!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Claverdon-ish in Warwickshire  (Read 133905 times)

Offline johnlambert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
Re: Claverdon-ish in Warwickshire
« Reply #720 on: December 17, 2016, 10:23:41 PM »
Some special Christmas trains.

WR diesel-hauled long distance special train run to North and West Cornwall (they divide at Wadebridge) in connection with the Christmas festivities.
A train of BR Maroon Lined livery Collett design coaches from Birmingham Snow Hill behind a green Western.  This loco will work the train as far as Bristol Temple Meads (where D1662 "Isambard Kingdom Brunel" and a WR BR Maroon Lined BR Standard RU Restaurant Kitchen Car were added).

Another train bound for the South West, BR Standard Class 5 in lined green and nicknamed ‘The Green Dragon’, with lined maroon plus a few chocolate and cream coaches.

Up Parcels train behind ex-LMS Class 5.

Down Parcels behind ex-GWR Hall

Passengers waiting for local trains.

Six coach train bound for Birmingham Snow Hill.

Lined maroon autocoach strengthening the railcar service to Leamington Spa (General)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #721 on: December 17, 2016, 10:55:31 PM »
Many thanks, John, for these excellent photos. In the first train, the BR Lined Maroon BR standard BSK coach (behind the ex-works BR Green "Western") will be detached at Wadebridge and taken on to Port Perran via Trepol Bay.

Photos. of the Penmayne portion of the second train hauled by the 'Green Dragon' (as the "Chelsea Girls" have dubbed it) passing through Cant Cove will be posted as soon as the photographer can develop and print them!

The first two coaches of the parcels train are also bound for Penmayne via Cant Cove, Wadebridge and the North Cornwall line. Again, photos. of them passing through Cant Cove with parcels stock from Port Perran and Trepol Bay, added at Wadebridge, will be posted as soon as the photographer can develop and print them! The BR Crimson & Cream BG at the rear is bound for Somerset.

In the fifth photo., a BR SR Green parcels wagon, from Penmayne to Birmingham (Snow Hill) can be seen.

In the seventh photo. can be seen another ex-works loco., BR Lined Green Early Crest 'Large Prairie', similar to 6135 which is, currently under heavy general overhaul at Swindon Works [DCC-fitting at Wickness] but promised back in North Cornwall in the Spring for working through portions of trains to / from Paddington. That is a very fine mixed livery (BR Crimson & BR Maroon) rake of BR Standard Suburbans. Although BR Standard Suburbans were not seen in Cornwall they were in Devon and, therefore, a couple may, sometimes, be seen in North and West Cornwall as replacements for pre-BR non-corridor stock at peak times.

The combination of BR Green ex-GWR diesel railcar plus BR Lined Maroon Autocoach is also, sometimes, seen in North and West Cornwall.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 10:04:29 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #722 on: December 18, 2016, 08:04:43 AM »
Many thanks, John, for these excellent photos. In the first train, the BR Lined Maroon BR standard BSK coach (behind the ex-works BR Green "Western") will be detached at Wadebridge and taken on to Port Perran via Trepol Bay.
The staff at Birmingham Knotmore Street would be interested in knowing the types of the Collett coaches in that rake, as it sped through too quickly for anyone to make notes.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 10:07:37 AM by railsquid »
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #723 on: December 18, 2016, 10:07:46 AM »
The staff at Birmingham Knotmore Street would be interested in knowing the types of the Collet coaches in that rake, as it sped through too quickly for anyone to make notes.

A telegraphed request has been sent to the Wadebridge Yardmaster but, in the week before Christmas he is very busy with the special Christmas week timetable arrangements not to mention the various (off-duty) parties so his response may be a while coming! [I have rather too may BR Lined Maroon Colletts and some will be replaced when similar livery Hawksworth design coaches become available (I hope, next year).]

Offline johnlambert

• Awards
« Reply #724 on: December 18, 2016, 10:29:56 PM »
Some goods trains photographed yesterday.

What would Christmas be without imported fresh fruit?  Here's a Hall on a train of fitted vans to Moor Street for the fruit and veg market in Birmingham.

There's even a couple of containers that some forum members may recognise.

Cattle train, also Birmingham bound.

Winter means people need coal, here's an ex-GWR 2-6-2 Large Prarie on a down coal train to Stratford.

Day trip to Stratford with non-gangwayed coaches rapidly called into service.

Another day trip, gangwayed Stanier coaches behind ex-LMS 4F.

Yet more Christmas parcels.

Offline Mr PJ

• N Gauge Society Number: 25884
  • 148: 1 and 1:1 classic 80's diesels...
    • Awards
« Reply #725 on: December 18, 2016, 10:38:46 PM »
Some nice photos John, with some quite long trains considering its such a small layout. They certainly
don't look out of place, replacing the 1st radius points with the curved points seems to have worked a treat.

Cheers,
Paul

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #726 on: December 20, 2016, 05:37:26 PM »
Thanks for those photos John.
Good to see a container from Messrs Prisk and Jones making its way up to the Midlands. Plus a Castle Brewery one.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #727 on: December 25, 2016, 12:40:52 PM »
Wishing you a Very Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year, John, and your visitors and NGF members. Looking forward to more excellent photos. in 2017!

Offline johnlambert

• Awards
« Reply #728 on: February 01, 2017, 10:22:47 PM »
I've been in a bit of a BR blue mood.

Class 20 on Railfreight wagons

New purchase of a Class 31 with Ford vans

Class 47 in Network South East with new Mk2A TSO

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #729 on: February 02, 2017, 05:03:08 PM »
Thanks for those photos., John. Good to see an update from Claverdon. I'm missing the "Railfreight" red "Tube" wagon though. 8-)

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #730 on: February 04, 2017, 03:35:16 PM »
Too blue!
Green (or maroon) diesels please  :D

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #731 on: February 04, 2017, 04:56:36 PM »
On its way from Stratford-upon-Avon to its overnight stop at Birmingham Knotmore Street, the Cornwall to Perthshire train hauled by the famous 'Green Dragon', will be routed via Claverdon, Warks. to pick up good friends and GWS (West Midlands) members.

Offline johnlambert

• Awards
« Reply #732 on: February 26, 2017, 09:48:28 PM »
My haul from Model Rail Scotland on Saturday

Including a handy stock box with four trays, each tray can take 14 Mk3 coaches.

I just need to work out which stock to put in the box.

Offline johnlambert

• Awards
« Reply #733 on: March 09, 2017, 04:52:52 PM »
Things have been busy here but - inspired by two exhibitions in as many weekends - I decided to do a bit of modelling. And a bit of buying too...

At the Leamington model railway exhibition I picked up some wagon loads and replacement Graham Farish wagon wheels.

Anyone wondering if it is worth replacing 'pizza cutter' wheels with finer wheel sets should (I think) look at this photo.  The wagon on the left has new, spoked wagon wheels and looks so much better.

Three Great Western wagons with new wheels, they could probably use a bit more weathering.

I also did a couple of vans. Before...

...and after.

Another job I'd been meaning to do was to weather the underframe of my British Railways Mk1 suburban brake second coach to match the second and composite (which I bought, second hand, pre weathered).  It's not turned out too badly, I think I'll need to do more coaches.

Still with suburban coaches, I found a generic suburban coach in crimson that I thought would go nicely with the generic crimson brake coach I own.  It's about the only two coach train that my Dapol 14xx (eventually to be re-numbered as a 58xx) can handle.

Two of the wagon loads painted up and installed, they could do with a little finishing where the paint hasn't quite reached every nook and cranny.

The full set of loads painted up; in total I've got four crate loads and one ballast load in the new set.  Sorry the focus is a bit off in this one.

I vowed I wouldn't buy too many crimson/cream Hawksworth coaches as I really want maroon ones (are you listening, Bachmann?) but decided I could have one more; a composite was all I could find, to run either in a mixed Great Western and early British Railways rake or (as here) with crimson/cream BR Mk1 coaches.

Apologies for showing off but here's a selection of my crimson/cream coaching/NPCS stock.  I find it interesting how interpretations of crimson vary between manufacturers and even between production runs (the crimson on the Hawksworths is darker than that on the Mk1 coaches).

Online PeteW

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #734 on: March 09, 2017, 05:54:32 PM »
Very nice! And you're right about those spoked wheels on the wagons. I think I just added more expense to my proposed layout!

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal