Can a dog pick up a regional accent?

Started by Adam1701D, August 07, 2013, 01:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam1701D

This is actually a sort of serious question. We have just come back from two weeks in Spain and collected our dogs from the kennels. Both Joey the 14-yr old greyhound and Grappa, our 6-yr old Staffie are fine and in excellent spirits, seeming no worse for their incarceration.  :D

Strange thing is that Grappa's bark has totally changed and is much deeper than previously - think "Hound of the Baskervilles". He likes to bark at passing cars and pedestrians, hanging his head out the front room window for effect. It was really strange to say the least

Has anyone else experienced a big change in their dog's bark after putting them in kennels? Has Grappa picked up an accent from being put next to a bigger dog or is he possesed by a demon?  :confused1:
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Mike W

Not quite the same, but our cat always sounds different when we pick him up from the cattery; he goes back to normal within a week or 2, though.

Kipper

Both cats and dogs I have owned have come back from kennels sounding odd. Discussed this once with kennel owner, and told that those who bark a lot (dogs) or miaow (cats), all the time they are there, do get hoarse - not surprising really. Current dog just sleeps all the time, so no change in bark!

Mike W

Interesting, thanks. Our cat is pretty loud (when he isn't sleeping) so that makes sense.

Adam1701D

Actually, that makes a lot of sense. The kennel owners told me that Grappa was pining for the first couple of days and making a lot of heartbreakingly pathetic noises! Staffies are very vocal dogs and Grappa is no exception  ;D
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Alex

Hi,

Very interesting.

Always wondered if a German dog would understand a Scottish dog, or would they bark in a foreign accent? Would dogs need a phrase book?

Alex

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Alex on August 07, 2013, 07:50:51 PM
Always wondered if a German dog would understand a Scottish dog, or would they bark in a foreign accent? Would dogs need a phrase book?

When travelling the consult the Ruff Guide

Seriously its an interesting question. You certainly get dogs that do foreign languages. A welsh trained dog won't understand "sit" for example.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Alex

Now where can I get a grant to spend 5 years studying the languages of dogs. :D

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Alex on August 07, 2013, 08:14:24 PM
Now where can I get a grant to spend 5 years studying the languages of dogs. :D

You can do a PhD on it if you've got the background 8) They are still trying to definitively work out if dog barks include specific codes for different types of other animal (ie words of sorts)

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%