!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Reversing US Passenger Trains  (Read 1912 times)

Offline Rod

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
Reversing US Passenger Trains
« on: June 29, 2011, 01:53:45 PM »
More questions for you - as usual, the devil's in the detail.

Say I want to model a modern-day Amtrak passenger train pulling into a terminus station platform then leaving. How would it be done - would the loco detach, run round and then leave backwards, or turn on a turntable, or would another loco come and pick the train up from the other end?

Is it common practice to have a loco at each end? Most of the sets I see, e.g. from Kato, only seem to have a loco at one end.

Do two- or three-coach shuttles, like our DMUs or the old Budd RDCs, operate?

I have no turntable but I do have a run-round loop.

Thanks

Rod

Offline poliss

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Reversing US Passenger Trains
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 02:40:41 PM »
US prototype practice is to use reversing triangles from what I can gather. Turntables use does not seem to be the norm these days.

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 03:27:51 PM »
If you are running modern image stuff like an Acela for example, these have power cars either end.

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 04:55:04 PM »
Here in Nova Scotia, the 1 (yes thats right 1! (except Tuesdays!!)) passenger train each day comes in locomotive first, and then backs out very carefully around a big balloon track in the local dockyard.  It takes a little while but works, with our train (VIA train 14/15 The Ocean) there is often a park car (observation car) at the end, so a runaround would mess up the first class service.

Graham

Offline tadpole

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 06:22:45 PM »
Many suburban/regional services are push-pull or multiple unit operated, but most of these are not Amtrak (Septa, NJT, Caltrain, CTA, etc.). Long-haul Amtrak trains often terminate in through stations, so can be hauled forward to find a loop or triangle to turn around, some of which I believe are quite long.

I can't help noticing I have totally not answered the question you actually asked (sorry!  :-[ ), but hey, I've typed it now.
Two rails good. Three better.

Offline Jonathan Clapp

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 06:44:18 PM »
More questions for you - as usual, the devil's in the detail.

Say I want to model a modern-day Amtrak passenger train pulling into a terminus station platform then leaving. How would it be done - would the loco detach, run round and then leave backwards, or turn on a turntable, or would another loco come and pick the train up from the other end?

Is it common practice to have a loco at each end? Most of the sets I see, e.g. from Kato, only seem to have a loco at one end.

Do two- or three-coach shuttles, like our DMUs or the old Budd RDCs, operate?

I'll stick a spoke in here.
I have Terminal stations in Springfield, Boston and New York to cite as examples. In New York, both Penn and GCT are electrified, the diesel road engines are cut off at transfer facilities in the suburbs and electrics shove the trains through the tunnels into the stations.
In Boston  in recent years, the whole 'Shoreline' route down to New York has been electrified,  Amtrak trains are electric Accela sets with control cabs at both ends
but formerly, it worked like GC, the train would stop outside the station, the road engine would be cut off, sent for service and turned on a wye, and the station had a pilot engine that would shove the train into its spur.

Some Amtrak trains do run with an engine at both ends. the 'Vermonter' runs from NY to St.Albans VT (used to run up to Montreal) with one P-42 at each end of a five coach and diner formation.
The commuter trains operated by Amtrak from Springfield down to New Haven are push-pull, with a 'control cab' in the leading car.

Offline Rod

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 02:40:49 PM »
Plenty options here then by the looks of it...

I've only got room to model one shortish platform of a suburban terminus station. So I could reverse the train out of the station into imaginary sidings or triangle (i.e. back into the fiddle yard), have a loco at either end of a short train, a push-pull, or even just push the coaches into the station, pretending the loco has already been released and a pilot is pushing it in.

Looks like the suburban services need looking into though, rather than Amtrak.

Oh what fun, I almost prefer the research to the modelling!

Thanks all

Rod

Offline tadpole

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 11:19:33 PM »
It also depends what models are available. Does anyone do push-pull driving cars for example? Kato do various types of Budd diesel railcars - I just sold one on eBay.
Two rails good. Three better.

Offline Jonathan Clapp

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 11:57:27 PM »
Athern made these lovely Bombardier Bi-levels and matching F59 locos.
http://www.blwnscale.com/Athearn%20Bombardier%20Bi-Level%20Cars.htm
hard to find now. must look in that auction site .

Offline Rod

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 12:32:18 PM »
Ideally for my diminutive layout I need a very short suburban passenger train, or say a 2-car railcar, that could be found operating in New England post-1980 but preferably now. All I seem to be able to find are Amtrak but I suspect that just one Amtrak passenger car being pulled by an Acela or suchlike, or an Acela power car on its own or with just one other car, would not really be prototypical. Or am I wrong?

Rod

Offline poliss

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 04:24:59 PM »
There's an article on Wye's in this months Model Railroader Hobbyist. Here's the link to the online version.
http://issuu.com/mr-hobbyist/docs/mrh11-07-jul-2011-ol/18?viewMode=presentation&mode=embed

Offline Jonathan Clapp

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 07:19:40 PM »
Ideally for my diminutive layout I need a very short suburban passenger train, or say a 2-car railcar, that could be found operating in New England post-1980 but preferably now. All I seem to be able to find are Amtrak but I suspect that just one Amtrak passenger car being pulled by an Acela or suchlike, or an Acela power car on its own or with just one other car, would not really be prototypical. Or am I wrong?

Rod

Amtrak operates Springfield, MA to NH CT commuter trains with P42 diesels push-pulling two or three Amfleet coaches
like these.
http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakpix/paintschemes/21947A.jpg
the control cab on the "down" end.

Offline Rod

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 03:42:09 PM »
There's an article on Wye's in this months Model Railroader Hobbyist. Here's the link to the online version.
http://issuu.com/mr-hobbyist/docs/mrh11-07-jul-2011-ol/18?viewMode=presentation&mode=embed

Thanks for that, unfortunately I don't have room for a wye on my 4ft by 1ft layout! I think turning locos is going to have to go on offscene.
Rod

Offline Rod

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 03:44:43 PM »
Amtrak operates Springfield, MA to NH CT commuter trains with P42 diesels push-pulling two or three Amfleet coaches
like these.
http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakpix/paintschemes/21947A.jpg
the control cab on the "down" end.

And indeed, it would appear they even operate single-car shuttles...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Haven_%E2%80%93_Springfield_Shuttle

So there's scope for me there!

Rod

Offline Jonathan Clapp

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 05:06:43 PM »
perfect !
Kato make beautiful models of these engines and cars.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £69.00
Below Goal: £31.00
Site Currency: GBP
69% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything