!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Northport (Mk2) 1990's North west  (Read 6822 times)

Offline 37058

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14122
  • 37058 Stafford 29-05-99 1D71 1203 BNS - HHD
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Northport (Mk2) 1990's North west
« on: March 21, 2013, 04:07:37 PM »
Hi all.

Well, some of you may remember my original Northport thread early last year. I have recently decided to dust off the boards and start a fresh with a new track plan.

A brief intro into Northport once again..

Inspiration came from Blackpool North and Southport in the early to mid 1990s when Classes 31 and 37s were commonly seen on loco hauled service trains to the seaside. These were named Club Trains and originated from Manchester Victoria. As well as loco hauled passenger, 1st and 2nd generation DMU's will play a big part on the layout too, these being classes 101, 108, 142, 150, 153, 156 & 158. All which are available RTR (except the 142) Hurry up Dapol.

Northport will be 10' scenic section with a 3' apx fiddle yard. Reasonable size station and platforms to cater for the loco hauled rakes and DMU's. Centre road for loco and carriage stabling also carriage sidings. Here are a few photos of my progress so far. Northport Take 2 !! I do plan on making Northport available for exhibitions, but first things first..Lets get it built this time! This time I have decided on using Peco Code 55 finescale track and electofrog points. Layout will be standrd DC

Original Board construction back in early 2012

Both scenic boards are standard 9mm MDF tops with 2x1 frame glued and screwed. Very solid boards indeed. The backscene board is 5mm hardboard. This is removable for transporting.

Cheers all, Anthony
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 04:18:32 PM by 37058 »
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

Ainsley CMD - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=46246.msg584542#msg584542

Next exhibition for SSA - TINGS - Saturday 14th & Sunday 15th September 2019

Offline Fratton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23974
  • 2mm Association Number: 4766
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Northport (Mk2) 1990's North west
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 04:48:51 PM »
lovely clean wood work great start,,,,,  :thumbsup:
Charlie.

Offline porkie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20857
    • My Layout build so far.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 05:15:10 PM »
Looking like a great start buddy,
Has to be the best era to model too. Some great stock to be modeled.

Look forward to your up dates.

Phil

:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1985 - 2000
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

Offline 37058

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 05:44:15 PM »
Cheers guys. I actually started this project early last year, but with a few bits and bobs going on I had to abandon it. But after visiting quite a few exhibitions recently and noticing not many new 2mm layouts on the exhibition circuit I thought it time I finally pulled my finger out and got this finished.

Very simple layout but with plenty going on. 1st and 2nd generation DMU's trundling in and out also loco hauled passenger that will arrive, set down then propel out to the carriage sidings where the loco will run round and then set back into the station (As the club trains used to) But also I will have some shunt release moves (hence the centre road) Originally I was going to have a carriage wash (similar to Blackpool) But at the moment I have scrapped this due to space but I may find the room once I start on the second board where I will have the carriage sidings next to the mainline. I have plans to feature tanking facilities on the centre road....All adds to the extra detail and realism of days gone.     

Track plan has changed alot since I started planning, a double slip point for one has been added, but I will keep you all up to date on my progress. I do have a rough finished track plan bu i will wait until i have finished laying and happy before uploading a plan!! Another point or siding here and there...Always the way once you get laying. Ordered my last?? 3 points this morning but as I said above I may add another siding or loop on the second board once I get laying. Aswell as the carriage sidings I may have a small service facility for DMU's.

Cheers all, Anthony
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

Ainsley CMD - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=46246.msg584542#msg584542

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 05:52:22 PM »
I think it is always good to hear when someone gets back into things with a vengence.  You certainly have a head full of ideas for your layout and I hope you keep us posted with plenty pictures of your progress  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 08:06:41 PM »
Hi Anthony,
Once you know exactly where your points are going, I really would recommend some cross bracing, pre drilled to accept wiring of course.
I look forward to seeing this develop as it's 'just down the road' as it were

Offline dubbing_owl

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 08:57:57 PM »
looks like a cracking layout, look forward to see how this progresses, nice era, early 90's cracking time
consillo et animus ~ it's how we roll

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 10:27:44 PM »
I can sympathise with that, I started my layout in 2008 but only got as far as track down before various bits of 'life' got in the way, including a house move and redundancy  ::)

Glad to see you've come back to it, and of course in the BEST era  :thumbsup:

Paul

Offline 37058

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 04:08:46 PM »
I have been doing a little chopping and changing here and there recently over the past year with layout plans etc etc. I have a big loft where eventually i want to build a large layout based around the Stafford / Staffordshire area WCML early to mid 90s. I have most if not all the stock i need to make this a reality, but its finding the time to get round to building the boards, but like you say Sprintex....Life and other comitments always seem to get in the way. I actually have Northport down in my office / small modelling room where i plan on building it a little at a time in the warmth!! But it may well end up back in the loft when i want both scenic boards and fiddle yard all coupled up or if SWMBO lets me set it up from time to time down in the living room hehe.

Was hoping to have a little update for you all today but the 3 points i ordered from Hattons the other morning have not arrived yet.....Hopefully tomorrow.

Also, after having a little talk with a good friend of mine, he suggested why not a little bit of Scotland aswell, when they started using 37s again for a short while back in 92 / 93 time. After looking into this, i could swap from Northwest to Scottish low lands with just swapping over the signal box and maybe the station building at exhibitions.....Just an idea for now though as i do love my 26s. Certainly have plenty of ideas for Northport, just last night i was looking at the Bachmann Scenecraft 42-126 single servicing road as i have plans for a DMU depot oposite where i want the carriage sidings. Already looking at pictures of other depots for inspiration, Newton Heath and Haymarket being just a couple but obviously on a smaller scale.

Cheers all, Anthony

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 04:10:44 PM by 37058 »

Offline B757-236GT

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24585
    • My blogging blog!
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 09:24:08 PM »
You can never have enough early 90s layouts especially based in the North West. Their time will come!

I think all i can say to this is "My Lordzz!!!!"

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

Offline 37058

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 07:42:57 AM »
You can never have enough early 90s layouts especially based in the North West. Their time will come!

I think all i can say to this is "My Lordzz!!!!"

Richard

My Lords indeed !! We really need a bellowing smiley on here :claphappy:

I have bigger plans for my loft layout (WCML Stafford early to mid 90s) But that is a little while away at the moment, so concentrating on my passion for the smaller provincial period with loco hauled.  And I do enjoy my small end to end layouts.

Cheers, Anthony

Offline 37058

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 03:49:26 PM »
Well.....My Peco points finally arrived this morning so have been doing a little track laying this afternoon, and I can safely say I have now finished the station area.

If you look closely, you will notice I have left a 6' way between the centre road and platform 2 rather than the usual 4' This is so I can add tanking facilities once I start the scenic's.

Not England...But Bad Harzburg, Germany. I took this photo of the Battery charger as they are very similar to ours back here in the UK that could be seen at most Terminus stations and especially the period I am modelling, but most likely not as much these days. Anyway, while waiting for my 218 move back to Hannover I took this photo for reference. I plan on having water (Tanking) facilities in the 6' between the centre road and Platform 2 but also could have a battery charger aswell. The unit just up from the Battery charger is actually the stop Large Chicken :) for the water!! But I didn't take a close up of this!! But they are easy to model.   

A 'Bruce' 156 Sits in Platform 2 but the bonus for some is the arrival of 47060 from Man Vic. Must be a summers day at Northport for the NB Brush to be out 8)  The plans I have for the front is mainly a small car park, road, and a ramp up to the station concourse. Plenty still to do :camera:

Just a quick note. The platforms are from the Bachmann / Farish Scenecraft range. These will be repainted etc and the station building is a Metcalfe kit with added little extra's. This was used on my previous layout and is in need of a little touch up here and there and ofcourse re-naming.

Think the ballast has a arrived just a little early...... :o

Cheers, Anthony
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 04:47:25 PM by 37058 »

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 07:41:04 PM »
Looking good Anthony, nice that you have plenty of room for a long platform  :thumbsup:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline michael

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22982
    • Ebay
    • Crewe Paint Shop
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 08:02:39 PM »
Nice forward planning with the gaps between the rails.

Im building some seacows at the moment and your pic has inspired me to get at least one Class 31, wanted one for ages but its never quite made the top of the list.

Offline B757-236GT

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24585
    • My blogging blog!
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 08:46:29 PM »
Bellowing and Flailing. Its been a while since ive done that! Them were the days!

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £66.00
Below Goal: £34.00
Site Currency: GBP
66% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything