!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Hall  (Read 25037 times)

Offline longbow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Hall
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2017, 07:39:25 AM »
I'm considering renaming a Dapol Hall using FoxMaster etched nameplates. Do the old plates come off pretty easily?

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2017, 09:08:10 AM »
I'm considering renaming a Dapol Hall using FoxMaster etched nameplates. Do the old plates come off pretty easily?

Yes, with a thin scalpel blade you can get in behind them and gently prise them off.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online Rowlie

• N Gauge Society Number: 20349
  • 2mm Association Number: 4846
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2017, 08:43:49 PM »
Yes, the nameplates and cab numbers come off really easily, I changed a Hall and Manor last year. The cab numbers sit in a recess and the nameplates fit on a removable backplate that is stepped to accommodate the etched plate, so a little care is needed in removing the original plates.  The recesses however, make fitting the new plates very straightforward. Hope this helps.

Offline longbow

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2018, 01:34:16 PM »
Can somebody confirm please whether the early release Dapol Halls (ie those with the ND prefix) are DCC ready.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2018, 01:35:58 PM »
All Dapol Halls are NEM651 6 pin DCC ready.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline longbow

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2018, 07:05:16 AM »
I have now acquired an early Hall (ND135C) and it is indeed DCC ready. But unlike later versions the tender PCB design precludes the use of larger decoders such as the popular Zimo MX622N.

Offline NeilWhite

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2018, 07:54:39 AM »
Hi

Yes, the early Halls had a sloped fitting for the DCC chip. At the time I fitted a couple with (I think) CT Elektronik DC76x chips (I think that's the right code). In fact, few (if any) of Dapol's then-recommended chips would fit without hacking into (through??) the top of the tender.

An easy alternative is to strip all the mounting stuff out and solder in a 6-wire chip. This is NOT for the faint-hearted, but is fairly straightforward if you've done a few wired chip fittings and have medium+ soldering/wiring skills.

Note that this procedure will DEFINITELY void your warranty! But I guess that has expired anyway for locos of this age!

Neil

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2018, 07:58:31 AM »
And as reported elsewhere the new design PCB, which Dapol deny exists does not even allow the use of the usual Gaugemaster DCC23, so Watch out for the tender hitting the decoder and not fitting properly. Dapol recommend taking a dremel to the underside of the tender roof to make extra room.  Typical Dapol.
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline longbow

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2018, 08:12:50 AM »
The sloped fitting appears to be the same in both versions. However the later pcb design in my Pembleton Hall (2S-010-001) inverts the decoder socket and creates enough extra room to fit a MX622N without any cutting, so it would certainly fit a DCC23.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 08:25:52 AM by longbow »

Offline JayM481

• N Gauge Society Number: 28771
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2019, 09:40:57 PM »
I resurrected this thread since I just encountered the chip-fitting issues mentioned here and in this other thread. I have two Dapol Halls, one is the Osborne's exclusive Hinderton Hall which has the old product code (ND-135OSB1) and the newer Lanelay Hall (code 2S-010-000). Here's a photo of the different PCBs (Hinderton closest to the camera):

I tried a couple of decoders I have on hand - DCC Concepts Zen ZN6D and a Gaugemaster DCC28 and neither would fit. I have a couple of Zimo MX622N chips still in the plastic, but I have a feeling they won't fit either, though perhaps in Lanelay Hall if I float the PCB as mentioned in other threads. I'm guessing the PCB in Hinderton Hall may require surgery, or I'll have to resort to hard-wiring as the OP of the thread above did.

I am considering buying a couple of CT Elektronik mini decoders, but I'm on the wrong side of the pond for that. Looking at a chart of decoder sizes, it seems they may well be the only ones that will fit the older version. Does anyone have an older Dapol Hall with factory-fitted DCC who might have a photo of it with the tender top off? I have to wonder how they fitted anything with that PCB in the way.

Offline longbow

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2019, 10:22:42 PM »
I did squeeze an MX622N into a late model Hall tender. I have a smaller CT DCX77z in my early-model Hall which has less room, but the equally tiny Zimo MX616 would also fit.

Offline NeilWhite

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2019, 11:28:32 PM »
I've got a CT Electronik DCX76 (the six-pin version of this: https://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/products/cte/dcx76-series) in one of my Halls with that type of PCB.  Yes, it does fit. That particular chip may not be available now, but either (a) there is a more recent CT Electronik chip of similar size, or (b) this will give some guidance on what size chip you need.

An alternative is to strip out the PCB and solder in a wired decoder. This is fairly straightforward, and once the PCB is removed you have quite a bit more room. I've done this on one of my Halls.

I've heard talk of excavating out of the top of the tender body to make room, but I doubt that there is enough thickness in the tender top to make this viable.

Neil

Offline JayM481

• N Gauge Society Number: 28771
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2019, 11:46:50 PM »
I did squeeze an MX622N into a late model Hall tender. I have a smaller CT DCX77z in my early-model Hall which has less room, but the equally tiny Zimo MX616 would also fit.

In post #8 of the thread I linked to the OP found the MX616 didn't fit either, though the DCX77z is a few mm shorter than the Zimo, and about 1mm thinner than the MX616, I think. I can get Zimo chips this side of the pond, but not CT.

I still wonder how they did a DCC-fitted version of any of the models with that larger PCB.

If I end up frustrated enough to remove the PCB I'll consider fitting sound.

Offline longbow

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2019, 12:40:13 AM »
Just checked and the MX616 is indeed a little longer and fatter than the CT DCX77z, so the latter is the only one I've tried that's a verified fit in the earlier PCB. It looks as though one could make more room for the decoder by grinding off the bottom of the PCB below the socket and repositioning it, either by drilling new mounting holes or even by mounting it upside down. But that's probably more hassle than tearing it all out and hard-wiring a decoder. There's a guide to sound fitting the Dapol Hall here:

http://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Resource.php?L1=Guides&Item=DapolNHall

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2019, 07:27:51 AM »
It's not just the Halls that have this issue.

I have two of their 9F's and it's the same with them, the early one takes the Gaugemaster DCC23 without issue but the latter one with the self centering spring on the front pony does not, it hits to tender roof as with the Hall, tried a number of different decoders and the only one that fitted and allowed the tender to fit was the Zimo MX616.

Dapol deny changing the PCB, but they are clearly different as can be seen in the photo a few posts above.

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations

anything