!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Diesels Poor build quality  (Read 16782 times)

Offline Calnefoxile

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13399
  • 2mm Association Number: 5004
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Diesels Poor build quality
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 02:05:33 PM »

You know what, reading all these posts, I must be really lucky because I've not had any issues with any of my new locos, he says holding onto a 4-leaf clover, touching wood whilst crossing his fingers and saying a prayer  ;) ;)

Just do what the instructions say, give them a quick oil, run them in for 1/2 hour or so and bob's your mothers brother. All lights seem to work fine in either direction, including the 70, 56 etc.

As I say, I just must be lucky  :D :D

Regards

Neal.

Offline daveg

• N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2013, 03:32:04 PM »
My order for a Dapol Class 26 (code ND145H) has just been shipped.

I'll report back once it's here and I've got it running in.

Dave G

Offline 4x2

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2013, 03:50:45 PM »
Hi Guys....

I have just received two locos....

Farish 70006...didn't work from the box, some downward pressure got movement but stalled on curves. Red lights did not work in one direction.  Adjusted the bogie tower pick-ups and the lighting contacts and all was well.

Dapol 27032...Ran well straight out the box(and lub'ed) ...lights all fine.  After running in (with the 70) for about 30 mins, I reversed direction and ...NO LIGHTS. Original direction OK, but reverse...NOWT.  Took the body off, reseated the plugs, checked the wires etc...same result.  Wrote an e-mail to the trader requesting return details etc etc...About an hour later, tried it again out of curiosity...and ALL LIGHTS OK.  So this is probably a thermal issue, but as the loco will probably only work in short bursts...I'll probably live with it instead of returning it.

Conclusion....poor assembly and/or transit protection in both cases.  However, both are  acceptable runners and I can live with the lighting glitch.

Later;
STU from EGDL
Please don't take this personally... By not returning your defective loco's, the manufacturers are under the impression that your items were perfect and they will have no incentive to improve or modify to cure the faults.

I've always wondered how many people put up with faults or fix it themselves...(I used to do it too ! :doh:)If everybody sent their defective stuff back, just imagine the staff meetings when the manufacturers get most of their stock back with defect notes !

If it doesn't do what it says on the box, it should go straight back - don't accept excuses from the dealer either...
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline StufromEGDL

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • So there's a picture of the real thing like that??
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
Hi Mike,

I appreciate your point about customer returns.....and, Dapol Dave will be aware of the shortcomings of this particular loco as he will no doubt read my post on RM Web.....and he knows that I am vociferous if needed. The dealer has also offered the option of return for refund or 'possible' replacement....I do not wish to be in a position of not having the product if no replacement is available, hence it contributes to the keeping of the item along with the intended usage.

I have just tried the model again and it all seems fine. If it fails completely for whatever reason, then it will be returned.

Regards,
Stu from EGDL.
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

Offline Maurits71

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23800
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2013, 04:18:39 PM »
Hi Guys....

I have just received two locos....

Farish 70006...didn't work from the box, some downward pressure got movement but stalled on curves. Red lights did not work in one direction.  Adjusted the bogie tower pick-ups and the lighting contacts and all was well.

Dapol 27032...Ran well straight out the box(and lub'ed) ...lights all fine.  After running in (with the 70) for about 30 mins, I reversed direction and ...NO LIGHTS. Original direction OK, but reverse...NOWT.  Took the body off, reseated the plugs, checked the wires etc...same result.  Wrote an e-mail to the trader requesting return details etc etc...About an hour later, tried it again out of curiosity...and ALL LIGHTS OK.  So this is probably a thermal issue, but as the loco will probably only work in short bursts...I'll probably live with it instead of returning it.

Conclusion....poor assembly and/or transit protection in both cases.  However, both are  acceptable runners and I can live with the lighting glitch.

Later;
STU from EGDL
Please don't take this personally... By not returning your defective loco's, the manufacturers are under the impression that your items were perfect and they will have no incentive to improve or modify to cure the faults.

I've always wondered how many people put up with faults or fix it themselves...(I used to do it too ! :doh:)If everybody sent their defective stuff back, just imagine the staff meetings when the manufacturers get most of their stock back with defect notes !

If it doesn't do what it says on the box, it should go straight back - don't accept excuses from the dealer either...

Mike, I can see your point but.

I believe that a few simple things like already mentioned are the least we can do. In all honesty, and don't take this personally or feel offended when I moved from Holland to the UK 5 years ago one of the things what have surprised me the most is the simplicity the British public have to returns/ warranties.

I am in a complete different profession than model railroad but we supply a Hugh amount of different products and we are now in the process to make all our products 10/ 15 % more expensive just to cover the amount of unnecessary returns. don't understand me wrong a fault is fault that's simple but returning products after using only because people can't be bothered to clean them is a different story.

In trade it's a simple thing. purchase price x exchange rate + shipping cost = landed price. landed price + return percentage + margin trade is  retail price. goes the unnecessary return percentage up we pay more that's simple.

Again please don't feel offended any one it's just a simple conclusion I have drawn based on experience in Europe and the UK now.

best regards

M.
Hills and Meadows on social media

For Hills and Meadows video channel please click here

For Hills and Meadows on facebook please click here

Offline 4x2

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2013, 04:41:35 PM »
Hi Stu,

Glad your not taking it lying down as the saying goes ! I do understand about the limited availability, i missed out on the first batch of dapol panniers...  :'(

Just for the record, i still buy Dapol and Farish despite the issues - My point really is that some people just 'put up with it' and that's doing more harm in the long term in my honest opinion.

Hope your 27 lives on, they can be really nice runners once they've been run in for a few hours.  :thumbsup:

Hi Maurits71,

No offense taken ! Your point is quite valid, i just wish more people would make use of our simple returns system.
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline redtrain

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2013, 03:51:26 PM »
Hi all,

most interesting. Coming at this as someone who predominately bought German and US products I found British manufactures to be good value for money. Levels of detail are good, paint schemes, appearance on Farish and Dapol models are first class. Fleischmann is not any more what it used to be and apart from their digital technology and locomotives there has not been much new while prices have gone up considerably. Dapol has some great rolling stock (and what they did for Modelbahn Union is fantastic). The same goes for Farish really good value rolling stock.

That's the positive, however QC is a bit of an issue. As far as Dapol goes I really like by 67 DB Schenker, but this 'slow creep motor' selling point is nonsense. There is nothing fundamentally different or better about Dapol's motors.

Farish - I have a 6 or so diesels which all had one thing in common - they really needed running in! You can take a Kato or Fleischmann or Minitrix straight out of the box and it will run, a Farish locomotive hardly moves to start with and really needs its 30 minutes either way. From reading the reviews here I understand Farish has improved over the years and that is fair enough.

Recently I have been thinking of having some Farish/Dapol engines upgraded with DCC sound, but I am somewhat reluctant to invest 200+ into engines I am not convinced are going last 1-2 decades.

Just an observation really.

Marcus

Offline scruff

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2013, 12:08:04 PM »
Out of 19 Dapol loco's and 16 Farish ones I've only had to return one Farish class 60 due to a damaged coupler box.

To be fair I do try to get loco's tested before purchase but I've not had one loco tested that failed.
In fact the only fault found on testing was a Peco point on Hattons test track!

Am I just lucky??

Cheers

Mark

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2013, 01:54:13 PM »
Am I just lucky??

I think you have got away with things, Mark.
I've had to return locos to Farish, Dapol and Peco ::)
I reckon my success rate is around 90% :worried:

Offline BobB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27926
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2013, 08:33:08 AM »
If the Arnold Brighton Belle ever arrives, I wonder how it will stack up against GF and Dapol.

Offline tim-pelican

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22330
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2013, 10:12:53 AM »
If the Arnold Brighton Belle ever arrives, I wonder how it will stack up against GF and Dapol.

For both quality and price.  This is the only item I've ever pre-ordered with no idea how much it's going to cost... I'm slightly scared  :uneasy:

Offline anselm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20354
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2013, 11:00:27 AM »
And not just the diesels.  I bought a 9F in Bournemouth last month and it failed after 45 minutes of slow running in.  Dapol and DCC Supplies (their repairers) claim it failed because the wrong oil was used and the warranty is therefore invalidated.  They are mistaken; I used the standard Expo light oil.  Letter on its way to Joel Bright, the MD.

Ian   :'(

I'm pleased to report that where my 9F is concerned Dapol have come up trumps.

Joel Bright replied promptly to my letter and asked me to return the loco and oil direct to him.  He rang yesterday to say that they had replaced the chassis and would post it back to me. He also confirmed that the Expo oil had not damaged the plastic.  I think that is an excellent response.

Now where's the postman!

Ian  :thumbsup:

Offline daveg

• N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2013, 12:06:15 PM »
Good to hear!

A bit naughty of DCC Supplies telling you the oil tale, though. Hope someone got their legs slapped for that!

Dave G

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2013, 08:13:55 PM »
Having just SCRAPPED my third Kato loco I would perhaps disagree thay they are much better than Dapol or Farish.

The first was quite a lot of years ago- one of their BR86 German tank locos where the valve gear fell apart on one side (and part snapped) after a wheel shifted on its axle (and decided it wouldn't go back) - no repair available.

The second was a US diesel that ran so hot that it melted the plastic body- this was an "Atlas by Kato" RS11 I seem to remember.  Yet there are those who will tell you that ONLY Dapol motors overheat........

The most recent is a Hobbytrain by Kato German railcar that has decided to unarticulate in the middle and which won't go back together- in any case it couldn't pull itself along flat track.  I've kept its mechanism in case its replacement has the same adhesion problems.  Hopefully the replacement will behave well enough to perform at Grantham Railshow and Model Rail Live.

Two of these at the time of purchase were considerably more expensive than an equivalent UK model.

BTW I've also returned for refund some years ago another Kato US diesel with no lights, and a Kato 2-8-2 that wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

I can think of twenty-two manufacturers who'se mechanisms I've used over the years, and am not convinced that ANY are vastly better than the rest- and this includes
BEMO (their German railcar),
Tomix trams that bend on curves but don't straighten up again,
recent Piko diesels that don't like Peco points,
Lifelike and Athearn diesels with light problems,
Intermountain diesels arriving with broken handrails- expensive to return to the US,
Minitrix, Fleischmann and Farish steamers locking up,
and split gears on at least FOUR makes other than Farish......

All the very best
Les

Offline GeeBee

• N Gauge Society Number: 14888
  • Hi from Grahams world of the terminally bewildered
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
I have had many problems with Dapol loco's in the last 4 years my 9F regularly throws itself off of facing points ( just spoken to Dapol about this for the 3rd time they are sending me a mod for it  :)) my M7 just sat there and buzzed( that one was replaced) My Britannia  Britannia motor burnt out after 12 minutes sent it back to Dapol waited 14 weeks for a response which was that it was one of the early build and could not be repaired and had been skipped they offered me another named loco not Britannia not what I wanted. also a had a diesel that was returned no lights and very jerky one minute running slow next haring off round the track like a rocket, just bought the London transport pannier tank I am keeping my fingers crossed with this one (makes it a bit difficult to put it on the rails but never mind)
Graham

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal