!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Mill Lane Sidings kits  (Read 4805 times)

Offline AC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14125
    • AC's Miscellaneous Model Mixture Blog
    • Awards
Re: Mill Lane Sidings kits
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 01:17:06 PM »
No new pics of this just yet, but just thought I would let anyone interested how far it's coming along now.

I got the Dapol NEM pockets fitted on Thursday last week, then went up to Blackpool for the Bank Holiday Weekend, so progress has slowed quite a bit now that I'm back at work again.

Day off work today though, so I've started to have a look at the transfers. Will get pics up when they're done and I've painted the rest of it.

I've also recieved a packet from the N Gauge Society earlier this week containing a few other Mill Lane Sidings kits  :claphappy: , so I'll add reports of progress of those to this thread when I start on them.
My NGF Layout Thread: Stanley Yard; a Model Railway in a Toolbox
My NGF Workbench Thread: AC's Occasional Modelling Thread

My Modelling Blog (Multiple Scales): AC's Miscellaneous Model Mixture Blog
My Old Website: AC's Stuff

Offline AC

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 12:26:26 PM »
Almost a month since I last posted, but finally here's an update.

First is a pic showing how I did the transfers. Although they come as complete body side transfers, I wasn't convinced I would be able to line them up and get all the detail showing through the transfer neatly, so I decided to cut them into 3 pieces and do each section of lettering seperately and paint the rest of the black in.

At the bottom you can see the transfer sheet with the complete side transfer for the other side as well as seeing where I cut out the ones that are fixed in place.

Then we have the almost completed painting stage;

The inside was painted with Games Workshop Snakebite Leather with some Games Workshop Codex Grey drybrushed on to represent the wood with a little bit of weathering. It hasn't come out too well on the photo, but I think you'll get the general idea. So far the outside has just been painted plain black.

I'm not quite sure where to start with lightly weathering the outside of the wagon at the moment, not weathered any wagons before. Could do with finding a colour photo or two of something similar to work from.
The photo's showing up a couple of tiny bits of white showing through, so I'll try to sort them out first.

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 08:43:59 PM »
You have got the transfers to cling to the contours of the relief of the wagon side very well.

Unfortunately this emphasises the greater than scale thickness of the diagonal bracing.

I know that round section plastic rod is provided for this in the kit. I would replace this by something thinner.

Best regards,

Joe Cassidy

Offline AC

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 07:26:34 AM »
Yeah, the G and W are a bit distorted from the thickness of those bits. Will try to do something about that on the next ones I build.

Offline H

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • grahamehedges
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 08:16:44 AM »
You could try Evergreen strip - the smallest they do is 10 x 20 thou; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Evergreen-100-10-x-0-010-x-0-020-0-25mm-x-0-5mm-14-355mm-Plastic-Strip-New-/121121616189?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item1c3369313d#ht_2502wt_1018

It'd probably be better than rod although I have to admit you've done well to get the transfers to sit down so well over it and think that looks better than broken (each side) or not fitting tight in to the nooks and crannies. Did you use Microsol?

H.

Offline AC

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 05:47:17 PM »
I used Humbrol DecalFix and a bit of careful poking positioning with a cocktail stick.

I've only ever done a handful of things with transfers before and they were all on flat surfaces.
With the letters going over the rod on this, I thought it would be a good idea to try using something to help with that, so it's the first time I've used it. There's been quite a few firsts with this kit really.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations