!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Union Mills locos - photos  (Read 80923 times)

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Union Mills locos - photos
« Reply #165 on: August 13, 2016, 05:15:00 PM »
Green Diesel.
 Union Mills Models are in the Isle of Man the address is
Union Mills Models
Union Mills Trading Estate
Union Mills
IM4 4AB
And the phone number is
01624 852896 I'm not sure what the code from Toronto is ,please bare in mind if Colin is busy casting or packing he may not answer the phone immediately He doesn't have a Website but used to advertise in a few Railway Magazines not sure if he still does.
Bob

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #166 on: August 13, 2016, 07:26:32 PM »
He does occasionally put an ad in the RM, usually around the time of planned releases, he also always puts an ad in the N Gauge Journal. He says he doesn't really need to promote his models any more than that, and I recall him once saying that a review in the RM saw such a rush that he cleared his stock. Currently his prices start at 69 with his most expensive model being 82. He achieves these prices by keeping his products simple in terms of design, sourcing everything but the motors from within the UK, selling direct (no middle man or retailer to share margin with).

The models are simple and rugged, can be chipped (my J38 was done by Wickness Models and runs beautifully) and some examples on this Forum done by the likes of Dr Al show just how nice they can be made to look when super detailed.

True, there is no comparison with the detail, finesse and technical specifications of the latest Farish steam locos, but they do have a justifiably loyal following and their robustness and prodigious pulling power give advantages of their own.

Roy

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2016, 09:34:19 PM »
It's great that these are not produced overseas
Well halfway over the Irish Sea if we're being accurate!  :P :D ;)

Offline GreenDiesel

• Awards
« Reply #168 on: August 13, 2016, 10:04:08 PM »
Thanks!

Offline GreenDiesel

• Awards
« Reply #169 on: August 14, 2016, 02:38:33 AM »
UM locos kind of remind me of the older Hornby Dublo locos in 00 in that both are robust, run well, but don't have the best detailing -- I actually prefer this!  (I realize the similarities break down from there on, as HD locos were die cast and are now very old.)

Does Colin only produce locos and nothing else (i.e. no coaches, signals, buildings, etc.)? Just curious.

I also trust that the UM couplers are Rapido couplers and are compatible with GF and Dapol couplers?

Rob

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: August 14, 2016, 09:12:36 AM »
 :hellosign: Rob , Colin only makes Locos at the moment , but who knows he might make other things sometime though I Very much doubt it .
The Locos all have standard couplings and so far I've never had any uncoupling problems ,like you I prefer a loco that is robust and will haul anything ,now I'm getting older and the Locos are running I can't see all the fine details on some of the modern steam Locos anyway .As I have said before with UMM you get value for your money and the loco will last for many years without any trouble unlike
Some of the offerings available at the moment that last Untill the warranty runs out if your lucky, then they  die on you .
Bob

Offline GreenDiesel

• Awards
« Reply #171 on: August 14, 2016, 01:42:30 PM »
Thanks, Bob ... I also just found a 3-year-old ad in Railway Modeller that -- if I recall correctly -- said the locos were made of metal and were tender drive. I really like the idea of using metal as they would be stronger and heavier (so better traction) but I'm not a fan of tender drive. In 00, I had lots of problems with tender drive locos and I also had an old (Lima?) Tender drive N scale loco that was terrible!  But it sounds as if these problems don't exist with UM locos?

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #172 on: August 14, 2016, 02:50:49 PM »
Yes they are made from a white metal not sure what it's called ,they originally were powered by Cannon Camera motors on a single axle of the tender ,but Colin now uses a twin shaft motor on the front and rear tender axles and with traction tyres.The electrickery is picked up from one side of the loco and I think one side of the tender but I haven't taken a new tender apart so I'm not sure of that. I have quite a few UMM Locos including two of the Dean Goods I would like the other version as well maybe if I sell some unused Dapol Locos at TINGS I will be able to ,but I need to save a lot of money for his next model IF as we hope it's another GWR loco.
I won't get rid of any UMM thought even though they don't really fit in with my layout .It means I will have some running Locos even if the rest of my collection of Farish and Dapol all pack up I also Have a few Minitrix Locos that are also not really correct but again  keep running forever some of mine are over 35 years old or more.
There is no way the new stuff will last that long two or three years or even
Less is the norm
As you can tell I am not a Rivit Counter but just enjoy watching my trains running through the countryside.
Bob

Offline GreenDiesel

• Awards
« Reply #173 on: August 14, 2016, 03:28:05 PM »
Thanks! Look Forward to purchasing one in the future. 

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: August 14, 2016, 06:13:47 PM »
@Green Diesel  - You should get the locos VAT free if you buy from Canada ( 20% off)

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline PLD

• Awards
« Reply #175 on: August 14, 2016, 11:25:18 PM »
@Green Diesel  - You should get the locos VAT free if you buy from Canada ( 20% off)
No you wont - not when purchasing from a seller who isn't VAT registered. Can't take off what hasn't been added on... ;)

Offline JayM481

• N Gauge Society Number: 28771
    • Awards
« Reply #176 on: August 15, 2016, 04:07:02 AM »
No you wont - not when purchasing from a seller who isn't VAT registered. Can't take off what hasn't been added on... ;)

UM isn't VAT registered?

Offline JayM481

• N Gauge Society Number: 28771
    • Awards
« Reply #177 on: August 15, 2016, 04:10:23 AM »

But then you might pay Canadian tax and duty on entry, which, depending on the Province, may still be cheaper, or may cost more.

Offline PLD

• Awards
« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2016, 07:44:59 AM »

UM isn't VAT registered?
Nope...

He'd need to sell over 10,000 locos a year to get close the the threshold of 85k

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #179 on: August 15, 2016, 08:00:05 AM »
Getting away from the economics and finance,  another nice thing about Union Mills is they do unusual prototypes that you can't get anywhere else.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 11:28:51 AM by Bealman, Reason: Bad typos on mob phone »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal