!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My Layout called Old Warren TMD  (Read 155474 times)

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20957
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • YouTube
    • My layout photos on Flickr
    • Awards
Re: My Layout called Old Warren TMD
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2011, 07:12:32 PM »
Latest stock update - the DRS / Serco test train is now complete, and here it is:-

Well, I say complete but it isn't quite! The rear loco, being 37069 is part-way through conversion. The split-box noses from 37023 have now been fully sanded flush, and new horn grilles added. Here's a before and after:-

The noses were then primed and given 3 coats of yellow, then the bufferbeams cut away and hand-painted red, and the horn grilles picked out with Tamiya Smoke. The body was stripped with Mr Muscle, then primed and sprayed black. Once the black was dry the roof was masked off and the body painted blue.

The decals arrived within 24 hours of ordering (well done to Lancaster City Models!) and were applied once the paint was dry. This is how 37069 looks at the moment.

I fired an order off to TPM yesterday for some items including oval buffers and wipac clusters. Once these arrive I can finish detailing the noses of 37069, and then the pinstriping will be added to complete the loco in a similar fashion to 37218. 37069 is currently 'borrowing' the chassis from 37425 until I can source another chassis.

Offline michael

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22982
    • Ebay
    • Crewe Paint Shop
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2011, 07:24:36 PM »
That test train looks great, funnilly enough thats one of my next projects

Offline point blank

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2011, 09:04:26 PM »
It's looking good Chris, thanks for the updates.

Offline Chris

• Ebay
    • Google+
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2011, 10:18:46 PM »
This week has seen quite a lot of action on the rolling stock front. First arrival was another 3 cement tanks making my rake up to five, all now weathered.

The replacement vinyls for the Arriva stock have arrived too so the Premier Service is now running again and looking much better with the revised stock livery. Top marks to Adam @ Electra for persisting with this as it took a couple of goes to get these to match!

Finally for now, 37069 is now complete thanks to some etch parts and buffers from TPM and a set of cantrails and overhead warning flashes from Fox. All the detailing is now complete and lighting installed at the detail end. At the same time I replaced the buffers on 37218 and added overhead warning flashes to this loco too. As both locos are working locos I'm also considering a Tomix track cleaner with Electra yellow NR vinyls.

Offline longbridge

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2011, 10:27:11 PM »
Looking great Chris and looking forward to seeing the progress.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline Tank

• Administrator
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2011, 10:57:22 AM »
Cracking mate.  The detailing is very good as always.

Offline Chris

• Ebay
    • Google+
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2011, 09:47:35 PM »
Thanks as ever for the replies and comments :thumbsup:

Old Warren has a new resident today in the form of a kettle! Yes that's right a kettle! Tangmere is now resident in the sidings (and occasionally on the main-line) and there's a bit of a story here.

A few weeks ago I visited my local model shop and just happened to have a few examples of my road signs with me to show them, along with some of my other scratch-builds, and the owner made no hesitation in order 20 packs in N & OO! So I duly made them up and took them in today - 40 packs, and was offered 50 cash, but I explained I'd like to have a look at their stock first and among all the second hand N gauge stuff (mostly kettles) was little Tangmere, looking spendid in green. Being a loco that was still on the main-line until very recently in the same livery, and being only 50 on the stand I just had to snap it up.

After expressing my approval of the new Bachmann coach range and its detailing I was also allowed to take home one of these so chose the chocolate & cream BSK to go with Tangmere. I know Tangmere's support coach is a mk2a BSO but until one is available in N gauge, or until I can make one up with Electra's vinyls, this will do me for now. This new coach really puts the older Farish stock in the shade, so much so that with Bachmann announcing the FO, SO & RMB coaches I have decided to sell off all my current mk1 coaching stock on ebay and replace it with a rake from the new range during the course of the year as the new coaches are released.

Here are a couple of photos of Tangmere as she arrived tonight:-

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2011, 12:48:20 AM »
Very nice indeed.

I have been wondering whether to invest in a rake of new MkIs.  Good to know they live up to the hype.

Can I ask a numpty question... what does TMD stand for???

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline point blank

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2011, 06:58:55 AM »
what does TMD stand for???

TMD = Traction Maintenance Depot  :thumbsup:

Offline Tank

• Administrator
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2011, 09:54:42 AM »
Too Many Diesels.   ;D

Offline cloughie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2011, 11:17:59 AM »
Too Many Diesels.   ;D

I knew there was hope for you tank, you are breaking away from the dark side :thumbsup:
cloughie
am I there yet

Offline Tank

• Administrator
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2011, 11:50:44 AM »
Yes Cloughie, EMU's are the way to go!   ;) ;D

Offline Chris

• Ebay
    • Google+
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2011, 03:50:41 PM »
Too Many Diesels.   ;D

Well I'm afraid there's more!

My batch of cheapies came from Claude Dreyfus this morning with new projects in mind. This is what I received:-

Firstly - EWS shunter 08957. A lovely little runner and will look good pottering about the depot once this is all wired up separate to the main lines. This will undergo weathering and a little cab detailing. Here it is shunting the fuel tankers into position.

Next a pair of HST power cars. These are both motorised and are now both working. One required a bit of rewiring as the one of the wires was coming into contact with the chassis block, shorting it out. This is now running well and is quite quiet for a Poole motor, and smooth too. The other was working but is VERY noisy and cuts the other power car out when both on the same track, so this will be stripped down to a dummy. I performed a 9 coach test on the better motor and it pulled the load no problem. These will be detailed with TPM etched parts and fitted with Captain Electra's FGW neon vinyls with matching coaches.

Finally a couple of dead'uns. BR Blue shunter 08113 which will become a spares loco and will receive an EWS livery and plenty of weathering to depict a loco in storage.

Petroleum 37886 was also a no-goer, firstly a pick-up had come loose, but with that in position it was clear the motor had just about given up the ghost, emitting a rather burnt out smell! Both bogies were also riddled with split gears so I decided to strip all the gears out, replace the wheels with low-profile versions and remove all the motor and gearboxes to make this into a dummy chassis. The body is currently being stripped and will become DRS 37423 with couplings both ends to allow for double-heading on charters and nukes. In the meantime 37425 sits in the yard on the dummy chassis. I am currently enquiring with BR lines about replacing the bogie frames with the more correct DCC 37 versions.

Offline Tank

• Administrator
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2011, 05:08:40 PM »
Looks like you picked up some good bargains. :thumbsup:  Great pictures.....another clear day at Old Warren!  ;) ;D

Offline cupoftea

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2011, 10:19:34 PM »
very atmospheric pictures of an impressive layout.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £5.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
 8%
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything