!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New Dapol Hall arrived  (Read 7399 times)

Offline johnlambert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
Re: New Dapol Hall arrived
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 09:27:35 AM »
The BR one on the Kernow site also looks good. Great to see Dapol responding to feedback and correcting all the niggling errors with the first batch.

It looks to have a terribly bent footplate!

Cheers,
Alan

I wanted to buy a Hall at TINGS but everyone I looked at appeared to have a bent running plate.  I don't know if this was an optical illusion produced by the packaging or a manufacturing defect but it has put me off getting one.  Are they all banana-shaped or is it all in my mind?

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2013, 04:47:24 PM »
No illusion at all, I thought about buying one for£70, but all of those on the stall that I could see had bent running plates from the middle drivers towards the buffer beam, so "no Sale", bought a tomix track cleaner for 40 quid instead.

Offline Shockwave

• N Gauge Society Number: 20314
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 07:47:32 AM »
I noticed this as well.  I looked through all the Halls on the Dapol stand and every single one had a bent running plate with the front buffers pointing up.  Thought very carefully about buying one, but decided not to as I knew it would eventually drive me nuts just looking at it.

Pity really, as I really could have done with a Hall.

Offline gc4946

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5936
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 05:32:42 PM »
According to Rails,

2S-010-002 4914 Cranmore Hall in lined BR green

and

2S-010-003 4958 Priory Hall in lined GWR green with "Great [crest] Western" are now available.

I'm considering whether to buy the Priory Hall version - this will be my first Dapol steam loco that I could own with tungsten chassis, super creep motor and cardan shaft drive spec so am a bit apprehensive about owning one of them given earlier problems reported on this forum with other Dapol locos having a similar spec.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 07:39:59 PM »
My Dapol Hall (bought last year) is fine other than the not unusual having to adjust the ponies with my B2B gauge.

Dave G

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 07:46:37 PM »
My Dapol Hall (bought last year) is fine other than the not unusual having to adjust the ponies with my B2B gauge.

Dave G

Thanks for that Dave, I've got a problem with one of mine shorting when crossing a point, didn't think of the pony truck, will have to have a firkle.    :thumbsup:

Offline GrahamB

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 07:50:47 PM »
My two Halls are fine.

When I got them they both needed work to get them to run around 9" radius curves but that's it.

Offline Karhedron

• N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 08:13:03 PM »
I have 2 Halls and both are good'uns. The newer batches are better in having black painted wheels rather than the grey found on the original versions. I would advise to go for it if you are tempted.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 08:18:33 PM »
Thanks for the advice all of you, BTW I have 9 inch curves as well, so will need to look out for issues, too.

Offline GrahamB

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 08:40:52 PM »

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2014, 04:18:17 AM »
I have 4951 'Pendeford Hall' from the last batch. Very pleased, one of my best runners

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2014, 06:05:58 PM »
I've ordered a model of Priory Hall online for evaluation.

My former secondary school was named Priory but isn't the same place as where the hall's located.
I think the GWR named it after the hall which is located in Hadleigh, Suffolk. http://www.prioryhall.com/contact_us

Quite often the GWR/BR Western Region chose names of halls, castles, etc. well outside its operating area.

Offline Karhedron

• N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2014, 07:14:49 PM »
With something like 150 Castles on their roster and more than twice that number of Halls, I guess the GWR ran out of stately homes on their own turf. ;)
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2014, 05:38:05 PM »
These are my first impressions on running my Priory Hall today:

I had to exchange my first version because on opening up the box, I found the loco's smokebox door had got loose in transit and caused the front end to be stoved in, cracking its smokebox.
It's been promptly exchanged and I examined and tested its replacement in Sheffield.

My replacement went round nine inch curves without problems but jammed when it ran in reverse because one of the coupling rod pins started working loose and bent the nearside connecting rod.  :o

Thank goodness  :thumbsup: Dapol provides an Allen key so I could unscrew the offending nut, release and fix the connecting rod and reinsert the nut fully into the screw hole which rectified the fault.
I also went round all the other nuts to tighten them up so the problem doesn't recur.

Next to fix was the front pony truck which derailed from time to time. I checked the back-to-backs, that solved the problem for a while but it still kept on occasionally derailing.
I remembered a forum post about their A4s saying that I should look at the plastic rotating arm above the bogie and sure enough it was loose so I tightened that up. That finally solved the derailing pony truck issue.

I think I'll have a good loco but it's a matter of knowing the ins and outs of the Dapol specification.

Hope that helps anyone having issues with the Halls.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2014, 06:18:48 PM »
I have two Dapol Halls from earlier production runs and they're OK after checking the B2B but I could have been lucky.

It's got to be disappointing after spending around £100 you have to finish building the loco before it will run OK.

Dave G

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal