!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Hall  (Read 25036 times)

Offline painbrook

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Hall
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2011, 10:53:21 PM »
Hopefully they are improving with every new loco . I must admit I wo'nt mind painting the grey wheels on their next loco , (yes you've guessed it) , an unrebuilt 'patriot'  ;D ;D . cheers john . Hopefully Mr 'dapol' reads the forum  ;) ..

Offline Elvinley

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2011, 11:33:12 PM »
It's annoying when fanboys seem to hold a lot of clout on certain forums which will remain nameless. (I still post on their but have 'moderated status' for telling it like it is). What I love about this forum is the freedom of speech allowed. Hopefully more Ngaugers will read the posts on here which are written with honesty and integrity and without fear of upsetting a company that persists in doing things badly. It is such a shame as they get so much right like the coaches and wagons. Even some of the early locos which had their faults were better runners than some of the more recent ones. I have two underpowered 14XXs running right now. Double headed they are fine. They don't overheat and are silent. On the other line I have a Brit which is running warmly and noisily around my railway. I recently bought a new class 58 from a friend. This is also a warm runner. I hope with gentle running in it will improve. Any Dapol loco purchase is a gamble, and that is totally wrong.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:35:37 PM by Elvinley »

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2011, 11:51:29 PM »
It's annoying when fanboys seem to hold a lot of clout on certain forums which will remain nameless. (I still post on their but have 'moderated status' for telling it like it is). What I love about this forum is the freedom of speech allowed. Hopefully more Ngaugers will read the posts on here which are written with honesty and integrity and without fear of upsetting a company that persists in doing things badly. It is such a shame as they get so much right like the coaches and wagons. Even some of the early locos which had their faults were better runners than some of the more recent ones. I have two underpowered 14XXs running right now. Double headed they are fine. They don't overheat and are silent. On the other line I have a Brit which is running warmly and noisily around my railway. I recently bought a new class 58 from a friend. This is also a warm runner. I hope with gentle running in it will improve. Any Dapol loco purchase is a gamble, and that is totally wrong.

The silent majority aren't stupid though. It's the vocal fanboys that look stupid pushing Dapol for all their worth, but franky, it doesn't work. That's quite clear from the increasingly desperate attempts model shops are undertaking to shift piles of B1s - Kernow, Hattons, Rails, Model Rail direct are all heavily discounting as they have not shifted them. That implies they simply aren't selling, and I'm sure that wouldn't be the case if there was no competition, as in this case the competition is simply superior IMHO.

And Gaugemaster were heavily discounting the Britannias before they even came out!!!

Bachmann aren't stupid either. They don't trumpet about things being the best thing since sliced bread like Dapol do - instead they just keep quietly raising the bar above Dapol. The next thing looks to be the introduction of a coreless motor drive promised for the 5MT and WD 2-8-0s - certainly a first for British N gauge and may potentially further transform performance (coreless motors don't 'cog' between poles so should be even smoother!).

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2011, 12:18:41 AM »

Try not to weep too much as you look at this comparison between the OO Bachmann Hall and the N Dapol one.

Why oh why didn't Farish produce one.

The lining is indeed wrong and the grey wheels and rods are horrible. The running board is bent up, the BR logo appears too small etc etc.

I would forgive all this if I knew it wouldn't overheat and run badly.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:24:57 AM by Elvinley »

Offline Sithlord75

• N Gauge Society Number: 13892
  • 2mm Association Number: 4430
    • Sithlord's Railway Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2011, 12:25:49 AM »
It would appear Farish is concentrating on LMS/BR types - although I was very disappointed when Farish cancelled their 9F.  I guess on the upside we may see the Patriot and un-rebuilt Scot come along - just as soon as they sort out a Fowler tender.  With any degree of luck we may soon see a redone Duchess ( :thumbsup:) and 8F  (:thumbsup:) which would be very nice too.
Kevin Knight
"Do or do not - there is no try"

My blog thingo can be found here: http://www.sithlordsrailwayblog.blogspot.com

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2011, 12:29:41 AM »
It certainly would! A streamlined Duchess would be amazing. I am looking forward to the A1 one though - looks fantastic.

Look upon this beauty and then flick back to the Dapol Hall.

Offline 4x2

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2011, 12:37:02 AM »

Try not to weep too much as you look at this comparison between the OO Bachmann Hall and the N Dapol one.

Why oh why didn't Farish produce one.

Dear Mr Dapol,
                      For my birthday i would like the following...

A loco that goes forwards and backwards with out a gallon of 20w50
A loco that can go slow and have a realistic top speed without the 747 take off noise
A loco that will make it to it's first birthday without ANY tweeking
A loco that has decent wheels - not matchboxes finest
A loco on which the colour is actually the same as the real thing

And finally, can you make it the new Western please.... I REALLY want it to be good, but your track record sucks
and i cannot afford to waste £100+ on an expensive duffer.

Yours hopefully
                       One Happy FARISH/UNION MILLS/PECO customer. :evil:
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2011, 09:16:02 AM »
The lining is indeed wrong and the grey wheels and rods are horrible. The running board is bent up, the BR logo appears too small etc etc.

Yes, the BR logo is wrong aswell. It should be large - photos of the prototype loco (6910) show this is true:

http://www.north-wales-collectables.com/-p-12955.html

The lining is easy to paint out on a black loco at least.

Also:

The crosshead is way overscale (totally clunky in fact) and it's something I had a go at addressing with my model by thinning them out. Having done this, I can conclude that there is no obvious mechanical reason for the crosshead being this large. Also it's black plastic which breaks up the unity of the colouring of the value gear. One plus point of the Dapol model compared to the Bachmann is that the slide bars on the OO model look fairly large and clunky by comparison.

As for the wheels....well given that the loco is black, it comprehesively emphasises how incorrect they are. Shame, as the actual castings are very good.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Crackerbill

• N Gauge Society Number: 21694
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2011, 12:23:44 PM »
Received my Dapol Hall today - really fast delivery from Hattons as I ordered it only yesterday.

So far a mixed reception, seems to run OK but obviously needs a good run in. 

My major problem however is as follows:-

Fitting a DCC decoder has been somewhat strange. I first tried a Bachmann 6pin chip and although things worked absolutely correctly, I can't get the tender body back in place.  (a known problem with Dapol steam with this decoder)  I have tried two separate DCC23 gaugemaster chips as these are smaller, but the loco lies dead.  I have also tried a TCS EU651 6pin chip and again the loco refuses to work.  All these chips work perfectly in my diesels.

So here I am running the loco on my layout using the Bachmann chip but with the tender body perched on the top.

Has anyone got any advice or suggestions on how I can get this loco to work correctly with the tender fully in place.

Apart from surgery to the underside of the tender I have no idea how to solve this one and of course that would invalidate any warranty.  As I seem to have got a runner, I don't really want to attemt to go through Hattons stock until I find one that ackles properly  i.e. alows the tender to fit over a bachmann chip or works with some other decoder).  I will contact Hattons later for any advice they can give but I'm sure that as box movers they will probably not have anything further.

Any advice will be gratefully received.
Bill

Offline Crackerbill

• N Gauge Society Number: 21694
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2011, 04:41:41 PM »
I have contacted Hattons in regard to this wayward loco and they were sympathetic and offered a replacement.  I stated that I am very disallusioned with Dapol steam outline, (I think I have had just about every problem with the d*****d things that anyone could have) and have returned all but one.  That one I had to "fix" to make it run properly, but at least it was a bargain basement type.  This is the last straw no more Dapol steamers for me.   :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:  "Mr Dapol" take heed there are lots of people out there who are like minded and the numbers are growing.   :evil: :evil:

I requested a Farish/Bachmann B1 - Oliver Bury - to replace it.  They readily agreed and so the "heap" is now packed ready for posting in the morning.  Hope this one is up to the standards as reported in this forum.   :-\

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2011, 11:29:51 PM »
The Farish B1 is excellent. I did however have trouble with one I bought and this was returned. It was nowhere as smooth running as it should have been. Just make sure you get a quiet running one with freely moving valve gear.

Back to the Hall. Here is another new release:

http://railsofsheffield.com/hall-class-6953-leighton-hall-gwr-lined-green-livery-with-gw-crest-on-tender-nd135b-JJJA18024.aspx

Is it me, or is that crest massive? Stange lining on this one too.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 11:31:41 PM by Elvinley »

Offline 4x2

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2011, 11:41:01 PM »
The Farish B1 is excellent. I did however have trouble with one I bought and this was returned. It was nowhere as smooth running as it should have been. Just make sure you get a quiet running one with freely moving valve gear.

Back to the Hall. Here is another new release:

http://railsofsheffield.com/hall-class-6953-leighton-hall-gwr-lined-green-livery-with-gw-crest-on-tender-nd135b-JJJA18024.aspx

Is it me, or is that crest massive? Stange lining on this one too.

Hello mate ! Yes, the crest and wording on the tender look for too big. Also the loco colour is just not right, looks to bright - dare i say too much yellow in the green ? oh and don't forget the wheels !
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2011, 11:57:48 PM »
I wonder who makes these clever decisions?

Online silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2011, 05:29:34 PM »
Hello,

I'll always be grateful to Dapol for making two of my favourite locos, The terrier and the Q1. It's a shame they keep on making silly livery mistakes and their quality control is a bit hit and miss. I also have the perception that their locos won't stand the test of time. Farish ones just seem to be a bit more robust and easier to dismantle.

I hope that Dapol will continue to improve their steam locos, the only reason that I haven't taken the chance and bought any of their recent offerings is that they don't appeal to me.

But at the end of the day they are a lot better than anything I could have scratch built.

Regards

Veronica

Online Karhedron

• N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2011, 09:33:36 AM »
I am slightly disappointed by the number of detail errors on the Hall. So far I have counted the following errors. Rather than just list them and grumble, I have also suggested some fixes for those who are willing to fettle their locos.

1. Firebox lining (BR Early crest and late crest models). In BR days, ex-GWR locos such as Halls did not usually have lined fireboxes. The lining was only applied to the barrel of the boiler. The lining can either be scraped off carefully with a very fine scalpel or painted over with a suitably matched paint.

2. Cabside lining (GWR models). The lined GWR models produced so far (Leighton Hall, Mottram Hall and Hinderton Hall) all have incorrect cabside lining in the style only applied after nationalisation. Before 1948, the lining on GWR loco cabsides went up over the cab side windows. This can be fixed with lining transfers from Fox.

3. Fire iron tunnel. This is the small feature next to the firebox on the opposite side as the reverse lever. These were introduced on Hall 5920 and should be present on all Halls from then on and all modified Halls. The model without fire iron tunnel is only correct for Halls 4901 - 5919. Most of the Halls in the current batch are numbered after 5920 so the fire iron tunnel should be present. If you are keeping the model identity then a white metal GWR fire iron tunnel can be bought from P&D Marsh (it is not on their website but can probably be ordered from them direct as it is a component in several of their loco kits). The other alternative is to rename and renumber your Hall to one in the range 4901-5919. Etched plates are available from several suppliers such as ModelMaster.

4. Smokebox number plate font (BR models). For BR models the font of the numbering on the smokebox number plate is incorrect. It should be on the BR sans serif font. Transfers are available from Fox and ModelMaster to correct this.

5. Black wheels. Some photos may show engines with metal coloured wheels or with a sheen (possibly caused by oil). However the official paint specification for loco wheels in both GWR and BR days was painted black. A coat of black on the drivers would improve the look of the wheels immensly.

6. Red-spot. All Halls were red-spot locomotives. Gossington Hall incorrectly has a blue spot and should be replaced with one from Fox. All other models are correct on this point.

7. Gossington Hall only. Replace the small early crest on the tender with a larger one. This photo clearly shows that Gossington Hall carried a large early crest on its tender.

8. Leighton Hall only. The emblem on the tender is too large on this one. Again transfers from Fox to fix.

One could argue that we should not have to make so many fixes to a £100 loco but at the end of the day, that is what is on the shelves. As a WR modeller, I really want a Hall or two in my fleet and the Dapol model (with all its faults) is still a big improvement on the old Farish one. If others feel they don't want a Hall with those issues then that is their choice not to buy.

I have Gossington Hall and I plan to run through some (or even all) of the above points over the autumn. I will post the results on here for people to see. Hopefully Dapol will fix these issues in future batches and in the modified Halls.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations