!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Diesels Poor build quality  (Read 16905 times)

Offline jpendle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Diesels Poor build quality
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2019, 08:41:01 PM »
It is very easy to damage the wires on certain Dapol loco's when removing the body to add a chip. I have at least 2 CL86's with broken lighting circuits, most of which are due to wires coming loose or breaking when adding chips.

The CL68 by contrast has a different design and is easier to deal with.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2019, 09:35:50 PM »
I, too, have 13 Dapol diesels but have had no light failures. Lots of flicker now and then but that usually means the track needs a clean :-[ Don't get me started on noise, though :no:

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2019, 10:32:23 PM »
With my Dapol diesels I couldnít tell you which ones have working lights and which ones donít. On my 1960s era layout I think locos look more realistic without any lighting. If you look at preserved diesels in use you canít really see the lights during daylight hours. If something on the pcb gets too hot it will smoke and smell. That would be a good time to stop. In fact if the wires get very hot the plastic will melt causing the bare wires to touch which will create a direct short and everything will stop.

The most spectacular pcb fail I have had was on a G scale loco. There was suddenly huge amounts of smoke billowing out of every hole in the body. I did wonder for a couple of seconds if it might catch fire but it didnít. It was quite a worrying moment because the garden railway power supply is 24 volts and up to 20 amps. Got a new pcb from the manufacturers under warranty and fitted it myself and everything has been fine since. In my experience N gauge locos just donít smoke anywhere near so well but they do have very limited space inside. It is best to whip the body off sharpish if you do get smoke in order to avoid damaging the body.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2019, 09:32:25 AM »
Having read these posts I would like to say that in my opinion the Dapol Chiltern 68 is the best LOCO made its so quiet that when itís running on my layout I have to watch it all the time otherwise I donít know where it is . I have had a problem with a class 22 which did start playing up a bit but now runs Ok after a couple of mates had a look at it .And one of my other mates blew the lights in my Bubble Car by running it with the High Freqency track cleaner on .Paul Churchill soon sorted that for me .
The only major failure was a Q1 steam loco that only managed to go one and a half laps round my layout before dying .So it does seem a bit of a lucky dip with Dapol and me and my friends have been lucky .
Apart from the above the only other minor problem Iíve had is the bolts on the front bogies falling out of the two Manors that I bought at Alli Palli for £35 each so Iím not complaining about those .as they were soon sorted .
Bob Tidbury
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 09:33:35 AM by Bob Tidbury »

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2019, 09:44:55 AM »
Having read these posts I would like to say that in my opinion the Dapol Chiltern 68 is the best LOCO made its so quiet that when itís running on my layout I have to watch it all the time otherwise I donít know where it is . I have had a problem with a class 22 which did start playing up a bit but now runs Ok after a couple of mates had a look at it .And one of my other mates blew the lights in my Bubble Car by running it with the High Freqency track cleaner on .Paul Churchill soon sorted that for me .
The only major failure was a Q1 steam loco that only managed to go one and a half laps round my layout before dying .So it does seem a bit of a lucky dip with Dapol and me and my friends have been lucky .
Apart from the above the only other minor problem Iíve had is the bolts on the front bogies falling out of the two Manors that I bought at Alli Palli for £35 each so Iím not complaining about those .as they were soon sorted .
Bob Tidbury
Just out of interest Bob, what was the problem with your class 22 as I'm having on going problems with mine intermittently slowing down the speeding up again.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Tonye

• N Gauge Society Number: 11231
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2019, 10:02:21 AM »
My only Dapol loco to play up was my class 26 which de-railed and the lights on one end stopped working, under investigation the middle wire was hanging out which turned out to be a nightmare to solder back in position. Dapol have no re-placement white connection blocks which are really tiny .
Tonye

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2019, 11:21:44 AM »
Austinbob  Thatís exactly what fault my class 22  had, Snowwolflair and Hailstone both had a look and allthough they couldnít find any thing wrong they put it back together and it now runs fine ,but a little bit slower than when new and the other one I have .
Bob Tidbury

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2019, 11:24:40 AM »
Austinbob  Thatís exactly what fault my class 22  had, Snowwolflair and Hailstone both had a look and allthough they couldnít find any thing wrong they put it back together and it now runs fine ,but a little bit slower than when new and the other one I have .
Bob Tidbury

Did anyone measure the current consumption? That's the key to diagnosing these motors - often slowing will correlate with a spike in current draw - if so that is a clear indicator of commutator clogging at minimum or worse.

It may be yours is drawing a higher current all the time now if it's permanently slower - if so it needs sorted out to reduce risk of longer term damage.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

ďWe have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.Ē Ė Dr. Carl Sagan

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2019, 11:25:51 AM »
Tonye I think that Layouts 4 you  have those tiny white connectors in stock pre wired If I remember correctly .
When are you and Shelley coming to visit again it would be nice to see you both .Bob Tidbury

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2019, 12:12:02 PM »
Bob Tidbury

Did anyone measure the current consumption? That's the key to diagnosing these motors - often slowing will correlate with a spike in current draw - if so that is a clear indicator of commutator clogging at minimum or worse.

It may be yours is drawing a higher current all the time now if it's permanently slower - if so it needs sorted out to reduce risk of longer term damage.

Cheers,
Alan
I haven't measured the current but the indicator light on my Morley controller does dim somewhat when the loco slows time. So it probably is drawing more current when it slows.
The motor looks a b***** to get at. Might have to send off for repair/service. Not good for loco that's barely run in. Well out of warranty unfortunately.
Thanks again for your help sir...
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal