!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: restarting Second chance junction (really needs a better name!)  (Read 3166 times)

Offline sean Half-pint works

• Trade Count: (0)
  • trains, planes, tanks, bikes, and CHEEEESE
    • Awards
OOOKKKAAAYYY Guys and gals,

Lets get to it, as I mentioned in my intro, Im pretty much a jack of all trades, so this should work out without to many issues on the technical side of life, im sticking with DC control for the mo, but wiring for DCC, just in case I change my mind later on!

I tend to model on a shoe string, so many of my methods may not be the 'done thing' but there is sometimes method in the madness, I am from an engineering/ art and design background, so cretive thoughts and often slightly insane ideas are common, so please, anything that looks a little odd, bare with, and feel free to comment! anyway enough of that!

The original concept for second chance junction was based on the fact I was given some aged stock i the form of a GNER liveried HST set and a class 47 with 6 HAA wagons, since then the hst and HAA's have been sold to fund other projects, but my lovely little 47 has remained and will even when she dies and becomes a shelf model or a dummy unit!

Now I am looking at the period at the end of sectorisation, and early privetisation, so that should give me some room to play  with different liveries, and a decent range of stock, from aged Mk2's to the (at that point) new 59's and Mk3 coaches, I hope to get a mix of freight and passenger workings, as my OO layout is pure frieght set in 1964, so it will be nice to have a mix.

Stock wise, I want a couple of DMU's (sprinters, and possibly a super sprinter!) at least a few more 47's maybe an 86 or 85, and a couple of HST's, along with at least two 56's (love them!) a 37 and either a 90 or a 58. Maybe on 08 or 09 lurking around for good measure, I havent decided yet, again, any suggestions are welcomed!

the setting is again undecided, I quite like the NSE livery, and intercity, so that is pointing to a southernish location, possibly West coast, so I can still have my loco hauled passenger trains in with the HST's the other option is on the scottish borders.

Im thinking multi layered, with a station very similar to New street (with the shopping center above the rails!) with the fiddle yard out of sight, I definatly fancy overhead electrics, but I think I shall keep these as non working as the boards I have come into 3 sections...

Next I need to devise a rough track plan and get hold of some track and a decent DC controller for N gauge!

Thats all for now, hope you enjoyed the waffle, hopefully there will be some pics soon enough!

Sean

Offline Christina

• Choo choo!
    • Awards
Re: restarting Second chance junction (really needs a better name!)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 01:32:09 AM »
Sounds good! But we all know there's no reason not to have a few dual voltage EMUs in there! :D A 3rd rail is a nice feature to model! could have a section where a newer AC overhead line meets an older 3rd rail line ;D

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 01:36:04 AM »
Now that is an idea and a half Christina! maybe one of the lines could be undergoing its conversion, now what would I use for thrird rail in N?? I know Peco mke code 60 rail for the job in 4MM but thats heavier than the code 55 I have for N.... ideas??
Also what classes of EMU are you thinking (Ive always modeled DMU's so thats a little out my area!)

:thankyousign:

Offline Christina

• Choo choo!
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 01:42:11 AM »
Code 40 rail is what I was thinking of using on my layout, but yet stuck on where to get it.

My layout will be a fictional branch of the Merseyrail Northern Line, so mine will be Class 507/8s and the occasional 502. I honestly don't have a clue on what emus are available for NSE. I just thought it would be a neat idea to have some Victorian station buildings mixed in with some funky 60s concrete extension :D

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 02:05:59 AM »
Sounds like you need a magnifying glass for code 40!
I know these guys are in the states but they sell indevidual code 40 rails, if that helps you out any??
http://www.nscalesupply.com/MEE/MEE-Track.html

also these seem to be UK based! (who doesnt love google!)

http://www.britishfinescale.com/

Im still tempted to get a dummy EMU kit and have it towed in by a class 50 in revised NSE livery! I know the 313, 321 and 423s were NSE...

Im thinking a mostly victorian station, say, York styled, with a sweeping curve platform and lots of bits both in and out of cover, with lots of more modern fetures added on, so a bit of 60's, a little art deco and some 80's-90's oddfs and ends...

:D thanks for the ideas!

Offline Fratton

• N Gauge Society Number: 23974
  • 2mm Association Number: 4766
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 01:33:15 PM »
Now that is an idea and a half Christina! maybe one of the lines could be undergoing its conversion, now what would I use for thrird rail in N?? I know Peco mke code 60 rail for the job in 4MM but thats heavier than the code 55 I have for N.... ideas??
Also what classes of EMU are you thinking (Ive always modeled DMU's so thats a little out my area!)

:thankyousign:

for code 40 rail join the 2mm association they sell it through there shop in 5m coils and at a good price too,,,,,,,
Charlie.

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
OOOH, do they sell to non members?? and is there a link please?

:thankyousign: :thankyousign: :thankyousign: :laughabovepost:

Sean

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 06:34:53 PM »
Or, message a member called 'Wayne Kinney' on here as he supply's Code 40 rail.  I've used it and it's superb. 

I'm afraid that you'll need to build your own NSE EMU's as they don't exist 'Ready To Roll'.  But, that's part of the fun.  ;)

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 06:52:48 PM »
I will get in touch when I get paid next!

I do love kit bashing, and with some many nice examples on hear to draw inspitation from whats not to love ;) at least there are a really wide selection of class 47 liveries to choose! (intercity and RES are two I really want!)

Sean

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 10:50:02 PM »
A little tinkering (I got bored OK) with Sketchup I have got a rough of the arches I am thinking for my station, Im working on a track plan, but SCRAM is annoying me!  :doh:

Thoughts peoples???

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 12:27:58 AM »
Please be gentle, this is my first attempt with SCARM, this is a loose track plan for SCJ, I cannot work out how to add things like platforms, buildings, scenic breaks, backscene and so on!

the upper part of the layout is the fiddle yard, three roads for the outer line, two for the inner, and a half loop for branch services, most of the scenary will be station with OHE on all but the branch, which will be 3RD rail electric., I think I will tinker a bit more, as I would like a couple of head shunts and room to run locos around trains, or change locos and so on.

this is another view for your enjoyment,

as I say im fairly new to computer track design! does anyone know if you can 'cut' the length of the flexi track lengths?

Also all thoughts and sugestions please :)

Sean

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 08:34:41 AM »
Looks like you have a fair amount of space to work with, Sean!

I'll leave comments on the plan to those who know much more than I do.

I've struggled with SCARM so started using AnyRail that for me is a lot easier to work with.

I'm still on DC although wired for DCC and use a Gaugemaster D controller that works very nicely. Gaugemaster kit has a good reputation and an excellent lifetime warranty

Enjoy the build.

BTW the arches look really nice. How do you plan making them, 3D printing?

Dave G

Offline Christina

• Choo choo!
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 09:40:11 AM »
If you right click when manipulating the flex track, it'll cut it where the cursor is. If you need any help with it send me a PM and I'll see what I can do

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 09:48:11 AM »
I have a good deal of room, but that layout drawing aint to scale either,,, thats to give an idea of what im aiming at, I have some very deep boards, so I can have some very generous curves whihc (IMHO) always look better than tight ones for a mainline.

I will have a look at Anyrail later on...  :thankyousign:

Can just a bog standard gaugemaster controller be used on N gauge? or do they make ones for the littler gauges?

the arches, i will  be resin cast using a wooden master, i will need a good few for the station i have in mind...

Thanks for the info Christina, appreciate it! I will have another go at that later on

Sean

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 11:28:32 AM »

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal