!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Diesels Poor build quality  (Read 16772 times)

Offline StuartM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18933
  • 2mm Association Number: 4575
    • stuartmoore-modelrailways
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Diesels Poor build quality
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
Good luck

Offline Adrob

• N Gauge Society Number: 17902
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2016, 12:16:10 PM »
Hi. On reading of your experience with Dapol Diesel Loco's with lights, my experience is not dissimilar.
I purchased a class 56 & the lights failed on one end within minutes, I returned it to DCC Supplies for warranty repair which they did. Having got it back I put on the track , same failure within minutes, returned it again to DCC, they repaired it, I got it back and got the same failure again within minutes.  This time I got in touch with Dapol & said that I was unhappy with DCC Supplies & I wanted a new loco, they sent me one & as soon as I tried it the same fault again.  I have not bothered to send it back as it seems to run OK, however I recently tried to run one of their class 58 locos of which I have three and although it is now out of warrant
y, it has only been run briefly, this time round it ran about 9 feet and died with nasty smell of burning and the loco got very warm at one end.
I have been told that this is a component fault on the PCB (not by Dapol or DCC Supplies) and that Dapol have been made aware of it. I have quite a number of Dapol Diesel locos with lights all between 2 & 5 years old and am rather worried that they might well fail the same way without any warning. It seems to me that Its pot luck whether what you get is good or bad.
I will certainly be writing to Dapols Mr Joel Bright regarding this situation as from experience No One I have so far been able to contact within their organisation or DCC Supplies has been of any real assistance.
Here's Hoping.

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2016, 12:32:55 PM »
So far all my lights work. I guess it must just be the diode blowing.
As I model the 60s, well before loco headlights, locos are more realistic without any lights. During the daytime lights were not viable until fairly recent years.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2016, 01:22:24 PM »
Hi. On reading of your experience with Dapol Diesel Loco's with lights, my experience is not dissimilar.
I purchased a class 56 & the lights failed on one end within minutes, I returned it to DCC Supplies for warranty repair which they did. Having got it back I put on the track , same failure within minutes, returned it again to DCC, they repaired it, I got it back and got the same failure again within minutes.  This time I got in touch with Dapol & said that I was unhappy with DCC Supplies & I wanted a new loco, they sent me one & as soon as I tried it the same fault again.  I have not bothered to send it back as it seems to run OK, however I recently tried to run one of their class 58 locos of which I have three and although it is now out of warrant
y, it has only been run briefly, this time round it ran about 9 feet and died with nasty smell of burning and the loco got very warm at one end.
I have been told that this is a component fault on the PCB (not by Dapol or DCC Supplies) and that Dapol have been made aware of it. I have quite a number of Dapol Diesel locos with lights all between 2 & 5 years old and am rather worried that they might well fail the same way without any warning. It seems to me that Its pot luck whether what you get is good or bad.
I will certainly be writing to Dapols Mr Joel Bright regarding this situation as from experience No One I have so far been able to contact within their organisation or DCC Supplies has been of any real assistance.
Here's Hoping.

What controller are you using? Seems a bit odd....

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2016, 01:55:21 PM »

Here's Hoping.

Welcome to the forum :wave:
I think the best way to contact Joel will be through their 'Digest' forum as you can address the complaint to him specifically under the class of loco concerned...............

https://digest.dapol.co.uk

Offline woodbury22uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2016, 04:37:19 PM »
37 months between today's posts and the previous batch in 2013. Did Dapol diesels generally get better for a while? Or did complaints become more Class specific?
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2016, 06:35:37 PM »
Well, it does seem very variable having many fine Dapol locos and HST but also some where I have soldered in new diodes - have been used on Gaugemaster, Warley club GM modified, Morley and old H&M products all in DC.

The quality of soldering does vary with some quite rough ones - missed out on batch QC checks I guess. However on ebay I bought replacement identical looking diodes - worked fine and might well be out of same factory and when I asked buyer that were they from the advertised source got quite shirty, which did make me wonder about knock offs? or batch production rejects as his reaction was openly hostile to a polite question. 

It  does add a layer of fog to this PCB business and it is worth noting on Hattons s/h website a regular flow of locos from both Dapol and Bachamann/ farish saying lighting not working one end.       
Certainly easier to solder on Dapol PCB as the mounts on the farish ones even smaller! 
cheers
Robert   

Offline Charliemouse

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2016, 11:21:28 AM »
I'm just  about to invest in some new stock upon returning to the hobby.
Does anyone have anything to add about dapol and farish production standards in 2016 as this thread is 3 years old.
Hopefully they read this stuff and make things better. As a product designer it's what I do for a living and I hate owning less than perfect stuff!
I need smaller fingers...

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Loco Repairs - Direct message me
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2016, 11:36:48 AM »
I repair quite a lot of locos, Dapols usually fall into two categories...

Melted Wiring and PCB's caused by failing diodes under the pcb which takes out the lights and the wiring most prone seem to be Class 52 / Class 22 & Colas Class 56
Motor burn outs Class 66 / Class 22

Farish pretty good, usually split gears is the main fault across a multitude of different classes

Offline Elvinley

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2016, 01:52:51 PM »
You can get duds from Farish and Dapol and just because they run well initially doesn't mean they will stay that way. It is a minefield and you have to be prepared with some locos to send stuff back initially or work on it yourself at a later date.

Offline Adrob

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2019, 05:57:43 PM »
I certainly agree that Dapol (particularly the diesels with working Lights) have problems.  I have had to return at least ten for repair all for light failures, to the extent that those most recently sent to DCC Supplies for repair have had the lighting parts removed at my request. So far this, fingers crossed seems to have solved the problem.  I can only speak as I find but it does seem to me that Dapol need to address the lighting failures.  I have been assured by DCC Supplies that this problem is being addressed but having purchased a new fairly recently made Class 33/1 of theirs on which the lights failed within 10 minutes of running it seems that the trouble has not gone away.  I should add that I was told by DCC Supplies to stop running the loco immediately any of the lights failed as this could seriously damage the motor.   In conclusion, I will not be buying any more Dapol Locos until I am satisfied that this problem has been solved.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2019, 06:16:43 PM »
I'd be questioning why you have such a failure rate - what controller are you using?

I should add that I was told by DCC Supplies to stop running the loco immediately any of the lights failed as this could seriously damage the motor. 

That's ridiculous. It can damage the PCB in the worst case, but the motor is a completely separate circuit (which is why it'll carry on running even if the lights are failed or disconnected) - it cannot be damaged by a failed LED or diode*. I'd presume that's what they mean, but if so it's sloppy use of terminology, and therefore misleading.

Cheers,
Alan

*usual failures are the BAT54C dual Schottky diode packages on the red LEDS. Failures of these seem common, but I don't know the mode of failure as I've never seen one actually die in front of me.
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2019, 06:22:19 PM »
That's very odd. You didn't say how many Dapol diesels you have in total so we don't know what the fault rate is. Maybe you were very unlucky or there might be a problem elsewhere.  What control system are you using? I understand latest build Dapol diesels have electronic components that can cope with spikes that sometimes happen which is why DCC supplies thought the problem was fixed.
I don't see how running s loco with failed lights could damage the motor. I carry on running them and have had no problems.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Online PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2019, 07:43:51 PM »
It still seems to me a mystery why 10% of buyers have 90% of the issues with models...

In conclusion, I will not be buying any more Dapol Locos until I am satisfied that this problem has been solved.
In conclusion I think Dapol & Farish should not sell any more locos to those buyers until whatever those modellers are doing to cause those individuals to have a much higher failure rate than other modellers is identified and resolved...  ;)

Offline Adrob

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2019, 08:38:18 PM »
First Thanks for all the interest.
In response to how many Dapol Diesels, I have 13 (maybe unlucky for me!) & only 3 of which have not had to be repaired, indeed 2 of them have gone back twice. Two are waiting to be returned for repair one of them for a second time, lighting faults again.
Regarding continuing to running them without lights, DCC Supplies told me that if the diode controlling them fails open its OK to continue, but if it fails shut then that can cause the problem, so as i'm no electrician, I returned them for repair based on this advice. This is what they wrote:-

The diode blowing is a common fault with these diesels they are just a weak link in the chain , As for not running your loco if the lights stop working sometimes they can be fine and run with no further issues , But as with the last one I fixed for you they can get very hot and start melting the wires , PCB , blanking plugs , Decoders and what ever else is close by , I would advise like the last time to stop running the loco if it develops a lighting issue and to get it fixed to stop it causing any more problems with the loco and adding more cost.

The controllers I use are Gaugemaster Type W handheld supplied by their own recommended cased transformer.  With this system I have had no problems with any diesel locos with or without lights from other manufacturers irrespective of age , excepting split gears on some farish chassis which I can easily inexpensively fix.

In conclusion I am sticking to my opinion, however it is only my opinion.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal