are pdfs and I don't have that facility ...

Windows 10 comes with Microsoft Print-to-PDF and, for older versions of Windows, you can download and install CutePDF for free. Either allows your programs to print their normal output to a PDF file, simply by selecting a different printer.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 09:30:31 PM »

@Simon1983

Thanks to @stevewalker I can now create pdfs so have attached a simple schematic of the inner loop goods siding track plan

Offline Simon1983

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 09:57:34 PM »
Thanks for your time doing that. I understand now, the goods building would be on the straight bit to the left so the trains can back the stuff inside?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 09:50:51 AM »
Thanks for your time doing that. I understand now, the goods building would be on the straight bit to the left so the trains can back the stuff inside?

Correct (although you could curve that siding slightly if you wish to) :D I see my pdf has been down loaded 17 times so a few others must have been interested :hmmm:

Offline Simon1983

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 11:28:11 PM »
I think a lot of people must use pdfs people post for guidance. It's a valuable resource this forum because on some for other hobbies there's always someone who gives a snooty reply which puts you off. But that's not the case here.

Yes I think I may curve it a bit but at least I understand now.

Next will be getting my head around electrics but I think thanks to YouTube I have a very basic understanding. And the cobalt motors look fairly easy to wire. Just one silly question - when I drop from the track to the main bus, is there like a maximum distance before you have to do another drop or can it power the whole loop?

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £275.00
Above Goal: £220.00
Site Currency: GBP
500% 
December Donations

Advertise Here