!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: .....And so I gave it a go  (Read 4676 times)

Offline Matthew-peter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23667
    • Awards
.....And so I gave it a go
« on: March 27, 2013, 04:43:01 PM »
Well everyone I decided to bite the bullet and try 3D modelling.

For my first attempt I decided to go for something simple but what I need for the layout so I went for the POA/SSA scarp wagon. I borrowed the 00 gauge version from my cousin to get measurements and used a few reference photos to get to where I am at the moment and I have to say I am actually happy with it so far. I mean some of the measurements may not be accurate but Im going to order one from shapeways and see how it turns out so that I can rectify any problems.
Anywho heres a link to the wagon I mean.
http://www.modellers-mecca.co.uk/wagons/7591-33-435a-51-tonne-ssa-scrap-wagon-weathered.html

And the first picture of it coming together.

This is the whole body done, you can see where the ladders are going to go once printed.

Criticism welcome but be gentle haha.
What are your honest thoughts? What could I do better?
OK who took my cake?

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
Re: .....And so I gave it a go
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 06:43:43 PM »

Hello Matthew-peter

That looks very good so far.

The Bachmann model you link to has a smooth angle on the upper edge of the bodysides.  Most of these wagons had angled plate on the uppersides of any ribbing to stop any spilled load coming to rest there and then, once the wagons were moving, falling off and causing a hazard.

Also, what chassis are you intending for it?  The Bachmann model has the ESC type pedestal suspension, which is not available as an RTR chassis in N, though the other Gloucester type (as on this very similar wagon http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/scrapwagonssa/h2921b399#h3560f8ea ) is present on the old style Farish air braked wagon chassis - this is the same type as used in the NGS Railtrack PNA kit and I believe the NGS has significant stocks of them.

cheers

Ben A.

Offline 508111

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 06:46:44 PM »
I have no idea how accurate your design is. Though, if that's your first attempt at designing a model in 3D, then it certainly looks really good, so far. I wish that I could learn those skills so quickly. If the design does need any fine-tuning, then I'm sure that others can help. Keep up the good work!

:thumbsup:

Offline Matthew-peter

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 06:57:04 PM »
Thank you you two.

Chassis wise, I was thinking as a temmporary fit the chassis from the PCA Metalair Bulk Powder Wagon (link below) slightly modified, however I shall also look into the PNA kit chassis too, thanks for the suggestion  :thumbsup:.
Eventually I aim to do the chasis as a seperate piece, but getting those done will take a lot more work i imagine.

I have just ordered one from shapeways, so more progress should be about a week. once I have it sussed out I shall pop a link for those interested.

http://www.ehattons.com/38891/Graham_Farish_377_926_PCA_Metalair_Bulk_Powder_Wagon_Grey_/StockDetail.aspx
OK who took my cake?

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 01:32:14 AM »

Hi Matthew-peter

The Farish Metalair PCA chassis you are suggesting is a very fine moulding indeed, and has the advantage of being fitted with NEM coupler sockets and I believe can be separated from the tanker body by unscrewing.  However, it also has the discharge gear fitted and this would need to be removed for the scrap wagons.

It also has representations at each end of the disc brake calipers, and I am not sure whether any SSA wagons had these.  It represents the Gloucester type suspension BTW.

The original, older Farish moulding represents the same basic chassis and has the disadvantage of being an older, less finely moulded product. It also does not have the NEM pockets.  However, the underfloor gear is simply moulded on and a good deal more basic, in some ways making it simpler to convert.  It's also significantly cheaper since you don't need to buy the whole wagon!

cheers

Ben A.

Offline Matthew-peter

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 12:28:12 PM »
Thanks for the advice chassis wise Ben, I had not seen the old version.
Is there somewhere you know selling just the chassis or is it a case of checking ebay and what not?
It does seem a waste to buy a nice wagon and tamper with it so I shall trawl the net to see what I can find, whether just the chassis from the new or old version.

Ordered the print on shapeways so should be about a week and a bit before more photos are on here but I am hoping it will go well. May even inspire me to do more wagons. Already started some fencing haha.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 06:49:08 PM by Matthew-peter »
OK who took my cake?

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 01:14:29 PM »
It may be less of a waste than you think. The perverse nature of mass production on the far side of the planet means that its often cheaper (and frequently the only way) to get parts.

You can print chassis in FUD, providing you use brass bearings (FUD wears rapidly if not). You also need to be careful and dunk the chassis in hottish water so its a bit flexible then fit the wheels. I suspect however that will also be more expensive than just buying a batch of suitable wagons from someone like Hattons (and haggling for a bulk discount if its ones they have had for months).

The WSF material is slightly self lubricating so for some stuff you can print pin point bearings into the WSF material and fit wheels. Unfortunately the material thickness is quite high (0.8mm or so) and the standard wheels are on ludicrously long axles. It works well with 2mmSA 12.25mm axles, its ok with 13mm or so axles but UK 15mm long axles make it really tricky.

I've been pondering getting a batch of 13mm axles made but its not cheap as the minimum order is about a thousand !

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Matthew-peter

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 06:48:43 PM »
In which case i think the newer version chassis will be what i go for and maybe make a few extra parts for the kit, thanks for the info  :thumbsup:

I did make a start on the chassis last night but today looking at it i dont think i have the skill to attampt such a thing yet.
More wagon bodies and maybe a building design may come first  :laugh:

Also, could one of the more experienced 3D'ers take a look at my shapeways print link and have a look at a problem I am having. http://www.shapeways.com/model/998515/ssa-wagon-full-body-copy.html?li=my-models&key=b43f8bddeb8c6b2ce7db3a78fda82f9b
In my sketch up program, the large chunk missing/inverted is not on the body, as you can see in the images, however on the shapeways site it is there, as can be seen in the 3D viewing mode. Any help would be appreciated  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 06:52:55 PM by Matthew-peter »
OK who took my cake?

Offline NTrain

• Advertiser
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13925
  • 2mm Association Number: 4102
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 09:34:51 PM »
Download the basic version here http://www.netfabb.com/basic.php

Load your stl into it and repair and export part, then re-upload. Should sort it out.

Offline Matthew-peter

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 09:42:56 PM »
Thank you ever so much. will do that now and see how it goes  :thumbsup:

OK who took my cake?

Offline Matthew-peter

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 07:10:16 PM »
A quick update, details have been added to the body design, including the doors at the bottom where scraps not picked up by the magnet/grabber would be swept out of.
And also I have ordered a PCA wagon from ebay so that is on its way to donate its chassis to the project.
Rather excited actually. If it all goes well Ill have achieved something that may spark more ideas  :laugh:
OK who took my cake?

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 01:39:13 AM »

Hello Matthew-peter

It sounds as though you're making good progress.  Any chance of some updated images?

cheers

Ben A.

Offline Matthew-peter

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 07:17:21 PM »
heres a quick update image, with the focus on the doors on the bottom. Nothing much as of yet but the moment the chassis and body arrive photos will be up.

OK who took my cake?

Offline Matthew-peter

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 10:21:50 PM »
Another quick update, UPS officially have my parcel on route to me now so I should receive the body in five or so days and the donor chassis tomorrow. Photos to come as soon as I get the two items, and maybe even a guide for modifying the chassis to fit the body/look prototypical as possible on the underside.
OK who took my cake?

Offline Matthew-peter

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 06:34:35 PM »
The first official BIG update.

Both the donor wagon (for the chassis) and the print from shapeways have arrived. Unfortunately I made a couple of slight mistakes to the measurements and the body is slightly too long for the chassis and slightly too narrow . However I am not down hearted and continuing. In fact I have almost completed MK2, it has had the slopes added to the full spine tops as pointed out by Ben A (a big thank you for pointing that out), it is to fit the chassis of the PCA wagon and that shall be uploaded to shapeways tomorrow evening, priced up and once it has arrived I shall put another update up here.

Now with the one already printed, I am going to use that in the scrapyard as one of the stationary containers once painted up. It has been a useful learning tool though so not a waste. I have also taken a few images of the first print on the peco 15ft chassis, pictures below. You can also see the mistake in the body here.

Lastly I shall be making a 3rd version. Now MK2 will be 2.5mm shorter than actual size and will be made for ease of print, paint and add to the chassis with minimal work being done to the chassis, however MK3 will be the full size which will fit with a bit more modification to the chassis which will require 2.5mm adding to the chassis. This sounded like a bit of a fiddly job (for me at this level) but others (on here especially) seem to be quite adept at cutting and slicing kits together. Which will be who the third version will be aimed at.
OK who took my cake?

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal