!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Modern Image layout - Horseblock Lane  (Read 56850 times)

Offline Cooper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22643
  • 2mm Association Number: 5048
    • Awards
Re: Modern Image layout - Horseblock Lane
« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2014, 01:14:31 PM »
Congratulations on getting Horseblock Lane into the RM. I really enjoyed your article. Unfortunately I probabaly won't be getting to TINGS so I won't have the opportunity to see it operating. Any more shows planned in the coming months?

I was interested to read that you are using Dapol Easi-shunt couplings with minature rare earth magnets as I've just converted Lowbeck Hall East over to this system after having lost patience woth Peco Elsie couplings. I'm finding that while uncoupling with Easi-shunt is very reliable, I can't get the shunt-back function to work. What have been your experiences in this respect?

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

We are at the Letchworth MRS show 29/30 November 2014. We have invites to Brighton Model World and Shoeburyness show in 2015 although only the latter is confirmed as I write (pending operator availability!)

As for the Easi-shunts with miniature rare earth magnets. I have not managed to get the delay shunting action to work although it may well work with the large magnets supplied. These can be disguised if it is essential to the operation of the layout.

The rare earth magnets need to have the poles set up correctly when installing. Not easily done when they fly off to join each other so easily! The tails of the couplings need setting up carefully and I do get spurious uncoupling which I intend to solve with careful application of foam pads to the underside of wagons rubbing gently on the axle of the offending wagons.

Hope this helps!

Neal.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 08:25:55 PM by Cooper, Reason: Typo »

Offline Caz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2014, 01:21:34 PM »

As for the Easi-shunts with miniature rare earth magnets. I have not managed to get the delay shunting action to work although it may well work with the large magnets supplied. These can be disguised if it is essential to the operation of the layout.

Neal.

I can't get the delay action uncoupling to work reliably with either the rare earth magnets, microtrains magnets or the Dapol ones, the best to make it work are the rare earth, but you need a double shunt to really open up the couplings sufficiently for the delay mechanism to work properly.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 09:33:33 AM by Caz, Reason: added reliably to uncoupling to work »

Offline Cooper

• Awards
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2014, 08:02:23 PM »
So now the Railway Modeller appearance has passed, (we were in the August 2014 edition if you missed it!) I can share with you some of the photos that were taken by Paul Bason when comissioned to photograph the layout by Railway Modeller. These are the ones that didn't make the finished article. They were taken by Paul Bason and are reproduced here with his kind permission. They have been re-sized to meet the file size rules of the forum.

I'll be sharing them over the next few days. Here is the first couple. I think he did an excellent job!

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:00:51 PM by Cooper, Reason: Change July to August! Ooops! »

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2014, 08:04:24 PM »
Nice, very nice, a pro photographer can make a big difference.   :thumbsup:

Offline PostModN66

• N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2014, 08:05:39 PM »
I particularly like the second one - a rarely seen view and it shows off your excellent cement silos very nicely!

Cheers Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline Buzzard

• Awards
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2014, 08:26:44 PM »
So now the Railway Modeller appearance has passed

I made a special trip into my nearest Smifs to get a copy and well worth the trip was.  Even though I've seen the layout for real and followed this thread it's nice to have something in printed format.

Well done for a nice layout and a well written pice in RM.

Nigel

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2014, 09:27:20 PM »
Not sure I spotted the 'N Gauge Forum' placard on the layout in the Railway Modeller, Neal :hmmm: ;)

Offline Cooper

• Awards
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2014, 09:37:13 PM »
I particularly like the second one - a rarely seen view and it shows off your excellent cement silos very nicely!

Cheers Jon  :)

Shame I couldn't use it for the N Gauge Society article!  :doh:

Offline Cooper

• Awards
« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2014, 09:39:59 PM »
Not sure I spotted the 'N Gauge Forum' placard on the layout in the Railway Modeller, Neal :hmmm: ;)

It was photographed a year ago! It'll be on the layout for TINGS I can assure you.  :)

Offline GroupC

• Awards
« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2014, 10:04:23 PM »
Great photos, was brilliant to see it in the mag - well done!

There's a couple of N gauge layouts in the new issue of RM out today too (I don't work for Peco or RM - this is just a heads up!)

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2014, 10:28:55 PM »
I commented to chaps at my club a couple of months ago that Derby Road station in Ipswich would make a good exhibition layout - somebody at RM must have heard me as it's a suggested layout in the September issue hahahaha
One of our guys is building Trimley station, which is just a bit further up the line towards Felixstowe

Offline Cooper

• Awards
« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2014, 08:31:06 AM »
Here are a couple more of Paul Bason's photos from the Railway Modeller commissioned photoshoot.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2014, 08:38:29 AM »
Great stuff. The second pic is particularly good. Aug RM hasn't arrived at my local newsagent here yet... I'll look for it!  :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline PostModN66

• N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2014, 10:52:41 AM »
I agree.

That second picture could be G scale if you didn't know better!  I reckon Dapol or Farish should use this layout as a photographic backdrop for the launch of new modern wagons.

Cheer  Jon  :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 10:55:45 AM by PostModN66, Reason: Afterthought »
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2014, 11:21:53 AM »
Great stuff. The second pic is particularly good. Aug RM hasn't arrived at my local newsagent here yet... I'll look for it!  :thumbsup:

George

I've just got September issue!

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal