!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: cork trackbed  (Read 223 times)

Offline spoonfed

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
cork trackbed
« on: August 31, 2018, 08:25:24 PM »
not sure what the correct terminology is but having received my second radius for my outer loop I have tested everything and it works so, I am going to fix the track using cork underlay ? trackbed? I intend to use PVA glue for this but am not sure how  to make a tidy job on the curves, is there a trick I ought to know or should I just mitre it in segments to achieve a neat arc ? dont think it will just curve by hand will it? I intend to ballast anyway so appearance is not critical but, I would like to make a nice neat job of it.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: cork trackbed
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 08:32:24 PM »
For straight track I use 1" wide strips of cork as the bed.  For curves, I use two 0.5" strips either side of the centre-line, that way it's easier to form a curve.  Simples!

This loop is Peco R3 with flexitrack transition curves

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 08:33:50 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 08:42:48 PM »
One thing to remember when using cork, (or anything else), under the track is that you may well need to use the same substance under trackside buildings/stations etc., to keep them on a level with the track.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Jerry Howlett

• N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 10:31:49 AM »
One thing to remember when using cork, (or anything else), under the track is that you may well need to use the same substance under trackside buildings/stations etc., to keep them on a level with the track.

So true!!..  Just about to start building the station platforms when I realised that I had forgooten this from the last layout. .  Now hastily glueing down sheets of cork under the proposed platform site!!   :headbutt: :headbutt:

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 10:38:55 AM »
Yes indeed. But I do like the cork underlay. I have said on a post somewhere here (sorry, can't provide a link as I'm on me phone at usual) that I stopped using it halfway through construction of my layout, as a cost cutting exercise.

Totally regretted it ever since.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Innovationgame

• N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 10:44:00 AM »
It depends on your platforms.  Ratio kits are the right height direct onto the base board with the track layed on cork.  Metcalf kits are a millimetre or so lower, so might need to be on cork, although when I made one, it didn't seem too low.  I think it's a case of suck it and see.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 10:46:15 AM »
Yes, I agree. If you have problem, you can experiment with platform heights, etc. as you install them. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 10:55:32 AM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 01:45:26 PM »
It depends on the height of the platforms of your prototype. Not all platforms were the same height. Not all platforms were the same height along themselves. Many platforms had 6 inch higher areas for the loading of milk churns..
 The standard today is 3ft but +- 6 inches was not unknown in the past.

The Highland railway Kyle Line had platforms in the range of 2 to 2.5 feet,with generous single track bridges, as they hoped to carry fishing vessels!!! (when being rebuilt they are being changed to 3ft)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 01:46:57 PM by The Q »

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £317.00
Above Goal: £262.00
Site Currency: GBP
576% 
December Donations

Advertise Here