!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol - Class 43 / HST  (Read 64167 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Dapol - Class 43 / HST
« Reply #210 on: May 18, 2018, 12:24:46 PM »
Following the screening of Channel 5's programme about the HST125 I decided I should have an example of this iconic train and so, with the great advice of form members, spent many, many pounds (you can tell as I'm now reduced to eating cat food) on the bookset 2F-019-005 along with a TS 2F-005-038, 2 x TS 2F-005-37 and a TF 2F-005-024.....

A light oiling later (as advised in the instructions) and the set was running. Very smooth and quiet with the powered car hauling but somewhat noisy when propelling. However, this was after just 10 minutes and I hope it'll settle down with running in. It's certainly a lovely model and, looks wise, matches up well against the prototype.....
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqsrpa7oz0326qh/HST%20125%20%281%29.MOV?dl=0

However, and I don't know whether this is prototypical or a manufacturing goof, the rooves on the bookset are a very dark grey whereas the extra coaches have a much paler grey. Any comments from the cognoscenti please?.........

Online Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: May 18, 2018, 01:19:29 PM »
the rooves on the bookset are a very dark grey whereas the extra coaches have a much paler grey. Any comments from the cognoscenti please?.........

You appear to have put your finger on an ongoing debate, Dapol have “goofed” numerous times on HST colours, not just roofs.

In reality weathering would make coach roofs unique, but probably with such a difference between adjacent vehicles.

Skyline2uk

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: May 18, 2018, 01:52:13 PM »
Guess I'll just use my gas operated (not by me!) viewing stool at a lower level so I can't see them, then

Offline davidinyork

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #213 on: May 18, 2018, 02:43:16 PM »
the rooves on the bookset are a very dark grey whereas the extra coaches have a much paler grey. Any comments from the cognoscenti please?.........

You appear to have put your finger on an ongoing debate, Dapol have “goofed” numerous times on HST colours, not just roofs.

In reality weathering would make coach roofs unique, but probably with such a difference between adjacent vehicles.

Skyline2uk

Have they done it again with the most recent batch? Would have thought they'd have got that sorted now, given how many runs have been done in all the BR-era liveries.

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #214 on: May 18, 2018, 04:14:00 PM »
 There are some roof inaccuracies - which I don't mind - and they wouldn't be Dapol models if there weren't some livery faults.

Though having said that, as @Lindi highlights, there's a prototype for everything.
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #215 on: May 18, 2018, 10:55:16 PM »
Guess I'll just use my gas operated (not by me!) viewing stool at a lower level so I can't see them, then

Ongoing problem that Dapol had right from the start on these - even the first runs.

I ended up popping the roofs that were light grey and respraying them Humbrol satin black 85 which is a good match for those that are black.

Looks a lot better.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: May 18, 2018, 11:19:33 PM »
FGW coaches, should have blue roofs. Dapol decided black was better! ???
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #217 on: May 18, 2018, 11:53:40 PM »
FGW coaches, should have blue roofs. Dapol decided black was better! ???

They look grey in this photo.

:worried:

I think these first two are very dirty:

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/620016/

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/606515/

I don't have any doubt these are blue:

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/606429/

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/606603/

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/606593/

And to prove there's a prototype for everything, this buffet looks black:

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/606431/

:D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 11:55:45 PM by RailGooner »

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #218 on: May 19, 2018, 07:48:54 AM »
Yep, all FGW coaches have blue roofs. I’m actually happy Dapol got it wrong - they all end up filthy quite quickly and there’s a very clear delineation where the wash plants don’t reach, so it does look like they’ve got black roofs.

More annoying for me is the first class stripe, on the TF they extended it all the way to the cantrail stripe, whilst on the buffets they (correctly) left if half height with a clear band of blue between the two. I ended up adding yellow stripes to TSs rather than using TFs.

Then there’s the fact only the TGS and the buffet have the APT labels, even on the later runs. Crazy.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #219 on: May 19, 2018, 10:48:19 AM »

Then there’s the fact only the TGS and the buffet have the APT labels, even on the later runs. Crazy.

Now you've blown the only brain cell I had left working. Isn't the APT a completely different worm? :confused2:

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #220 on: May 19, 2018, 12:03:26 PM »
Haha! I meant ATP (automatic train protection), my phone autocorrected it!

Offline jivebunny

• Awards
« Reply #221 on: March 13, 2020, 01:27:57 PM »
For anyone interested, Rails have made available for pre-order the following packs :

2D-019-010 CLASS 43 HST INTERCITY 125 BLUE/GREY (W43015 / W43190) 4 CAR HST BOOK SET
2D-019-011 CLASS 43 HST FGW `FAG PACKET' (43005/43009) 4 CAR HST BOOK SET
2D-019-012 CLASS 43 HST EMR EX LNER EX VEC (43251/43295) 4 CAR HST BOOK SET
2D-019-203 CLASS 43 LNER HST TWIN PACK - 43238 "NRM 40" 40TH ANNIVERSARY LNER POWER CAR & 43302 “WORLD SPEED RECORD - HST" LNER TRAILER CAR
2D-019-201 CLASS 43 HST INTERCITY EXECUTIVE TWIN PACK (W43131 & W43128)
2D-019-202 CLASS 43 HST INTERCITY SWALLOW TWIN PACK (W43041 & W43166)

https://railsofsheffield.com/groups/3016/new-n-gauge-hst-packs

Finally getting my hands on a BR Blue/Grey set  :heart2:

Offline davidinyork

• Awards
« Reply #222 on: March 13, 2020, 04:56:57 PM »
I hope that Dapol aren't thinking they can use the same coaches for the LNER and EMR sets! From passing Neville Hill on the train regularly, it's clear that EMR are intending to put their own branding on the coaches as well as on the power cars (Neither Virgin nor LNER did this). The sets are now well overdue and none have entered service, but the one which appears to be furthest in its preparation already has the branding applied.

Offline Macnabs

• Awards
« Reply #223 on: Yesterday at 05:47:21 PM »
I recently managed to pick up a set second hand. I was shocked by the discrepancy in MK3 and power car roof height/profile. I genuinely don't know how it was signed off by Dapol. Looking at it, it would seem the fault lays with the MK3 roof being too shallow. Anyone out there handy with some 3D CAD skills? I'd certainly buy 3d printed examples to rectify this.

It's a shame because they are otherwise generally a really nice looking model*

*the GNER power car numbers are not in the correct typeface. I can ignore this as they are so small but as a designer, I will forever know about it.  :D

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #224 on: Yesterday at 06:45:06 PM »
I think the power cars ride too high, rather than it solely being the coaches. I’d wondered about doing a NMT roof, which could easily extend to the standard roofs. Not done it yet though!

Why not change the numbers to have the correct font?

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal