!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Shed layout - Japanese Phase - Hachirōyama  (Read 31973 times)

cornish yorkie and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
Re: Shed layout - Japanese Phase - Hachirōyama
« Reply #210 on: May 21, 2020, 04:02:13 PM »
Not done a huge amount this week as have been struggling with back/nerve pain which limits my mobility and capability to sit hunched over a magnifier.

Decided to give the residents a rooftop Jacuzzi

The other half of this building is also being pressed into action. Cut out done for a roller door and am using the holes in the wall as security lights and have fitted covers.

I have some of these 0402 LEDs purchased from China, they are bi-colour red/white so will be wiring for white, decided to buy them as they are just a little bit too small for me to solder myself with my old magnifier.

I also put two of the Sankai kits together, the playground equipment is in the school now and the water tank is to be installed at the farm, the tank alone was 14 pieces! - pictures to follow

Offline Dave_K

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24637
    • davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: May 21, 2020, 05:31:30 PM »
Looks a very interesting track plan - I'm in the process of planning a possible shed build too. Trying to get 4 continues loops, a yard and a depot without it looking like a tail-chaser is a tall order. Also struggling to achieve it with KATO parts on RailModeller Pro. Look forward to seeing how you progress.
- Dave

Offline Lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #212 on: May 21, 2020, 06:27:11 PM »
@Dave_K  the reason I only have two full loops is that my upper boards are only 20" deep and I needed some space for scenery/buildings.
It also made quite a difference using the double track banked curve at either end, it also makes the trains look good as they speed round.
Have you tried using SCARM for your layout planning? I know there is a limit to how many pieces you can use on the free version but you can do multiple plans. Don't know if any of these would inspire you https://www.katousa.com/track-plans/n-plans.html

Offline Dave_K

• davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
« Reply #213 on: May 21, 2020, 09:06:59 PM »
@Dave_K  the reason I only have two full loops is that my upper boards are only 20" deep and I needed some space for scenery/buildings.
It also made quite a difference using the double track banked curve at either end, it also makes the trains look good as they speed round.
Have you tried using SCARM for your layout planning? I know there is a limit to how many pieces you can use on the free version but you can do multiple plans. Don't know if any of these would inspire you https://www.katousa.com/track-plans/n-plans.html

Thanks for the link Laurence. I just forked out 40 for the  Rail Modeller Pro so at the moment not buying anything more, but will have a go at SCARM free version.
- Dave

Offline Lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #214 on: May 21, 2020, 10:34:07 PM »

Thanks for the link Laurence. I just forked out 40 for the  Rail Modeller Pro so at the moment not buying anything more, but will have a go at SCARM free version.

You're welcome Dave, are you planning to use elevated sections, I have seen some nice continuous runs on multiple levels, works very well

Offline Dave_K

• davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
« Reply #215 on: May 22, 2020, 10:24:28 AM »
You're welcome Dave, are you planning to use elevated sections, I have seen some nice continuous runs on multiple levels, works very well

I haven't planned to, but am giving it consideration just to add some variety - need to see some other layouts to give me inspiration how it can be done effectively with scenery.
- Dave

Offline Lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #216 on: May 22, 2020, 04:49:55 PM »
Sankai playground equipment just placed in the school for now

Water tank painted and in place with pipework feeding the rice paddy terraces (which are a bit too blue for me)

Work has continued with the 'back end' of the multi with the window frames painted, roller door fitted and door frame

Windows will (hopefully) be done with glue n glaze because I ordered the wrong thing  :doh:, meant to get krystal klear, maybe wont be too bad.

I am going to keep making the rest of the kits I have for future use, but probably wont be doing much in the way of work on the layout. I know it's not finished but I have learned a great deal during the process it is also bloody expensive importing from Japan. I am in discussions with the management (Della) over getting a new and bigger shed next year, possibly 100% larger, so anything I do will possibly end up being ripped up again anyway.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #217 on: May 22, 2020, 07:34:12 PM »
I agree the paddy terraces look too blue but the greener you go with the water the less the plants themselves will show up. Maybe some overscale static grass might be better for the plants :hmmm:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #218 on: May 22, 2020, 09:29:07 PM »
Wot he said.  :thumbsup:

Those pre-wired LEDs look good.... I'm in a similar situation when it comes to soldering those things. Can you you provide the details of the source, please, Lawrence?

I also like the group of kids in the playground. Reminded me of Hiroshima Peace Park.

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #219 on: May 22, 2020, 09:48:42 PM »
@Bealman got them through Aliexpress George from this seller https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32254903503.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.72be4c4dmAI8ng
8 days shipping from China, and came with resistors for less than 1 each

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #220 on: May 22, 2020, 09:51:31 PM »
Thanks, mate. I can see a lot of uses for those, and being pre-wired, so much easier to work with.  :beers:

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #221 on: Yesterday at 01:35:31 AM »
I agree the paddy terraces look too blue but the greener you go with the water the less the plants themselves will show up. Maybe some overscale static grass might be better for the plants :hmmm:

Rice paddies tend to be:
- dry mud in autumn/winter - https://goo.gl/maps/xq52aFDM74vQU28d6
- muddy when the seedlings are being planted
- full of green-brown water during spring/early summer - https://goo.gl/maps/RTgSgRHx8kBm52ua7
- full of luscious bright green rice stalks in later summer - https://goo.gl/maps/eicKRpZjBinR1Nna9
- yellowing stubble in late summer/early autumn https://goo.gl/maps/3rckfvbDP7i5KHYi7

Can't find anywhere the Google car's been during planting season. I once accidentally created the effect of a murky green early season rice field with some cellophane:

World Kogei EF57-1 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Never seen rice paddies with their own water tank, though I don't live in rice country so not so intimately familiar with the process (all cabbages and broccoli around here).
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:44:16 AM by railsquid »
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #222 on: Yesterday at 01:53:30 AM »
Looks bloody deep!  Reminds me a bit of these tanks at a sewage farm we used to play at  when we were kids. There was a concrete ledge about a foot wide, maybe less, between two such tanks, and we'd dare each other to walk across it. God knows the cosequences if any of us had fallen in. It was putrid!

Might have only been a few inches deep, but thankfully we never found out, as thankfully again, none of us fell in!

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #223 on: Yesterday at 02:22:42 AM »
You can wade through rice paddies in your wellies. Not that I've ever done it, but seen enough farmers standing in the middle of them.

The water is not actually still, it needs to flow albeit very slowly. Often inhabited by ducks, who do a good job of eating unwanted insects etc.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #224 on: Yesterday at 03:12:38 AM »

Rice paddies tend to be:
- dry mud in autumn/winter - https://goo.gl/maps/xq52aFDM74vQU28d6
- muddy when the seedlings are being planted
- full of green-brown water during spring/early summer - https://goo.gl/maps/RTgSgRHx8kBm52ua7
- full of luscious bright green rice stalks in later summer - https://goo.gl/maps/eicKRpZjBinR1Nna9
- yellowing stubble in late summer/early autumn https://goo.gl/maps/3rckfvbDP7i5KHYi7

Can't find anywhere the Google car's been during planting season.

The Squidlet demanded to know what I was looking at, which was a good opportunity to explain where rice comes from, and came across this rather fun rice planting video featuring lots of mud (and to stay on topic, there's even a train running past):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x28fPxv7hUE
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:14:33 AM by railsquid »

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations