New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Hall  (Read 22296 times)

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Hall
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 04:22:02 PM »
I hate to say it but Dapols biggest letdown is not checking their loco's before sending them out anywhere let-alone to Model reviewers. Time and again on this forum many members have discovered 'running issues' straight out of the box with Dapol loco's.
As far as I know, no major manufacturer tests their locos before dispatch. The extra time would cost money, especially when you consider they have thousands to test. It is more cost-effective for them to replace/refund failures than to try to weed them out during production.

As far as reputations go, Dapol are middling. One of the big box shifters last year commented that the return rate for failed locos was pretty much the same for both Farish and Dapol. The moral of the story is that the best place to buy your locos is somewhere you can give them a test run before you get them home.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline barkfast

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 09:19:10 AM »
As far as I know, no major manufacturer tests their locos before dispatch. The extra time would cost money, especially when you consider they have thousands to test. It is more cost-effective for them to replace/refund failures than to try to weed them out during production.

As far as reputations go, Dapol are middling. One of the big box shifters last year commented that the return rate for failed locos was pretty much the same for both Farish and Dapol. The moral of the story is that the best place to buy your locos is somewhere you can give them a test run before you get them home.

Its a little disappointing that locos arent tested... especially considering the price we pay for them. I think I would rather pay an extra 5 and know that its a good runner out of the box.

Buying locally is too cost prohibitive... my local hobby stores charge literally twice (if not more) than Hattons or Rails...

Eg Peco Collett Goods (2251 class)
LHS: 286 (https://www.frontlinehobbies.com.au/products/PEC-NL24?Peco%20N%20%20Collettt%20Goods%20GWRGreen%20Late%20Livery%20DCC?Peco%20N%20%20Collettt%20Goods%20GWRGreen%20Late%20Livery%20DCC)
Hattons: 115 (http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=16470)

Offline poliss

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 01:15:51 PM »
The only info I have is that Bachmann test their trains for 100 hours as shown in my link to the inside of their factory. I could not say if other manufacturers test their locos.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 01:21:05 PM »
That would be pre-production testing to prove the design and iron out any bugs.

In terms of testing off of the production line, I would think only a very small proportion are as I suspect it would simply not be a cost-effective proposition to test every loco these days (Although Farish in Poole days claimed to it is true).

Regards

Roy

Offline elmo

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2011, 07:37:26 PM »
After a long day out, I arrive home to find my club hall had arrived. It is at this moment in time doing the rounds to run it in.
A very quick review - Dapol have taken note about those horrible screws on the Brit and have used nuts on the wheels. A tool is provided in the bits bag. Also of note is the use of a washer on the driving wheel between the drive and connecting rods. Same as the Brit, it means that the driving rod does not have to be bent for it to line up with the cylinders (like farish & Ixion locos) and is not stuck out at an angle like previous dapol.
The loco has the same enclosed gear cogs as the Brit so less chance of fluff getting into the works. As with the Brit the paperwork states 50 hours before the body has to come off (1 screw) for oil to be applied.
I prefer the all metal casting of the wheels over the plastic inserts. I dont know what extra it would put on the price for the spokes to painted a more appropriate colour, but is something that I am willing to do as a trade off for the better wheel.
I have not pulled anything yet but the traction tyre should ensure it beats the Ixion manor which pulls all I wish without tyres. Still running in but I can say that the loco runs very smoothly from a crawl upwards.
Sofar very impressed. I will be buying more and my farish Halls complete with my own enhancements look destined to remain in the display cabinet.
Elmo

Offline Sithlord75

• N Gauge Society Number: 13892
  • 2mm Association Number: 4430
    • Sithlord's Railway Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 07:50:49 AM »
Quick video of Kimberly Hall on my nowhere near finished layout.

running is great in this vid - thanks for uploading.  The wheels are a turn off.  I know I can paint them but why??  Fixing errors isn't modelling (putting headcodes on is however - just to highlight the difference!)
Kevin Knight
"Do or do not - there is no try"

My blog thingo can be found here: http://www.sithlordsrailwayblog.blogspot.com

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 11:13:53 PM »
I've improved my Hall with painted wheels, thinned crossheads and all the motion painted to match:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/41123-dapol-hall/page__view__findpost__p__460509

Makes a big difference IMHO.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2011, 04:09:13 PM »
I've improved my Hall with painted wheels, thinned crossheads and all the motion painted to match:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/41123-dapol-hall/page__view__findpost__p__460509

Makes a big difference IMHO.

Cheers,
Alan

Excellent work, Alan. It has made a world of difference to a rather 'odd' looking loco :thumbsup:

Offline barkfast

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 04:44:08 AM »

Great work Alan - looks amazing!

Whats the running qualities like?

Offline Crackerbill

• N Gauge Society Number: 21694
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 05:32:54 PM »
I am impressed by the reports in this forum on this loco, therefore I have made an order with Hattons today for a Kimberley Hall.  (name of my grandaughter - Kimberley not Hall!!) :smiley-laughing:

I expect the model within the next few days and am looking foreward to it.  I will of course report on the quality of running as soon as I run it in. 

I did request it to be delivered by Royal Mail,  due to the horror stories reported earlier.

Offline elmo

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 07:14:17 PM »
I am impressed by the reports in this forum on this loco, therefore I have made an order with Hattons today for a Kimberley Hall.  (name of my grandaughter - Kimberley not Hall!!) :smiley-laughing:

I expect the model within the next few days and am looking foreward to it.  I will of course report on the quality of running as soon as I run it in. 

I did request it to be delivered by Royal Mail,  due to the horror stories reported earlier.

I hope all goes well. My two are still doing fine but I have not got round to painting the wheels yet. I will be having one pristine ex-works and the other rather filthy.
Pleased to hear that your grandaughter is not named hall :-X ;D

Offline Elvinley

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 10:20:48 PM »
http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=38967

Thay have done exactly the same thing as with the Brit. Gone and painted everything that horrible grey.

Why won't they listen to what everyone wants?

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »

Thay have done exactly the same thing as with the Brit. Gone and painted everything that horrible grey.

It's emphasised given that this loco's bodywork is black, highlighting just how grey the wheels are.

Dapol are like that though - they don't like to admit their wrong, instead coming up with ropey reasons why it's right...

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Sithlord75

• N Gauge Society Number: 13892
  • 2mm Association Number: 4430
    • Sithlord's Railway Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 10:46:01 PM »

It's emphasised given that this loco's bodywork is black, highlighting just how grey the wheels are.

Dapol are like that though - they don't like to admit their wrong, instead coming up with ropey reasons why it's right...

Cheers,
Alan

And they have their band of supporters who help with the justification - almost like they are a political party, rather than a business!  I expect politicians to preach about issues, but a business should be listening to their customers.  The price changes in the B1 speak volume for what the market chose.   Ho hum - I will wait for the inevitable price drop on the Hall before I get one and then I will fix the errors before I do some modelling with weathering, headcodes and what not.
Kevin Knight
"Do or do not - there is no try"

My blog thingo can be found here: http://www.sithlordsrailwayblog.blogspot.com

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2011, 10:50:13 PM »
And they have their band of supporters who help with the justification - almost like they are a political party, rather than a business! 

Yes, sadly there are many Dapol fanboys. I don't mind folk liking products, but it can go too far.

The price changes in the B1 speak volume for what the market chose.   Ho hum - I will wait for the inevitable price drop on the Hall before I get one and then I will fix the errors before I do some modelling with weathering, headcodes and what not.

Already the market has spoken - the first Halls on ebay were selling 20 under the cheapest box-shifter....

...why do you think I got one! Would never have paid retail for it!!

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything