!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Older Minitrix Service/repairs  (Read 10801 times)

Offline BramptonBranch

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Older Minitrix Service/repairs
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2019, 12:32:53 PM »
Hi

I'm not sure if this is still relevant but I recently bought a Minitrix warship as a "brave repair or spares" as it had been in a damp place. The bogies were seized, which I removed and cleaned but alas no movement.
Then after having a word with Dr Al on this great forum it has just returned from his TLC and is now pulling a small rake of maroon Mk 1s around my layout. Really pleased!!

So big thanks to the forum and especially Dr Al!!

Andy

Offline keithhumphries

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2020, 09:29:43 PM »
does anyone know if DR AL still does minitrix repairsas i have a couple which run intermittently any help gratefully recieved

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2020, 10:07:28 PM »
does anyone know if DR AL still does minitrix repairsas i have a couple which run intermittently any help gratefully recieved

@Dr Al
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2020, 11:01:02 PM »
What locos are giving problems?

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline andy911john

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2020, 06:51:06 AM »
I have a Britannia model from my childhood (~47 years old).  Stored in many locations but is now here in California with me.
The ground connection from the tender was never great and caused uneven running.
I took some fine insulated multi strand wire wrapped it around the axle of the tender wheels and passed this through to a ground connection inside the loco (under the screw that holds the valve gear).  The wheels are insulated on one side only and so the wire forms a pretty good connection to the rails.

I admit, it is a bit of a hack but has transformed performance.   (additionally, the mod is completely removable and as such the original state of the loco is retained)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2020, 09:10:09 AM »
The connection through the bogie drawbar to the tender is commonly something that needs attention.

There's a sprung copper washer at the loco end, which helps make a positive electrical contact with the pivoting bogie - this commonly becomes flattened over time and then doesn't make good electrical contact - often re-curving it will solve poor conduction through this area. Cleaning all mating surfaces also helps.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline andy911john

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2020, 02:28:45 AM »
Thanks for the tip.  Couldn't find the washer - the loco is very old.
I also discovered that I did not use the "wrap wire around the axle" method (I think I saw the guy from Everard Junction do that for carriage lighting on HO).
I did however link the ground screw in the tender to the ground screw in the loco - this did work.

Another issue I had was with traversing curves.....14" rad curves which were never a problem when I had my original layout.
I discovered that the tender linkage had got bent and straightened such that is was now kinked and about 1mm shorter than original.
Judicious use of fine nose pliers brought it back to shape and Lo! the Britannia now goes around corners.
I purchased but have yet to fit some fine brass smoke deflector boards to this engine.  They model a refinement to the Britannia class where the handrails obscured the drivers view and were replace with hand and foot hold cutouts.
It's a great loco - runs very well, esp. considering its age.
A

Offline Jfheath

• Maintaining Classic Minitrix
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2020, 01:21:35 PM »
If you lift the tender body - gte your finger nails under the front sides and tere is a release latch where the coal shute is - press this in while prying up with finger nail to lift the front.

The white metal weight in the back can be freed using a similar technique.  Finger nails at each side at the rear, and gently release the catches.  You have to do two at once, but alternating each side and the weight will lift a tad.  Then do the same with the front pair.

Underneath are a couple of  phosphor bronze strips that provide pickup fromt he front and rear axles.  The left hand axles have a strip that presses up onto the underside of the weight.  This gives the electrical contact through the weight, through the screw, through the drawbar and spring to the main chassis. 

Cut out the middle men and solder a length of wire to that strip and feed it through alongside the positive wire to the motor.  Make sure it is a smear of solder, not a blob, otherwise the weight wont clip back in.  If this is a problem, solder on a strip of thin brass sheet, or phosphor bronze, so that you can solder the wire onto that without having to get under the weight in future.

But its working now.  Wait until next time !

nb Very thin wire for this can be obtained from Expo Tools.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal